[REMOVE ADS]

Contours DO YOU LOVE ME - album vs. CD

I just noticed something unusual recently that I was totally unaware of.

I have the original album DO YOU LOVE ME Gordy 901. I also have the CD that was released in 1988 DO YOU LOVE ME.

I was looking at the CD and discovered something unusual. I always was under the impression that they were identical. Was I ever wrong. The album has 11 songs. The CD has only 10 songs. The songs are different vs. one another.

The album consists of
    Do You Love Me
    Shake Sherry
    You Better Get In Line
    The Stretch
    It Must Be Love
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Claudia
    So Grateful
    The Old Miner
    Funny
    Move Mr. Man

The CD consists of
    Do You Love Me
    Just a Little Misunderstanding
    Shake Sherrie
    Can You Do It
    Don't Let Her Be Your Baby
    First I Look at the Purse
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Can You Jerk Like Me
    It's So Hard Being a Loser
    You Get Ugly

Notice the variations. I always thought since they had the same title that they were completely identical.

Interesting discovery.
    Last edited by woodward; 01-17-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: revision

From looking at the track list I believe the CD has songs like "Just A Little Misunderstanding" and "First I Look At The Purse" that were recorded after the original Do You Love Me? album was released in 1962. Of course The Contours only ever had one album released at Motown, and so none of their post-'62 songs appear on any original Motown LP.

Looking at it now the 1988 CD almost seems more like a "best of" album, with some of the group's other, minor hits like "First I Look At The Purse" and "It's So Hard Being A Loser" included. And 1988 was the year that "Do You Love Me?" was featured in Dirty Dancing and became a massive hit again, right?

And I believe that the version of "Do You Love Me" on the CD was not the same version as on the original LP. I think it was a remix.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I just noticed something unusual recently that I was totally unaware of.

I have the original album DO YOU LOVE ME Gordy 901. I also have the CD that was released in 1988 DO YOU LOVE ME.

I was looking at the CD and discovered something unusual. I always was under the impression that they were identical. Was I ever wrong. The album has 11 songs. The CD has only 10 songs. The songs are different vs. one another.

The album consists of
    Do You Love Me
    Shake Sherry
    You Better Get In Line
    The Stretch
    It Must Be Love
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Claudia
    So Grateful
    The Old Miner
    Funny
    Move Mr. Man

The CD consists of
    Do You Love Me
    Just a Little Misunderstanding
    Shake Sherrie
    Can You Do It
    Don't Let Her Be Your Baby
    First I Look at the Purse
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Can You Jerk Like Me
    It's So Hard Being a Loser
    You Get Ugly

Notice the variations. I always thought since they had the same title that they were completely identical.

Interesting discovery.
    And the version of Do You Love Me on the CD is a 6 ½ minute remix.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And I believe that the version of "Do You Love Me" on the CD was not the same version as on the original LP. I think it was a remix.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    The version of Do You Love Me on the CD is a 6 ½ minute remix.
    Yes I believe so

This messed me up a bit first time hearing it... Lol

When Motown "reissued" The Contours album on vinyl, in the early 1980s, it wasn't a true reissue. It was more a "Best Of...". As I recall, the track listing of the CD is the same as the "reissue" album, with the exception of the longer version of the title song.

Unfortunately I can't find either of those albums in my collection so maybe I sold them or they are misfiled. I was aware of this discrepancy at the time and sent a letter to Goldmine Magazine alerting collectors about this "reissue". It seemed strange as I don't recall any other Motown reissue during this period having the track listing altered.

I think there was also a discussion on this Forum years ago that assumed the CD reissue had a different version of "Do You Love Me" because the movie "Dirty Dancing" featured the song.

Here is info from discogs.com for both vinyl LPs; 1962 & 1981:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Contours.../master/465327

https://www.discogs.com/Contours-Do-.../master/763312
    Last edited by johnjeb; 01-17-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Motown was capitalizing on the success of the song in the movie "Dirty Dancing".

The original LP was released On CD in Japan a couple of years ago for about $10 if anyone is interested. They used the same picture on the cover which is a bit confusing. I have the original LP which has a different album cover with a white background. Check out CD Japan or HMV Japan. The catalogue number is UICY-75839.

From memory...

DO YOU LOVE ME lp was issued on Gordy in 1962. The cd edition first appeared in France in 1995 as part of the Lucky Sounds cd series. As we know, the true CONTOURS version of "Funny" was later released only on a MOTOWN UNRELEASED download, as the one that found its way on the original lp and the subsequent 1995 cd is sung by Clarence Paul.

Back in 1966, the DO YOU LOVE ME cover art and album name was used again for a CONTOURS greatest hits package - which looked exactly like the album released 4 years earlier, albeit with a totally different song selection.

That 1966 compilation was released on cd in 1988 both in Europe and in the USA. And because Dirty Dancing was a big hit then, "Do You Love Me" [[ the song) was replaced by its remixed 6 minutes long 1988 mix on those 1988 re-releases of the 1966 compilation album.

I beleive the real original 1962 album was made available again on cd in Japan about 4 years ago.

JB

Also released 2013 in the UK on Hallmark CD 713252 which will be taken from a vinyl copy.

Leaving aside the question of the album versus CD versions of "Do I Love You", the mono and stereo versions of the song are quite different recordings. The version used on the 45 and mono LPs no longer exists in multi-track format; when Motown mixed it for stereo for the "Package Of Original Hits" LP in 1966, they used an alternate version.

Just posted a similar comment on the current "I Like It Like That" thread, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Leaving aside the question of the album versus CD versions of "Do I Love You", the mono and stereo versions of the song are quite different recordings. The version used on the 45 and mono LPs no longer exists in multi-track format; when Motown mixed it for stereo for the "Package Of Original Hits" LP in 1966, they used an alternate version.

When I was a kid, my aunt gave me her copies of SOUL SUPREME. These were two albums of Motown hits sold via tv and released by the Longines Symphonette Society. One of the recordings featured was DO YOU LOVE ME by the Contours. I had never heard of the song or the group, but I liked the recording and played it often.

Over time, I lost those albums. But when I heard the recording years later, some of the vocals seemed different than what I remembered. Now it makes sense, and I'm glad to know I wasn't making this up.

You stirred my interest as I had never heard of the Longines Symphonette Society releasing any Motown compilations. So I googled and saw the song line up of the two albums.

The first volume includes normal compilation great songs, but one unusual song that I would not have imagined would be in a compilation such as this. It includes: Here I Am Baby by Barbara McNair.

The second includes normal compilation great songs, but one unusual song that I would not have imagined would be in a compilation such as this. It includes: The Answer Is Love by Billy Eckstine.

Thanks for alerting us of these two previously unknown to me albums.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    You stirred my interest as I had never heard of the Longines Symphonette Society releasing any Motown compilations. So I googled and saw the song line up of the two albums.

The first volume includes normal compilation great songs, but one unusual song that I would not have imagined would be in a compilation such as this. It includes: Here I Am Baby by Barbara McNair.

The second includes normal compilation great songs, but one unusual song that I would not have imagined would be in a compilation such as this. It includes: The Answer Is Love by Billy Eckstine.

Thanks for alerting us of these two previously unknown to me albums.
    Those songs stuck out to be as well. As a kid, I certainly knew who Barbara and Billy were, but I didn't associate them with Motown. Re the SOUL SUPREME albums, a while back I saw them in a used record store. Even though by that time I had everything on them, memories from my childhood made me buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Those songs stuck out to be as well. As a kid, I certainly knew who Barbara and Billy were, but I didn't associate them with Motown. Re the SOUL SUPREME albums, a while back I saw them in a used record store. Even though by that time I had everything on them, memories from my childhood made me buy them again.
    You sound like me. You have no will power, neither do I.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

Ah right, I think it all makes sense now!!! I had been confused by the existence of a very similar [[but somehow different) stereo version of "Do You Love Me?" for some time!! Lol... Thank you Keith

Also, I will upload this "alternate stereo" version I have to YouTube and post it here to check it's the same one