[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Attention Van McCoy Fans - CHOICE FOUR - "On Top Of Clear"

Great news for fans of Van McCoy productions! As of Friday, January 13, '17, CHOICE FOUR's 1976 RCA album "On Top Of Clear" has been reissued on CD courtesy of FunkyTownGrooves! If the reissue label continues in their usual pattern, we should also see a CD release for the group's two earlier McCoy-produced RCA albums - "The Finger Pointers" [[1974) and "The Choice Four" [[1975). Not greedy here; just psyched!

The track lineup for "On Top Of Clear" is as follows:

1. Hey, What's That Dance You're Doing
    2. Just Let Me Hold You for a Night
    3. A Beautiful Glow
    4. Everybody's Got a Story
    5. Mysterious Lady
    6. This Time It's for Real
    7. Two Different Worlds
    8. Come Down to Earth

Bonus Tracks:
    9. A Time for Celebration [[Short Version)
    10. A Time for Celebration [[Long Version)
    11. Come Down to Earth [[12" Version)
    12. Two Different Worlds [[12" Version)

[SEE AMAZON [[U.S.) LINK BELOW IN NEXT POST.]

It's comforting to know that Van McCoy is finally getting the recognition he so rightly deserves with the CD releases of his 1970's album productions. Slowly but surely, more and more of them are seeing the light of day. May they continue until every last one of his productions has been properly presented.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-15-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Sorry, I forgot to include the CHOICE FOUR's "On Top Of Clear" CD link to Amazon [[U.S.):

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Clear-Cho...ds=choice+four
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Gary, I had never really heard of this group before but since looking them up [[and finding out they recorded they original version of "Walk Away From Love") I am VERY intrigued and will investigate further! And of course, Van McCoy is involved, which practically guarantees sheer BRILLIANCE!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Gary, I had never really heard of this group before but since looking them up [[and finding out they recorded they original version of "Walk Away From Love") I am VERY intrigued and will investigate further! And of course, Van McCoy is involve<script id="gpt-impl-0.1839981460013344" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>d, which practically guarantees sheer BRILLIANCE!
    Hey, Tom! You're right! Van McCoy's brilliance shines through on this album production as well as his other, more familiar ones. You'll notice that Choice Four also do a version of David Ruffin's "Just Let Me Hold You For A Night." Here are a few examples of the tunes from "On Top Of Clear". [[NOTE: The following song links do not necessarily reflect the remastered versions from the new CD.)

Two Different Worlds [[Uploaded to YouTube by Soul Beene)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGuXAaH89Sc

Just Let Me Hold You For A Night [[Uploaded to YouTube by Bee Soulera)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un8h62eF3O4

Hey What's That Dance You're Doing [[Uploaded To YouTube by Discoemporium)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEA7xZD63s

A Beautiful Glow [[Uploaded To YouTube by Cartel Soul Funk & Disco)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olO-FSma6uY

This Time It's For Real [[Uploaded To YouTube by TheRAREGROOVEMAN)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IaEYzV2c_s

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey What's That Dance You're Doing [[Uploaded To YouTube by Discoemporium)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEA7xZD63s
    Picked a random link, listened to about one minute of the song and I can already tell I am going to love Choice Four! I shall delve further into this group's material shortly... Thank you, Gary

Picked a random link, listened to about one minute of the song and I can already tell I am going to love Choice Four! I shall delve further into this group's material shortly... Thank you, Gary
    You're very welcome, Tom. As a fellow Van McCoy fan, I had a feeling you'd love it!

Recently I downloaded "Come Down To Earth" 10' 24" !! [[Mixed by David Todd) that belongs to a compilation series called "The Soul Of Disco"... great arrangement, horns and echo voices effects! The high falsetto remind me in Temptation's Damon Harris [[!!??).

Van McCoy deserves for me the maximum respect; his songwriting on "Let It All Out" covered by The O'Jays [[also by Nina Simone) is enough, IMHO, to consider him a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Recently I downloaded "Come Down To Earth" 10' 24" !! [[Mixed by David Todd) that belongs to a compilation series called "The Soul Of Disco"... great arrangement, horns and echo voices effects! The high falsetto remind me in Temptation's Damon Harris [[!!??).

Van McCoy deserves for me the maximum respect; his songwriting on "Let It All Out" covered by The O'Jays [[also by Nina Simone) is enough, IMHO, to consider him a genius.
    Yes, Sir, Manny. Van McCoy deserves the utmost respect in so many areas. The number of artists he worked with and produced during his all-too-short career is staggering. And it was all high-quality material, too, with the best melodies! I don't think I've ever heard a Van McCoy production that I didn't like. In fact, I've always loved his music whether it be his own self-produced recordings or his productions on others. I so wish he were still here with us -- writing and producing.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Hi again, Philles/Motown Gary and All,

One of my first singles was Brenda & The tabulations "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" with McCoy writing and production work. And so many others along the years; as my favorite post - Thom Bell Stylistic's track, "Heavy Fallin' Out" [[Van McCoy was the conductor / arranger and some times the writer). Sadly, general public only knows about him for "The Hustle" and some criticals blame on him as a co-inventor of "Disco" [[an accusation shared with Gamble & Huff for "TSOP", Manu Dibango's for "Soul Makossa" or Eddie Kendrick's "Keep On Truckin'",...) they only can see a minimal side of the rich and poliedric talent of those giants...

BTW the talent of Van McCoy is greater considering the volume and quality of his background and the fact that his life was sadly so short! [[I think he was aged only around 40,...?)

You hit that nail right on the head, Manny. Van McCoy does indeed deserve the utmost respect. He's got my respect, for sure.

For me, the sad and surprising thing about Van is that, given the number of artists that he produced during the '70s, very few actually got airplay and became hits. His own "Hustle" was a hit, as was Faith, Hope & Charity's "To Each His Own", Melba Moore's "This Is It", and David Ruffin's "Walk Away From Love". But what about his 1970's productions on Choice Four, Peaches & Herb's album on MCA, Zulema's "Z-licious" album, Brenda & The Tabulations' Epic recordings, Stacy Lattisaw's Cotillion album, Faith, Hope & Charity's excellent "Life Goes On" album, etc.? You've gotta wonder why those never achieved the same airplay and hit-record status as the others. They were every bit as good.

Yeah, Choice Four's tenor with the falsetto vocals really does sound a lot like Damon Harris!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-18-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Hi again, Philles/Motown Gary and All,

One of my firssingles was Brenda & The tabulations "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" with McCoy writing and production work. And so many others along the years; as my favorite post - Thom Bell Stylistic's track, "Heavy Fallin' Out" [[Van McCoy was the conductor / arranger and some times the writer). Sadly, general public only knows about him for "The Hustle" and some criticals blame on him as a co-inventor of "Disco" [[an accusation shared with Gamble & Huff for "TSOP", Manu Dibango's for "Soul Makossa" or Eddie Kendrick's "Keep On Truckin'",...) they only can see a minimal side of the rich and poliedric talent of those giants...

BTW the talent of Van McCoy is greater considering the volume and quality of his background and the fact that his life was sadly so short! [[I think he was aged only around 40,...?)
    Manny, I, too, love those records that Van produced on Brenda & The Tabs. "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" was a winner! "A Part Of You" was always my favorite. And their Epic recordings were right up there, too -- "One Girl Too Late", "Key To My Heart", "Love Is Like A Carnival", etc. They were some of Van's prettiest productions which deserved to be much bigger hits than they were.

Van died of heart failure in July 1979 at age 39. I can remember hearing it on the radio news like it were yesterday. I was in shock. I had never had the pleasure of meeting the guy, yet his music had so touched me throughout the '70s, I felt like I had lost a true friend. It was sad, to say the least.

Hey, Tom, you never commented on the other tracks from Choice Four's "On Top Of Clear". I couldn't help but wonder, did you not like them? I should have included the music link for "Mysterious Lady", which is one of the album's best tracks. I didn't wanna give away all of its contents, as I wanted to save some surprises for when people bought the CD.

My CD copy arrived today. It sounds fantastic! FunkyTownGrooves did a super job on the remastering. I already had all three of Choice Four's albums which I had burned to CD, as well as their RCA best-of CD on Koch, but this is the first time I've heard some of these tracks on CD from the mastertapes. WOW! Van McCoy would be pleased as punch! The only glitch on "On Top Of Clear" is in the track listing. For whatever reason, the very last two tracks are switched around. What's listed as Track 11 is actually Track 12, and vice versa. Small quibble considering how great this reissue is.

Anyway, I hope you like it enough to buy it.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.

honest man Guest
    Manny, I, too, love those records that Van produced on Brenda & The Tabs. "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" was a winner! "A Part Of You" was always my favorite. And their Epic recordings were right up there, too -- "One Girl Too Late", "Key To My Heart", "Love Is Like A Carnival", etc. They were some of Van's prettiest productions which deserved to be much bigger hits than they were.

Van died of heart failure in July 1979 at age 39. I can remember hearing it on the radio news like it were yesterday. I was in shock. I had never had the pleasure of meeting the guy, yet his music had so touched me throughout the '70s, I felt like I had lost a true friend. It was sad, to say the least.
    Yes Gary what a sad loss it was i remember hearing it on the radio almost the exact day as Minnie Riperton,One girl too late should have been massive,Here are 2 of my all time fave Van connections, have you heard before .cheers
    https://youtu.be/M0cLq0J8vgo 2 https://youtu.be/FyLI1fsfI7k

Hey, Tom, you never commented on the other tracks from Choice Four's "On Top Of Clear". I couldn't help but wonder, did you not like them? I should have included the music link for "Mysterious Lady", which is one of the album's best tracks. I didn't wanna give away all of its contents, as I wanted to save some surprises for when people bought the CD.
    Oh no! Sorry Gary, I was planning on listening to them but kinda forgot... So much music so little time... Lol

I shall listen RIGHT NOW!!!

P.S. I'm sure I'll love them

OK so I have been on a Choice Four listening spree...!!!

P.S. I'm sure I'll love them
    Wow, it's like I can predict the future or something... Lol

I love "Hey, What's That Dance You're Doing?", "Beautiful Glow" and "Mysterious Lady" [[which has an "On And Off" feel to it IMO!) and also "Down To Earth". I also like "Hook It Up" and "Angels, Don't Fly Away"... "Keep In Touch" as well...

BUT the best thing is that they will all grow on me!!! [[particularly the slower, ballad-like ones)

The Choice Four have a sort of Originals-crossed-with-Dynamic-Superiors vibe to them, if you get what I mean, and I like it! [[and they'll grow on me of course!)

OK so I have been on a Choice Four listening spree...!!

I love "Hey, What's That Dance You're Doing?", "Beautiful Glow" and "Mysterious Lady" [[which has an "On And Off" feel to it IMO!) and also "Down To Earth". I also like "Hook It Up" and "Angels, Don't Fly Away"... "Keep In Touch" as well...

BUT the best thing is that they will all grow on me!!! [[particularly the slower, ballad-like ones)

The Choice Four have a sort of Originals-crossed-with-Dynamic-Superiors vibe to them, if you get what I mean, and I like it! [[and they'll grow on me of course!)
    Yeah, they'll all grow on you, as they did with me. I was gonna suggest that you check out Choice Four's "Greatest Hits" CD [[all Van McCoy-produced), but, as luck would have it, it's out of print and the 3rd-party thieves want $100.00 or more for it. Sick!

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Yes Gary what a sad loss it was i remember hearing it on the radio almost the exact day as Minnie Riperton,One girl too late should have been massive,Here are 2 of my all time fave Van connections, have you heard before .cheers
    https://youtu.be/M0cLq0J8vgo 2 https://youtu.be/FyLI1fsfI7k
    Yeah, honest man. It was horrible. I've never been hit so hard emotionally by the death of a recording artist as I was by the passing of Van McCoy. That one cut deep.

You're right -- "One Girl Too Late" had "hit record" stamped all over it. Now that SoulMusicRecords/Cherry Red has delved into Epic's vaults for the two Van McCoy-produced tracks on their latest Vivian Reed CD, maybe they'll delve a bit deeper into those vaults and release those Epic tracks that Van McCoy produced on Brenda & The Tabulations: "One Girl Too Late"; "Let Me Be Happy"; "Key To My Heart"; "Love Is Just A Carnival"; "Little Bit Of Love", "I'm In Love"; and "Walk On In". Just a few more McCoy-produced tracks from the vaults would make for an entire Brenda album! Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be the CD-surprise of the year!

I had never heard [[nor heard of) those Kenny Shepard tracks, honest man. Thanks! I'll have to get those into my collection. I've noticed that the Van McCoy fans from the U.K. tend to prefer his 1960's productions, whereas the American fans tend to lean more toward his 1970's productions. Merely an observation, but a fairly consistent one.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-19-2017 at 12:53 AM.

OK so I have been on a Choice Four listening spree...!!!

I love "Hey, What's That Dance You're Doing?", "Beautiful Glow" and "Mysterious Lady" [[which ha<script id="gpt-impl-0.8373330906981601" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>s an "On And Off" feel to it IMO!) and also "Down To Earth". I also like "Hook It Up" and "Angels, Don't Fly Away"... "Keep In Touch" as well...

Tracks like "Hey What's That Dance You're Doing" remind me more of a Norman Whitfield/Temptations' Motown production, especially with those hot string passages.

Yeah, they'll all grow on you, as they did with me. I was gonna suggest that you check out Choice Four's "Greatest Hits" CD [[all Van McCoy-produced), but, as luck would have it, it's out of print and the 3rd-party thieves want $100.00 or more for it. Sick!
    Seriously? People will do that!!? Wow

Tracks like "Hey What's That Dance You're Doing" remind me more of a Norman Whitfield/Temptations' Motown production, especially with those hot string passages.
    Yes! "Hey, What's That Dance You're Doing" and "Down To Earth" are very funky indeed!

honest man Guest
    Yeah, honest man. It was horrible. I've never been hit so hard emotionally by the death of a recording artist as I was by the passing of Van McCoy. That one cut deep.

You're right -- "One Girl Too Late" had "hit record" stamped all over it. Now that SoulMusicRecords/Cherry Red has delved into Epic's vaults for the two Van McCoy-produced tracks on their latest Vivian Reed CD, maybe they'll delve a bit deeper into those vaults and release those Epic tracks that Van McCoy produced on Brenda & The Tabulations: "One Girl Too Late"; "Let Me Be Happy"; "Key To My Heart"; "Love Is Just A Carnival"; "Little Bit Of Love", "I'm In Love"; and "Walk On In". Just a few more McCoy-produced tracks from the vaults would make for an entire Brenda album! Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will be the CD-surprise of the year!

I had never heard [[nor heard of) those Kenny Shepard tracks, honest man. Thanks! I'll have to get those into my collection. I've noticed that the Van McCoy fans from the U.K. tend to prefer his 1960's productions, whereas the American fans tend to lean more toward his 1970's productions. Merely an observation, but a fairly consistent one.
    PM Gary i guess yo[U] maybe right about liking 60s Van PRODUCTIONS reckon it has a lot to do with northern soul collecting,But i will post a lovely seventies production i love brings back memories when i used to listen to peaceful hour after midnight on our local radio[ with my parents and siblings what i would give to spend these minutes again ,lovely song .cheers mate.https://youtu.be/Q9UA_O_a5is

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    PM Gary i guess yo[U] maybe right about liking 60s Van PRODUCTIONS reckon it has a lot to do with northern soul collecting,But i will post a lovely seventies production i love brings back memories when i used to listen to peaceful hour after midnight on our local radio[ with my parents and siblings what i would give to spend these minutes again ,lovely song .cheers mate.https://youtu.be/Q9UA_O_a5is
    Thanks, honest man. "Goodnight Baby" has remained one of my favorite Van McCoy tracks since the day it was released. His honey-sweet voice, combined with his beautiful music, makes for a lullaby sent straight from Heaven. Another favorite from the same era is his vocal performance of "I'm Gonna Love You". Given his outstanding vocal talents, it's criminal that his two final solo vocal albums on MCA [["My Favorite Fantasy" and "Lonely Dancer") didn't garner hits for him. The one track alone, "That's Why I Love You So Much", should have been massive, but both albums seem to have gone unnoticed by John Q. Public.

Here's a solo Van vocal track that I discovered two years ago. It sounds like an unfinished demo, with just Van's vocals while accompanying himself on piano. Funny, his voice alone with the piano are all that's really necessary. Any additional instrumental accompaniment would be overkill. Here is his lullaby in all its perfection:

Van McCoy - "Every Year When Summer Turns To Fall" [[Uploaded to YouTube by Joel Diamond):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_gXIVOBxw
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.