[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What will be ACE'S next Motown release?

We just had Syreeta, before that was More Motown Guys. Seems like they alternate between various artists releases and an individual artist release. Can't wait for the next release.

Mary Wilson's Motown album is on the radar, and rumours abound of an Originals compliation.

Yes, Mary Wilson!! Let's do it! Lol

Here's a suggestion; how about doing a set for Edwin Starr including both his hits on Ric-Tic and Motown.

My money is on a 3rd volume Girl group compilation. Hopefully a few really early cuts will be included too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Mary Wilson's Motown album is on the radar, and rumours abound of an Originals compliation.
    I must be honest, I would have thought Mary Wilson's album would be almost at the bottom of Ace's wishlist of Motown projects based on the album's original release timeline alone, whereas, the Originals are a whole different ball game.

Ivor

Mary Wilson & The Originals would be more for the likes of Big Break Records to release. They have already reissued the "California Sunset" & "Down To Love Town" albums as expanded editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    I must be honest, I would have thought Mary Wilson's album would be almost at the bottom of Ace's wishlist of Motown projects based on the album's original release timeline alone, whereas, the Originals are a whole different ball game.

Ivor
    I was equally surprised by this possibility,It's not even like it's a good album- anything but in fact. However the canned tracks are allegedly stronger than the released stuff so it could be worthwhile,Ace have occasionally reached into the 70's and the fact that the 60's stuff is obviously going to dry up would make it a reasonable assumption that the 70's will be explored in much more detail in the future. Only time will tell.

ANYTHING! I would love basically anything, be it Mary Wilson, Edwin Starr, The Originals, Blinky, or The Devastating Affair, I love it all! [[The Originals especially ) Nothing's even been announced and I can't wait...

Keith did say in another thread that the next ACE/Kent Motown release would be something we wouldnt expect from them.

I think a second Spinners' CD would be popular.

the Mynah Birds, the Motown age Rick James, could be fun.

The anticipation of what it might be just adds to the excitement. I think most of us are just grateful for the magnificent work carried out by Ace who really do go that extra mile with both the quality of the mastering, and the invaluable sleeve notes. I look forward to many more gems from them in the future both from the 60's and 70's.

...Ace [[usually) release only 60's Motown...

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/search?query=motown

...Mary Wilson ...and other 70s Motown ...would more likely be issued on SoulMusic

http://www.soulmusic.com/a-z-of-soul-music-artists/

I would welcome another CD compilation by The Originals "IF" it includes their final, non-LP Motown single, "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". It was a great record that should have been a huge hit. At this point in time, its inclusion on such a compilation is probably its last chance of ever seeing the light of day on CD. If anybody can make it happen, ACE will.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-08-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I would welcome another CD compilation by The Originals "IF" it includes their final, non-LP Motown single, "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". It was a great record that should have been a huge hit. At this point in time, its inclusion on such a compilation is probably the last chance it has of ever seeing the light of day on CD. If anybody can make it happen, ACE will.
    I agree it was a magnificent song and is way overdue on cd. The two previous compilations were good but hardly essential despite the title of one of them. Let us keep our fingers crossed.

honest man Guest
    I would welcome another CD compilation by The Originals "IF" it includes their final, non-LP Motown single, "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". It was a great record that should have been a huge hit. At this point in time, its inclusion on such a compilation is probably its last chance of ever seeing the light of day on CD. If anybody can make it happen, ACE will.
    Gary do you have a link or sample of this song,i have searched for this song to hear on internet for years now,any help appreciated,cheers.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...Ace [[usually) release only 60's Motown...

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/search?query=motown

...Mary Wilson ...and other 70s Motown ...would more likely be issued on SoulMusic

http://www.soulmusic.com/a-z-of-soul-music-artists/

yes ACE ONLY RELEASE THE CREAM OF THE CROP. maybe someone else will release Mary's cream of the crap album just sayin,cheers.

honest man Guest
    come to think of it ,even Wilson's album cover looks like she's squashed on the.toilet pan, very fitting.

I agree it was a magnificent song and is way overdue on cd. The two previous compilations were good but hardly essential despite the title of one of them. Let us keep our fingers crossed.
    Thanks, Bluebrock. I've mentioned "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" on the Motown Forum a couple of times in the past, but nobody replied. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had ever heard it, or, worse, the fans just didn't care. I'm glad to hear that you recognize that record's magnificence. You couldn't have said it any better!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-08-2017 at 02:31 PM.

wasn't crazy about MW solo album but there were some good tracks, Warm Summer Night.
    to me the disco thing wasn't her forte,. but the ballads she seems to shine on. I did hear the out takes were really good or they may be the tracks that were planned for the 2nd album but were rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Gary do you have a link or sample of this song,i have searched for this song to hear on internet for years now,any help appreciated,cheers.
    Gee, I'm afraid I don't have a link for "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose", honest man. I've searched YouTube for it several times over the years, and, in fact, I checked again just now. Still nothing. I KNOW the record exists because I used to own the single and I LOVED it. And, of course, it's listed in Motown's "Heat Wave" discography book. Back at the time, I had personally felt that, with the exception of The Original's "Touch" single [[from their "Communique" album), and "Keep Me" [[from "Definitions"), some of their later singles weren't quite up to Motown's usual high standards. "There's A Chance.....", however, returned them to the highest echelons of Motown's finest. Unfortunately, it somehow slipped through the cracks and tanked. When you finally [[and hopefully) get a chance to hear it for yourself, you'll know exactly what Bluebrock and I are raving about. The melody, the arrangement, the production values, and The Originals' performance are truly "magnificent"!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-08-2017 at 06:30 PM.

come to think of it ,even Wilson's album cover looks like she's squashed on the.toilet pan, very fitting.
    Your screen name should have been "childishman" instead of "honestman". Very fitting.

How about Carolyn Crawford?

As I questioned up "Why Not?" some time ago. All-Motown, or with Hamilton Bohannon-backed "Caroline Crawford", multi-company compilation, like my Kent collection of Garland Green somehow spanned six record companies [[!)

Really, the Originals, they are an awesome act, whether doo-wop or disco, but a "Lost & Found" disc, would be just like another Lost & Found for the Temptations, the Four Tops, the Miracles, and Marvin Gaye; would still be interesting and nice sure; but by now there's already a hearty handful of Originals discs; whether be from Motown; from Universal Japan; or from Big Break Records; available on the market now already, that would whet the Originals appetite.

Yet, there's still none specially for Carolyn Crawford, and Blinky Williams as above mentioned, or I'd also find Terry "Buzzy" Johnson pretty neat that at least I'd buy one if they did one. Or how about the complete Lollipops? Another Barbara McNair, since the last one has now been ludicrously out-of-print? Sammy Davis Jr on Motown, now I'm sure that'd sell a few extra dollars!
    Last edited by Ngroove; 01-08-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Yes indeed Ngroove
    I'd love to see albums for those lesser-known names... Carolyn Crawford, Terry Johnson, Blinky, maybe even Yvonne Fair, J.J. Barnes or Shorty Long!!

But then again I do absolutely adore The Originals... Heck, I really don't mind - I JUST LOVE IT ALL!!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I think a second Spinners' CD would be popular.
    I totally agree, however, to the best of my knowledge all releases by the Spinners have been released. There are 2 that appeared only on digital releases and 6 which are fairly scarce from the VIP 405 album.

I think we have reached the end of the road on the Spinners. Anyone disagree?

Gee, I'm afraid I don't have a link for "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose", honest man. I've searched YouTube for it several times over the years, and, in fact, I checked again just now. Still nothing. I KNOW the record exists because I used to own the single and I LOVED it. And, of course, it's listed in Motown's "Heat Wave" discography book. Back at the time, I had personally felt that, with the exception of The Original's "Touch" single [[from their "Communique" album), and "Keep Me" [[from "Definitions"), some of their later singles weren't quite up to Motown's usual high standards. "There's A Chance.....", however, returned them to the highest echelons of Motown's finest. Unfortunately, it somehow slipped through the cracks and tanked. When you finally [[and hopefully) get a chance to hear it for yourself, you'll know exactly what Bluebrock and I are raving about. The melody, the arrangement, the production values, and The Originals' performance are truly "magnificent"!
    Wow, I would so love to hear that song, it sounds brilliant
    The Originals' rendition of "Keep Me" is also my favourite version of the song!!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Your screen name should have been "childishman" instead of "honestman". Very fitting.
    @HonestMan, I agree with Carlo. But aside from that, I thought Mary looked fantastic on that album cover!

I've heard that there are plans for a new "Motown Girls". That would be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes indeed Ngroove
    I'd love to see albums for those lesser-known names... Carolyn Crawford, Terry Johnson, Blinky, maybe even Yvonne Fair, J.J. Barnes or Shorty Long!!
    ...you must have missed this Ace release...

http://acerecords.co.uk/here-comes-s...stereo-masters

Oh yea! Forgot about that one. For some reason I was under the impression that album was just a compilation of Shorty Long's already-released material?

Wow, I would so love to hear that song, it sounds brilliant
    The Originals' rendition of "Keep Me" is also my favourite version of the song!!
    Tom, I love your enthusiasm! If there's any justice in this crazy world, we'll ALL get to hear The Originals' "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose"" -- some, like you, for the first time ever, and once again for those of us who were lucky enough to hear it way back when in 1973. Work your magic, ACE! We're countin' on you.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-09-2017 at 02:17 PM.

yes ACE ONLY RELEASE THE CREAM OF THE CROP. maybe someone else will release Mary's cream of the crap album just sayin,cheers.
    Well you are an "honest man"!!!

The music was awful but i thought Mary looked smokin hot on the cover!!

Thanks, Bluebrock. I've mentioned "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" on the Motown Forum a couple of times in the past, but nobody replied. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had ever heard it, or, worse, the fans just didn't care. I'm glad to hear that you recognize that record's magnificence. You couldn't have said it any better!
    Oh yes , it was one of their finest moments not to mention the most underrated.

Tom, I love your enthusiasm! If there's any justice in this crazy world, we'll ALL get to hear The Originals' "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose"" -- some, like you, for the first time ever, and once again for those of us who were lucky enough to hear it way back when in 1973. Work your magic, ACE! We're countin' on you.
    Hehe, well... I am always enthusiastic when it comes to Motown! And The Originals of course!!! I love the group so much 'cause they can all sing lead [[I genuinely can't choose a favourite!) like The Tempts. Actually, Gary, do you know who sings lead on "There's A Chance"...? I know there's no planned release or anything but I already can't wait to hear it... C'MON ACE! WOOHOO!

I thought I read somewhere that Ace are hoping to do something on the Supremes [[possibly a couple unreleased cuts) in a small way?

Right on brother¬!! A real lost gem

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that Ace are hoping to do something on the Supremes [[possibly a couple unreleased cuts) in a small way?
    A 70's lost and found would be great, but i think the Supremes cuts you mention may be early 60's with Flo and maybe Mary on lead vocals.

I'd love for ACE to backtrack and give a physical treatment to releases that have at this point been digital only, such as "Funny Girl" by DRATS.

As far as the Mary Wilson release, it makes sense. It's something that Mary's fans have wanted for decades, and I would wager would be a good seller, if they included unreleased tracks.

As far as my opinion on the album itself, it was totally the wrong direction at the wrong time; only released to satisfy lawsuits.

'The Hitsville Songwriter Series' kicking off with the work Ivy Jo Hunter!

Cheers

Paul

Hehe, well... I am always enthusiastic when it comes to Motown! And The Originals of course!!! I love the group so much 'cause they can all sing lead [[I genuinely can't choose a favourite!) like The Tempts. Actually, Gary, do you know who sings lead on "There's A Chance"...? I know there's no planned release or anything but I already can't wait to hear it... C'MON ACE! WOOHOO!
    No, Tom, I don't remember who sang lead on it. I collected all of The Originals Motown albums, and I've always been aware that a couple of the group members traded off lead vocals, but I never got a chance to really identify the individual members vocally like I did with the 1960's Motown groups. But don't say "there's no planned release". Bluebrock allowed that "rumours abound of an Originals compilation", which is what got the ball rolling about "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". Like so many others, I've been holding my breath waiting for their "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Games People Play", and "Communique" albums to finally get a legitimate CD release. I admitted, however, that another Originals compilation CD would be great "IF" [[and only IF) it contains "There's a Chance....." which is a non-LP single screaming for a CD release. So keep your chin up! I'm feeling confident about this one!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-10-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Yes indeed Ngroove

But then again I do absolutely adore The Originals... Heck, I really don't mind - I JUST LOVE IT ALL!!
    Tom, you mentioned you'd like to see an album by Yvonne Fair. Are you aware of her "The Bitch Is Black" Motown CD? Check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/Bitch-Black-F...yvonne+fair+cd

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    'The Hitsville Songwriter Series' kicking off with the work Ivy Jo Hunter!

Cheers

Paul
    Seconded! I made my own compilation up recently under the same theme - with Ivy Jo as the songwriter. It's only when you listen to his stuff collected you really appreciated what an amazing contribution he made to the Motown sound. Even if most of it was canned!

But don't say "there's no planned release". Bluebrock allowed that "rumours abound of an Originals compilation", which is what got the ball rolling about "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". Like so many others, I've been holding my breath waiting for their "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Games People Play", and "Communique" albums to finally get a legitimate CD release. I admitted, however, that another Originals compilation CD would be great "IF" [[and only IF) it contains "There's a Chance....." which is a non-LP single screaming for a CD release. So keep your chin up! I'm feeling confident about this one!
    Hehe, yes, "rumours abound" does sound good! You know, I wish all their albums were released on CD/digital, maybe even a "complete albums" compilation kinda-thing.

I collected all of The Originals Motown albums, and I've always been aware that a couple of the group members traded off lead vocals, but I never got a chance to really identify the individual members vocally like I did with the 1960's Motown groups.
    When I listen to a group I just have to know who is singing which bit, so I think I have managed to work out who-is-who when it comes to The Originals.

Tom, you mentioned you'd like to see an album by Yvonne Fair. Are you aware of her "The Bitch Is Black" Motown CD? Check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/Bitch-Black-F...yvonne+fair+cd
    Oh yes, I was aware of that one! Thanks Gary, it is a BRILLIANT album by Yvonne, one of the last LPs produced by the legendary Norman Whitfield at Motown I believe.

Yvonne was at Motown in 1970 and only had one single released before 1974 [["Stay A Little Longer")... so I wonder if there is enough unreleased material for an ACE album?

Oh yes, I was aware of that one! Thanks Gary, it is a BRILLIANT album by Yvonne, one of the last LPs produced by the legendary Norman Whitfield at Motown I believe.

Yvonne was at Motown in 1970 and only had one single released before 1974 [["Stay A Little Longer")... so I wonder if there is enough unreleased material for an ACE album?
    It seems like Yvonne stayed at Motown for quite a while, even getting a small part in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. One of the recent CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN cds included a duet she recorded with Chuck Jackson in the 60s. I would assume there was probably more. I can't imagine her being on contract for so long without having done a fair bit of recording.

No, Tom, I don't remember who sang lead on it. I collected all of The Originals Motown albums, and I've always been aware that a couple of the group members traded off lead vocals, but I never got a chance to really identify the individual members vocally like I did with the 1960's Motown groups. But don't say "there's no planned release". Bluebrock allowed that "rumours abound of an Originals compilation", which is what got the ball rolling about "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". Like so many others, I've been holding my breath waiting for their "Naturally Together", "Definitions", "Games People Play", and "Communique" albums to finally get a legitimate CD release. I admitted, however, that another Originals compilation CD would be great "IF" [[and only IF) it contains "There's a Chance....." which is a non-LP single screaming for a CD release. So keep your chin up! I'm feeling confident about this one!
    Absolutely behind an Originals set and I can only imagine how much material they have in the can [[but suspect it is quite a lot). In terms of their original albums, my preference would be individual releases ideally, and I think they could be prime targets for the Elemental treatment. At least if BBR get involved there's a chance of an expanded version. But I don't mind so long as we get those Originals albums one way or another [[physical release of course).

There are easily enough Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons un-released Motown tracks [[40+) for a double CD release. Yes I love most of their Motown work so would definitely welcome that. Might be one for Real Gone [[USA though)?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Absolutely behind an Originals set and I can only imagine how much material they have in the can [[but suspect it is quite a lot). In terms of their original albums, my preference would be individual releases ideally, and I think they could be prime targets for the Elemental treatment. At least if BBR get involved there's a chance of an expanded version. But I don't mind so long as we get those Originals albums one way or another [[physical release of course).
    I absolutely agree with The Originals' remaining albums being released on CD individually as opposed to one big box set. I've already purchased "Baby I'm For Real" [["Green Grow The Lilacs") and "Portrait Of The Originals" at least twice each on CD, as well as "California Sunset" and "Down To Love Town" [[once each). At this stage in my life, I cannot afford to keep buying the same rehashes over and over when their remaining albums are still waiting for a first-time, proper CD release.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-10-2017 at 04:51 PM.