[REMOVE ADS]

Does a picture sleeve exist for Gordy 7054 - Ain't Too Proud to Beg - Temptations

There is reportedly a US picture sleeve that was issued in May of 1966 when Ain't Too Proud to Beg was released. Does anyone have sleeve for this record that they could scan a picture for everyone to see? If nobody has one, has anyone ever seen one?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm not sure, but I think the picture sleeve might have had a photo similar to that on the GETTIN' READY album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think the picture sleeve might have had a photo similar to that on the GETTIN' READY album.
    Yes they did. I am trying to copy and paste but it's not letting me do that on here. The cover in on their 50th anniversary singles collection booklet. Does anyone know how to copy and paste photos on here or is that not allowed?
    Last edited by Encyclopedia Mack; 02-01-2017 at 05:36 AM.

There's a website called '45cat' which is great for singles discographies - not just for the U.S and U.K - but many other countries.

I looked up the page for the Temptations but there isn't a picture sleeve for 'Ain't too proud to beg'.

Still, it's an interesting website and well worth a look.....

http://www.45cat.com/artist/the-temptations

Here's the French EP :

The photo mentioned by 'Encyclopedia Mack' is of one that was made available in The Netherlands. If you look closely at the bottom left of the sleeve, you'll see the label logo states "Tamla Motown" rather than "Gordy". After 1965, I think just about all single releases in continental Europe were placed in picture sleeves and I'm sure Woodward, who raised the original question, was thinking of the U.S. Gordy release, which is supposed to have been released in a picture sleeve although like him I've never seen a copy.

I don't know if this is helpful but there are these on the excellent 45cat website:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  9.9 KB

Views: 521
Size:  11.8 KB

As is noted on the 45Cat website, these are not scans of sleeves - the first is of an advert placed in Cash Box on June 4 1966 approximately a month after the 45's release and the bottom scan is of the front cover of the published sheet music.

I think the sleeve that I referenced earlier in this thread was actually for BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP, not AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think the sleeve that I referenced earlier in this thread was actually for BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP, not AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG.
    I found this:

Views: 399
Size:  18.0 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-01-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Even now, 50 years after its original release, the picture sleeve for "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" is widely available. However, it's the picture sleeve that was supposedly issued with U.S. copies of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" that Woodward was asking about. As no-one seems to either have it or seen it, perhaps talk of its existence is just conjecture or it was planned, but dropped before the single was released!

I've only seen U.K cover sleeves yet to see a U.S sleeve. Just go to google.com then click on images then search: the temptations ain't too proud to beg. You'll see a couple. One has a green banner with a rare 1965 photo and the other has no photo just the song title and group name.

This one is a Dutch picture sleeve:

Views: 464
Size:  14.7 KB

And this is a German one:

Views: 381
Size:  10.9 KB

Exactly. The Dutch one was in the booklet for the 50th anniversary singles collection.

I had this US picture sleeve on my want list dating back to the late 60's. That list went around the world to record sellers and record buyers. If any of them had ever seen it or knew someone that had one to sell, I would have expected to at least get to know about it. But no nothing.

I can name many US 45's that most people in the UK thought didn't exist - eg Frank Wilson [[Soul) , Andantes [[VIP), Kim Weston [[A Little More Love on Tamla), Patrice Holloway [[VIP), Creations [[Melody) etc - but eventually we found someway of knowing they did. But the this picture sleeve has completely avoided me.

It was when TCMS 1966 came out that I joined the "it doesn't exist until someone tells me I am wrong" camp and I am still waiting for that someone!

It was when TCMS 1966 came out that I joined the "it doesn't exist until someone tells me I am wrong" camp and I am still waiting for that someone!

Good reasoning. I think that this picture sleeve is merely a figment of someones imagination. Let's hope we are both wrong, however, I doubt
    it will ever surface.

I tend to agree.