[REMOVE ADS]

Lost and Found Series question

Small question.

Is the Hip-OSelect "Lost and Found" series simply a continuation of the "Lost and Found" series from 1999?

I was doing some collection-filling [[finding titles I need to complete a series) and it looks like they are related, however, the overall presentation on the Hip-OSelect releases are much more elaborate. I'm going to guess it is since our very dear friend Harry Weinger is listed as a producer. I didn't see anything here in the archives or in the liner notes of the latter series [[but the print is too darn small for me to read anymore!).

I believe it was, but with Hip-O they approached it differently.

We know Gladys Knight & the Pips were next in the series before Universal canceled it. If I remember correctly, I could have sworn I read in Billboard that the next group in the Lost & Found series after Gladys were suppose to be ones on the Supremes, the Jackson 5, and Martha & the Vandellas. They eventually did them in the Hip-O series along with Mary Wells and a second Four Tops collection.

Gladys Knight & the Vandellas were both cancelled at the same time. I was working on both of them. I still have my notes on both projects.

An initial set on the Supremes had a suggested track listing. But I didn't think it was special enough and before the next listing happened, all L&F projects were cancelled.

The Jackson 5 was the next one on the list but a MIracles post 1964 was intended too.

These projects were all happening about the time of the Millennium releases. US Universal wanted resources concentrated on that across-the-board series.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Gladys Knight & the Vandellas were both cancelled at the same time. I was working on both of them. I still have my notes on both projects.

An initial set on the Supremes had a suggested track listing. But I didn't think it was special enough and before the next listing happened, all L&F projects were cancelled.

The Jackson 5 was the next one on the list but a MIracles post 1964 was intended too.

These projects were all happening about the time of the Millennium releases. US Universal wanted resources concentrated on that across-the-board series.
    J-Boy, you wouldn't by chance be willing to share those proposed track listings here, would you? I'm curious what eventually made it out on other collections and what may still be gathering dust in the vaults!

Dan

Nearly all the tracks are out now...except for the coca cola tracks on Gladys which you can get on a Coca Cola cd. I can think of one that I would wanna check up on..... You Took Me This Far [[Take Me All The Way)

The Pepsi songs by MARTHA were NOT on that original listing. I recall a promo "Back to school" track but that did come out on the eventual 2CD

The Gladys tracks have appeared in a piecemeal fashion whereas there have been some quite significant releases on the Jackson 5. Hard to remember now that the Michael Jackson album "Farewell My Summer Love" really fell into this category [[the tracks had seemingly been lost).

The UK has really been blessed over the years with the release of canned items on artists such as The Isley Brothers, Jimmy Ruffin etc. [[even Kiki Dee).

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Small question.

Is the Hip-OSelect "Lost and Found" series simply a continuation of the "Lost and Found" series from 1999?

I was doing some collection-filling [[finding titles I need to complete a series) and it looks like they are related, however, the overall presentation on the Hip-OSelect releases are much more elaborate. I'm going to guess it is since our very dear friend Harry Weinger is listed as a producer. I didn't see anything here in the archives or in the liner notes of the latter series [[but the print is too darn small for me to read anymore!).
    I say that yes; the "Lost And Found" titles that were released on Hip-O Select were a continuation of the "Lost And Found" series that was started in 1998. There's one CD, the Various Artists' collection "Motown Sings Motown Treasures", that was released first as a single disc in 98 and re-released by Hip-O Select as a 2CD set in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Dan

Nearly all the tracks are out now...except for the coca cola tracks on Gladys which you can get on a Coca Cola cd. I can think of one that I would wanna check up on..... You Took Me This Far [[Take Me All The Way)

The Pepsi songs by MARTHA were NOT on that original listing. I recall a promo "Back to school" track but that did come out on the eventual 2CD
    John, who recorded "You Took Me This Far [[Take Me All The Way)" that you're referring to?

Strange that the Pepsi commercials [[by both Martha and The Four Tops) have never made it to any L&F releases as of yet.

You Took Me...was on Gladys but it was also recorded by Edwin Starr