[REMOVE ADS]

I Never Met A Girl - Ripples And Waves - Someone Solve the Mystery Once and For All

For years now, there's been back and forth about whether "Ripples and Waves," boy band from Indiana is actually the Jackson 5 Pre-Motown. I've heard folks say yes. I've heard others say no, there was a band in Indiana that sounded very similar to the J5, and they had the same kinda lineup. If the latter is the case, then they must have been excellent copycats, because the exchange between the younger lead and the falsetto and the third voice surely sounds like Michael and Jackie and Jermaine. Is there a definitive answer here? Can we confirm once and for all that "Ripples and Waves" is the Jackson Five?

Also, title is "I Never Had A Girl," sorry.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ms. T; 01-03-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    For years now, there's been back and forth about whether "Ripples and Waves," boy band from Indiana is actually the Jackson 5 Pre-Motown. I've heard folks say yes. I've heard others say no, there was a band in Indiana that sounded very similar to the J5, and they had the same kinda lineup. If the latter is the case, then they must have been excellent copycats, because the exchange between the younger lead and the falsetto and the third voice surely sounds like Michael and Jackie and Jermaine. Is there a definitive answer here? Can we confirm once and for all that "Ripples and Waves" is the Jackson Five?

Thanks!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  21.1 KB
    The only detailed bio on the group or Michael stated that The Jackson Five were first called "Ripples and Waves". The problem is, that we were always told that their first recording was the first demo recorded by Steeltown Records. Then, a couples years ago, a demo tape was found that was made by One-derful Records. And, then THAT was said to be their first recording.

The lead sing sounds to me nothing like ANY of The Jacksons.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-03-2017 at 06:42 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is from The Northwest Indiana Times archives:
    "Ronald Bills started as the 13-year-old lead singer of Ripples & Waves, which featured students from Gary's Beckman, Emerson, West Side and Mann schools. They recorded one album on the Gary-based Steeltown Records label, where a young Michael Jackson also got his start.

“Ronald was second only to Michael. That's how good he was,” said Steeltown owner Gordon Keith, 73, of Gary.

With songs like “Let Me Carry Your School Books” and “I Never Had a Girl,” the group gigged around Northwest Indiana starting in the late 1960s."

Gordon Keith started releasing records by Ripples and Waves when he lost The Jackson 5 to Motown. For whatever reason [[known or unknown to Brunswick Records) they added two cuts by Ripples and Waves to their CD of Pre-Motown recordings by The Jackson Five. There was some confusion because the two cuts, including "I Never Met A Girl" were sung by Ripples and Waves + Michael. But, the Michael was Michael Rogers, NOT Michael Jackson. But, perhaps Steeltown owner, Gordon Keith only told Brunswick he had 2 songs by Ripples and Waves + Michael he'd also lease them, when they were leasing all his Jackson 5 material, and he neglected to tell them that WASN'T Michael Jackson? Brunswick listed all the songs as being by The Pre-Motown Jackson 5.

But ALL leads were sung by Ronald Bills, the way I understand what I've read.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post

Thanks!
    Wow, I had never heard about this before. How fascinating! I looked it up and found this...

http://j5collector.blogspot.co.uk/20...chael.html?m=1

It sure sounds like Michael, Jackie, and Jermaine. There must have been something in the Gary, Indiana, water.