[REMOVE ADS]

Great write up on Gladys Knight in 1/15/17 Washington Post

Thanks Bill, great piece

I didn't know Gladys had moved to North Carolina.

Funny to read the story about changing the title of "Midnight Plane to Houston" to "Midnight Train to Georgia," but the title actually had been changed already before the song got the Gladys Knight and the Pips. Cissy Houston recorded it first under that title.

I was most impressed about her discussion of a caste system where they gave artists that they endeared the most the better songs.

I was glad she mentioned Norman Whitfield. I don't believe the role he play after the migration began to Los Angeles has been promulgated as it rightfully should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Funny to read the story about changing the title of "Midnight Plane to Houston" to "Midnight Train to Georgia," but the title actually had been changed already before the song got the Gladys Knight and the Pips. Cissy Houston recorded it first under that title.
    Gladys has told that story for years. But at least she has started mentioned Cissy. A few years back, when talking about the origins of the song, she mentioned hearing a "demo" by Cissy. Demo? LOL.

Writer David Nathan, knowing that Cissy recorded the song first, wrote that he would like to get Cissy and Gladys together in the same room to find out the real deal. :-)

Two best facts about Midnight Plane/Train to Austin/Georgia. a) the song is about Farrah Fawcett, and b) Cissy Houston claims the title was changed to Georgia because she couldn't travel to her own last name. And actually Jim Weatherly was the first one to record the song. There is a wonderful short documentary made for Dutch television in which Weatherly talks about how the song was about Farrah and also discusses the versions by Cissy Houston and Gladys Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Two best facts about Midnight Plane/Train to Austin/Georgia. a) the song is about Farrah Fawcett, and b) Cissy Houston claims the title was changed to Georgia because she couldn't travel to her own last name. And actually Jim Weatherly was the first one to record the song. There is a wonderful short documentary made for Dutch television in which Weatherly talks about how the song was about Farrah and also discusses the versions by Cissy Houston and Gladys Knight.
    Thanks for posting! I really enjoyed watching that. Whoever put that together did a great job. It was great seeing the evolution of that song.

I thought Gladys still lived in Las Vegas? Lol

I didn't know the King connection was THAT deep but I guess being from Atlanta, it's not THAT big of a surprise... I wonder if she talked about that in her book.

I think "Midnight Train to Georgia" was recorded at the same time? I do believe Gladys and 'em were the first ones to get it. I don't think Cissy got it first. Then again, I'm biased, the reverse could be true too lol but I do love that song's back story. But had it not been for GN&TP's arrangement on it, the song wouldn't have turned out the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I was most impressed about her discussion of a caste system where they gave artists that they endeared the most the better songs.

I was glad she mentioned Norman Whitfield. I don't believe the role he play after the migration began to Los Angeles has been promulgated as it rightfully should be.
    It would make sense if Motown biographies could get it right. HDH's departure had Motown at a crossroads in 1967. Norman's quick ascension that year saved Motown and GN&TP's should also be credited with helping to keep Motown afloat during the changing times as the '60s came to a close. But they never got their respect in regards to what they did for Motown either.

Wasn't gladys the one who saw the jacksons and told bobby taylor about them?

Hi!

In his book "Last Man Standing" Marshall Thompson [[of the Chi-Lites) writes, how he determinedly asked Bobby Taylor to go and check out a new group called the Jackson 5.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wasn't gladys the one who saw the jacksons and told bobby taylor about them?
    Yes Gladys Knight did that.