[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight - Lost and Found

Several years ago we almost got a L&F on Gladys, but it was shelved.
    At the time I'm sure the reason, perhaps assumed by some, was that Gladys had a contractual dispute with Universal [[Motown?).
    How come we now get the 1966 unissued, and indeed, the many previous tracks from the vaults on other sets.
    Can anybody confirm why we didn't get these tracks years ago?

The initial L&F series, which featured, Marvin, the Tempts, Early miracles and Tops, Didn't sell very well. Thus, the series was [[temporarily) cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The initial L&F series, which featured, Marvin, the Tempts, Early miracles and Tops, Didn't sell very well. Thus, the series was [[temporarily) cancelled.
    They need to re release the four tops lost without you. I really need a new copy but nutballs on Amazon are selling at stupid prices in the $100 range.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Then how do you explain the Mary Wells "Lost and Found" set which came out in 2012 or The Supremes "L&F" set from 2008? Both of these came out long after the 1999 "Lost & Found" sets for The Tempts, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops & The Miracles [[or the 2005 Four Tops "L&F" collection). If the series was temporarily cancelled, they decided to renew it without a collection for Gladys Knight & the Pips.

Here is one of the most recent discussions on this set, for reference:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ght+lost+found

Boyfromxtown states that it was not legal/royalty payment issues with Gladys that stopped this release, but rather a change in UMG's priorities.

If so many of these tracks have already been released on different collections, it makes me wonder how easy it would be for a digital only release or an ACE compilation? Even though a large chunk of these tracks are out there, I'm sure it would still appeal to many fans, no? I would definitely buy it...as I don't have a lot of these Motown unreleased compilations. There are far too many to keep track of lol. Maybe I will search iTunes later to see if I can easily buy one-off tracks and create my own Gladys Knight and the Pips Lost and Found.

Carlo
    I would buy one, but then again I support all Motown issues.
    I intend to make my own CDr of GK &TP unissued and also Brenda Holloway too.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Here is one of the most recent discussions on this set, for reference:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ght+lost+found

Boyfromxtown states that it was not legal/royalty payment issues with Gladys that stopped this release, but rather a change in UMG's priorities.

If so many of these tracks have already been released on different collections, it makes me wonder how easy it would be for a digital only release or an ACE compilation? Even though a large chunk of these tracks are out there, I'm sure it would still appeal to many fans, no? I would definitely buy it...as I don't have a lot of these Motown unreleased compilations. There are far too many to keep track of lol. Maybe I will search iTunes later to see if I can easily buy one-off tracks and create my own Gladys Knight and the Pips Lost and Found.
    I would buy this without hesitation and i am sure many of my friends on here would do likewise. You can never get enough Gladys material, released or vaulted. She and the Pips are the best.

It really seems that the real problem in so many of these releases is they are way down the list in terms of priorities

It cannot be a royalty issue because they don't sell enough for royalties to be an issue

They either are down the list a long way because they don't make much money or because the decision makers don't value them enough

Your guess is as good as mine. But at this point, more than half the tracks have already been made available elsewhere. And what hasn't been released, will just give us something to look forward to on the next few "Unreleased" installments.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    They need to re release the four tops lost without you. I really need a new copy but nutballs on Amazon are selling at stupid prices in the $100 range.
    I'm with you. One of quite a few I went to sleep on unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Then how do you explain the Mary Wells "Lost and Found" set which came out in 2012 or The Supremes "L&F" set from 2008? Both of these came out long after the 1999 "Lost & Found" sets for The Tempts, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops & The Miracles [[or the 2005 Four Tops "L&F" collection). If the series was temporarily cancelled, they decided to renew it without a collection for Gladys Knight & the Pips.
    And don't forget Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Lost & Found: Spellbound". I bought the entire series as each "L&F" was released, but Martha's remains my favorite. I think it sold out on Hip-oSelect's website, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    And don't forget Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' "Lost & Found: Spellbound". I bought the entire series as each "L&F" was released, but Martha's remains my favorite. I think it sold out on Hip-oSelect's website, didn't it?
    The Four Tops is out of print as well. I need to get another copy but nutballs on Amazon are selling at ridiculously stupid prices in the $100 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    The Four Tops is out of print as well. I need to get another copy but nutballs on Amazon are selling at ridiculously stupid prices in the $100 price range.
    Yeah, biggestfourtopsfan, that's pretty typical. When the availability goes down, the greed goes up -- WAY up. But all is not lost -- here's what I found for you on eBay. Better hurry before they're gone!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...nd+cd&_sacat=0

SCRATCH THAT. I JUST REALIZED YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THE "LOST WITHOUT YOU" VERSION OF THE FOUR TOPS "LOST & FOUND", NOT THE FIRST ONE. DAMN, THAT'S CONFUSING! SORRY ABOUT THAT -- I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET YOUR HOPES ALL UP FOR NOTHING.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

I demand a Lost & Found set on Christine Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I demand a Lost & Found set on Christine Schumacher.
    HaHaHa, mysterysinger, you fool, you! You just wanna be "mothered" and "smothered"!!! HeHe!!!

you guessed.

You're right, I forgot to list Martha & the Vandellas' "Lost and Found: Spellbound" among the "L&F" sets that came out in 2005. Back to Gladys & Co, here's a picture of a "promo" CD from Tower Records with info about then released [[or forthcoming) "Lost And Found" collections from Motown.Name:  Scan_20170110.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  18.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    You're right, I forgot to list Martha & the Vandellas' "Lost and Found: Spellbound" among the "L&F" sets that came out in 2005. Back to Gladys & Co, here's a picture of a "promo" CD from Tower Records with info about then released [[or forthcoming) "Lost And Found" collections from Motown.Name:  Scan_20170110.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  18.1 KB
    For some reason, your attachment wouldn't enlarge. Had to go onto my 23" PC screen to read it. Just barely able to make it out, I see that Motown's "Lost & Found" series are all listed there -- even Gladys'! Do you know which GK&TP previously-unreleased track was included on that sampler?

Quote Originally Posted by philles/motown gary View Post
    for some reason, your attachment wouldn't enlarge. Had to go onto my 23" pc screen to read it. Just barely able to make it out, i see that motown's "lost & found" series are all listed there -- even gladys'! Do you know which gk&tp previously-unreleased track was included on that sampler?
    a man is a woman's weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    a man is a woman's weakness.
    Well, Reese, I searched my Motown Playlist on my word processor, and that's one Gladys title that I don't have in my Motown CD collection. From what I understand, over the years, the British fans sometimes got previously-unreleased Motown tracks that we here in the U.S. lost out on. I wonder if "A Man Is A Woman's Weakness" is one of them?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-10-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Well, Reese, I searched my Motown Playlist on my word processor, and that's one Gladys title that I don't have in my Motown CD collection. From what I understand, over the years, the British fans sometimes got previously-unreleased Motown tracks that we here in the U.S. lost out on. I wonder if "A Man Is A Woman's Weakness" is one of them?
    No, both times 'A Man Is A Woman's Weakness' was released in the U.S.
    First on the Tower sampler shown above and also here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Love-Songs-Gl...ips+Love+songs

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Thanks very much, Carole. I just ordered my copy.

Are there some rare tracks on the other volumes in this "Love Songs" series? A couple on the Jackson 5 one aren't [[yet) listed in DFTMC for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Are there some rare tracks on the other volumes in this "Love Songs" series? A couple on the Jackson 5 one aren't [[yet) listed in DFTMC for instance.
    I only bought the Supremes and the Pips cds in the LOVE SONGS series. I don't recall anything rare on either, although the Supremes' cd contained THE MUSIC THAT MAKES ME DANCE from their Funny Girl album, which had not been released on cd until then.

I'm amazed at how devoted all of you are to all the Motown acts. That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm amazed at how devoted all of you are to all the Motown acts. That's great.
    When it comes to Motown, it's hard to break a 53-year habit!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Carole, I got my copy of Gladys Knight & The Pips' "Love Songs" CD. Wow! "A Man Is A Woman's Weakness" is an outstanding track! Makes ya wonder how such a great Johnny Bristol production could have been relegated to the vaults. The song's melody, arrangement, and production are reminiscent of The Three Degrees' version of "Stardust" on Roulette, which I love. Thanks again for steering me to it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-14-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Carole, I got my copy of Gladys Knight & The Pips' "Love Songs" CD. Wow! "A Man Is A Woman's Weakness" is an outstanding track! Makes ya wonder how such a great Johnny Bristol production could have been relegated to the vaults. The song's melody, arrangement, and production are reminiscent of The Three Degrees' version of "Stardust" on Roulette, which I love. Thanks again for steering me to it!
    It is indeed awesome. Gladys can do no wrong in my eyes. She really is the very best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is indeed awesome. Gladys can do no wrong in my eyes. She really is the very best of the best.
    I agree Bluebrock. I idolized this woman when I was a teenager! And she sounds just as good today as she did back then!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree Bluebrock. I idolized this woman when I was a teenager! And she sounds just as good today as she did back then!
    Yes she does. I cannot believe how well preserved her voice is, and what a great body of work we have by her. I cannot praise her highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she does. I cannot believe how well preserved her voice is, and what a great body of work we have by her. I cannot praise her highly enough.
    Yes indeed!!! She is a true legend!!! I know I've posted this before but it is truly brilliant - a testament to Gladys' talent and longevity!!