[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson new release

Any word on follow up to her dance hit?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Any word on follow up to her dance hit?
    Not yet, but something's coming.

I thought they put it in for Grammy consideration; I think she tried to hype it. Did she make it?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought they put it in for Grammy consideration; I think she tried to hype it. Did she make it?
    There was no Grammy nominations. That was fake info that was posted in this here forum and on Mary Wilsons Facebook page but in Marys defense she correct it and said her song was being considered to be placed on the Grammy nomination which unfortunatellly never happen.

Roberta

Thanks Marv. How many singers in their 70s have hit the top 20? Good for Mary and an end to ageism!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Marv. How many singers in their 70s have hit the top 20? Good for Mary and an end to ageism!
    Maybe not on the Dance Singles charts, but on the Top 200 Album Charts, Barbra Streisand, Sinatra, and Tony Bennet each reached number one. All senior citezans . The fact that any of these artists can hit these youth orientated charts is kinda nice.

The sad difference is Mary hasn't hit any sales chart of any consequence and hasn't sold 10000 copies of anything she recorded on her own

She made her career off Miss Ross and the Supremes and learned to sing lead about 1976

Jobeterob. I believe that you left out what in my opinion was the most vital element which made the careers of both Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. Namely, the classic songwriting and production skills of Holland Dozier Holland.

Given the number of Motown icons we have lost in recent years, I think it is wonderful that Mary Wilson is still out there entertaining us. I would welcome any new recording from her, as I would from Diana Ross, Martha, Smokey, Stevie etc. So what if they don't sell a million!
    As Freda Payne once sang 'Cherish what's dear to you while it's near to you'!

The sad difference is Mary hasn't hit any sales chart of any consequence and hasn't sold 10000 copies of anything she recorded on her own

She made her career off Miss Ross and the Supremes and learned to sing lead about 1976
    That is actually true. Much as i loved her i thought she was a woefully average singer at best until those final 3 Supremes albums when she sounded very good on the ballads. I gained a whole new respect for her after hearing her on those songs but her vocals seemed to regress on her solo album which i put down to her pregnancy at the time of recording. Credit to her for keeping active but that dance "hit"was not based on sales whereas the other veterans mentioned on the album chart did it via actual sales. There is a considerable difference folks.

think she has done well with her coming from a background singer to proving herself as a good entertainer and singer. I also don't think she had the support to develop as a lead until much later.
    I remember her giving an interview about her solo album sayin something to the effect she did not want to record a disco album because it was not her bag but Motown gave her Hal Davis and told her disco was IN . I think she only liked her ballads from that album.
    I did like Warm Summer night. have to pull out my MW cd and have a listen. I don't remember likeing it though
    Last edited by daviddh; 01-15-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Talk about fake news .... hahahahahhaha

Wilson is not and never was "lead" singer material. Period.
    She has an audience today only because she was a Supreme, aka Diana Ross backup singer.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-15-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

She has an audience today only because she was a Supreme, aka Diana Ross backup singer.
    I disagree. I love this song:

I fail to understand what is gained by running Mary Wilson into the ground like this.

She is a talented and accomplished singer, a survivor of the hardest business on earth and committed to preserving musical history. I personally think that her voice was suited to being a lead singer, particularly in the 70s when "earthy" was in.

Again, just as when Diana is the subject of an ad hominem attack, I ask - what is gained by doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I fail to understand what is gained by running Mary Wilson into the ground like this.

She is a talented and accomplished singer, a survivor of the hardest business on earth and committed to preserving musical history. I personally think that her voice was suited to being a lead singer, particularly in the 70s when "earthy" was in.

Again, just as when Diana is the subject of an ad hominem attack, I ask - what is gained by doing this?
    Well said thanxal, what indeed is the point......That includes the Diana haters as well.
    I believe Mary's voice always had potential. For me her vocal on "Eight Days A Week" outshines both Diana and Flo's.
    Her contribution to the group when singing backup was always top-notch. You only have to listen to her singing on the Irving Berlin medly or "Funny Girl" to realise this. She was also a great dancer..
    Had she associated her name with singing standards or jazz from her early solo years she would have, could have gone big.
    Would love for her to have recorded duets with the likes of Tony Bennett.

Some great points made above. I agree, Mary has always had a very underrated voice. In my opinion, her version of "Our Day Will Come" is beautiful and it is a shame that it went unreleased for 40 years. For me, it is a gem in the Supremes' catalog. I love all of her leads with The Supremes and her solo material. It's too bad that she hasn't released more recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Some great points made above. I agree, Mary has always had a very underrated voice. In my opinion, her version of "Our Day Will Come" is beautiful and it is a shame that it went unreleased for 40 years. For me, it is a gem in the Supremes' catalog. I love all of her leads with The Supremes and her solo material. It's too bad that she hasn't released more recordings.
    Thank you. I forgot about "Our Day Will Come". I was gobsmacked when I first heard it onThe Never Before Released Masters. I agree. It is a true gem.

I didn't like any lead songs Mary did on any of the 60s albums. I thought they were horrible and always skipped them when they came on. However I loved her on the 70s Supremes albums. She was great on the High Energy album. One of my favorite Supremes album. I love Dionne Warwick but I prefer Mary's version of DLMTBY over Dionne's.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I didn't like any lead songs Mary did on any of the 60s albums. I thought they were horrible and always skipped them when they came on. However I loved her on the 70s Supremes albums. She was great on the High Energy album. One of my favorite Supremes album. I love Dionne Warwick but I prefer Mary's version of DLMTBY over Dionne's.
    I so agree with you on those points vgalindo. Ididn't even like her strained vocals on FLOY JOY and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE but she sounded great on those final three Supremes albums.

When in the 60's Mary was given the rare opportunity to sing a few leads on non motown songs, i have always thought she proved herself more then capable. For me her voice is the standout on "People", and she does a great job on "Falling In Love With Love". Supremes hits and of course it's Diana all the way, but i would have loved to have heard Mary lead on a few more of those classic show tune numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I so agree with you on those points vgalindo. Ididn't even like her strained vocals on FLOY JOY and AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE but she sounded great on those final three Supremes albums.
    Yes Bluebrock. The final 3 were her best.

I am really looking forward to Mary's new release. Here's hoping she gets another hit this year!

Do we even know if she's still with HDH's label anymore?

I think Time to Move On was issued on another label.

As both a Diana fan and a Supremes fan overall, I refuse to let you knock Mary down. She's a capable singer in her own right...

Subsequent to Mary's time as a Supreme and then the solo career that fizzled, she has worked her ass off to make a career out of the possibilities. That includes a somewhat limited pedestrian voice. But she has developed it well, bs worked hard at all the concert possibilities and anything else - spokesperson, ambassador, she got an education.

And stopping just at the career with the Supremes-that alone was saying something

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Do we even know if she's still with HDH's label anymore?

I think Time to Move On was issued on another label.
    I don't know if HDH even have their own label anymore? The album was being produced by someone from their production team, but unfortunately it seems like it has been abandoned altogether. From what I gather [[regardless of what has been reported by various fans), the album was never 100% completed. I think they were banking on the success of the one-off singles to give them more steam to finish the remainder of the tracks, which I believe received vocals, but they needed additional time and resources to complete the overall production.

Subsequent to Mary's time as a Supreme and then the solo career that fizzled, she has worked her ass off to make a career out of the possibilities. That includes a somewhat limited pedestrian voice. But she has developed it well, bs worked hard at all the concert possibilities and anything else - spokesperson, ambassador, she got an education.

And stopping just at the career with the Supremes-that alone was saying something
    Agreed. I am no great fan of Mary as a solo artist but i do admire her work ethic. She has used her limited talent to it's full effect, and if she manages to get this album that she has been talking about for the past 10 years or so i will be the first in line to applaud her.

I don't think Mary got the training and support that Diana did, if she did, she may have had a better chance to succeed much earlier. I think overall she is a fine entertainer. I have seen her live on several times and has good stage presence. I think overall she has done really well but it took her a while to get there

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Agreed. I am no great fan of Mary as a solo artist but i do admire her work ethic. She has used her limited talent to it's full effect, and if she manages to get this album that she has been talking about for the past 10 years or so i will be the first in line to applaud her.
    Its 16 years that Marys been talking about her Clarities album. She even played 2 tracks for my nephew when sh was performming in Laughlin Nevada in 2001 or 2002. Im not keen on Marys voice unless shes singing ballads but i respect and love her as a survivor and a hard worker and a former Supreme. I bought all the Time to Move on downlaods but only played them but once as they werent very good imo. I loved Mother Dear and bought that but didnt care for Lifes Been good To Me but bought it anyway to support Mary. i dont think the Clarities CD will see the light of days.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Its 16 years that Marys been talking about her Clarities album. She even played 2 tracks for my nephew when sh was performming in Laughlin Nevada in 2001 or 2002. Im not keen on Marys voice unless shes singing ballads but i respect and love her as a survivor and a hard worker and a former Supreme. I bought all the Time to Move on downlaods but only played them but once as they werent very good imo. I loved Mother Dear and bought that but didnt care for Lifes Been good To Me but bought it anyway to support Mary. i dont think the Clarities CD will see the light of days.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    I don't think so myself Roberta. Mary told me in Jan 2016 that she hoped to release an album later that year but of course it never happened.