[REMOVE ADS]

Barbara McNair - Baby A Go go [[1965)

Marv, this is crazy, I have been listening to this all day TODAY!! Wow I love this place

Well... strictly speaking, I have been listening to the equally-brilliant alternate version of the song, "Countin' On You, Babe"

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  21.1 KB
    Barbara's vocal and the instrumental and mixing and backgrounds on "Counting On You Babe" are ALL much better than on "Baby A Go Go". I wonder why it wasn't released?

I love both songs by Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Barbara's vocal and the instrumental and mixing and backgrounds on "Counting On You Babe" are ALL much better than on "Baby A Go Go". I wonder why it wasn't released?
    I agree Robb! "Countin' On You, Babe" also exists in a stereo mix which is even better...!

And I can't believe neither version was released at the time, it's just crazy

What I like about the sixties is that ageism was not in full effect then.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What I like about the sixties is that ageism was not in full effect then.
    What do you mean Marv?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I agree Robb! "Countin' On You, Babe" also exists in a stereo mix which is even better...!

And I can't believe neither version was released at the time, it's just crazy
    A stereo mix you say would be amazing to hear that for sure - where did you learn that information?

What do you mean Marv?
    I mean Barbara McNair was hardly a teenager and Motown still signed and recorded her.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    A stereo mix you say would be amazing to hear that for sure - where did you learn that information?
    Ah, well... I bought it from iTunes! It's from Barbara's Ultimate Motown Collection album... I shall upload it to YouTube promptly!

Here we go...

This is stereo right!!??

That sounds so good. Thank you Tomatotom.

Barbara McNair was one gorgeous woman!

I mean Barbara McNair was hardly a teenager and Motown still signed and recorded her.
    Motown Records also signed Billy Eckstine, Tony Martin, Bobby Breen [[and other MOR stars) in the mid '60s in an attempt the grab a piece of the 'middle-of-the-road' market. Also, Berry Gordy felt this gave the company an air of "legitimacy" among older listeners [[while defining itself as "The Sound of Young America").

Truly a great song. Still of the highlights of the first "Cellarful of Motown" CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Truly a great song. Still of the highlights of the first "Cellarful of Motown" CD.
    That's when I first heard "Baby A Go Go".

I dont enjoy Counting On You Babe at all. In my view, her voice is not coping well because the notes are not in her vocal range.

That sounds so good. Thank you Tomatotom.
    You're damn right it does!!! I just love it!! I think "Baby A Go-Go" might have the better chorus but overall this version is superior IMO. And you're welcome Marv

My first time hearing it,cool.

I guesss I'm missing something. These songs sound like b sides to me and her voice is pleasant MOR sounding to me. I guess I may need enlightening. Her acting appealed more to me.

Ah, well... I bought it from iTunes! It's from Barbara's Ultimate Motown Collection album... I shall upload it to YouTube promptly!
    Stupid me I should have know that for goodness sake - but always good to be reminded

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Stupid me I should have know that for goodness sake - but always good to be reminded
    Lol, are you the Paul Nixon who acted as compilation producer for the album? [[and a lot of other Motown compilations I now see) If so great work, and thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  21.1 KB
    Rob,

'Countin' on You Babe' was mixed to stereo specifically for that set from the Multitrack for that set IIRC.

[[As per TomatoTom's video. For some reason the first 'Countin' on You Babe' was uploaded in mono).

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I dont enjoy Counting On You Babe at all. In my view, her voice is not coping well because the notes are not in her vocal range.
    I agree with Xtown and disagree with Rob on this!

'Baby A -Go-Go' [[an original Hitsville mono mix) is far more polished with the addition of those exquisite strings [[Paul Riser arranged no doubt) and a much more more polished vocal by Barbara IMHO.

[[As with a lot of Motown product from the time, it is a puzzle why this master wasn't released)!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Motown should have concentrated on these sort of tunes with Barbara rather than the standards and Mo R stuff they cut on her.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 01-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Here's a nice clean version of 'Baby A Go-Go' as issued on 'A Cellarful of Motown Vol 1: -

[[It sounds like the first video was recorded from an acetate and possibly then onto a cassette).

Cheers

Paul

While that may be true, Marv, she was only 31 when she signed with Motown. Barbara had her best years in front of her. By the late 60's she had appeared in a movie with Elvis and one with Sidney Poitier, had her own TV show for a couple of years, and was headlining in Vegas. Her Motown stint was a lead up to better things for her.

Baby A Go Go is firmly in my Cellarful top ten...

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    While that may be true, Marv, she was only 31 when she signed with Motown. Barbara had her best years in front of her. By the late 60's she had appeared in a movie with Elvis and one with Sidney Poitier, had her own TV show for a couple of years, and was headlining in Vegas. Her Motown stint was a lead up to better things for her.

Thom, 31 is not at all old to me and I was happy that Motown signed her and others that were outside of the "Pepsi Generation"! You know that America can be extremely stupid when comes to age and age discrimination.