[REMOVE ADS]

1978 TV Commercial for Marvin Gaye s Here, My Dear LP

of ALL the albums to promote with a tv commercial, why THIS?....lol

What a find; never seen this before. While Here, My Dear isn't my favorite Marvin Gaye album, it's nice to see that Motown did put together a promo clip for it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Why Jimi remember that Ms. Anna Gordy Gaye would receive royalties?
    So though "When Did You Stop Loving Me" grew on me, radio programmers didn't react the way they did instantly on "What's Going On", "Let's Get it On", "I Want You" and even "Got to Give it Up". So maybe Motown felt they needed all the insurance possible. [[FYI: Daryl Hall did a solid cover of "When Did You Stop" on his solo "Soul Alone" Epic debut).
    I was one of the weird ones who heard brilliance automatically on "Here My Dear". It was gratifying to see critics like Rolling Stone re-evaluate their initial reaction. "Time to Get it Together", "You Can Leave but Its Going to Cost You", "Is That Enough?" to "Falling in Love"....a challenging but mini masterpiece.

Yep. I have intense reverence for this set as well as a thematic suite. Don't forget "Anger." Good find, marv2.

I totally forgot about Peaches record store. That's going back some years!

I did a gif set of this commercial a while back. I need to make a new one.

I wonder if HMD ended up being a catalog seller as much as it's talked about. Like I'm sure the sales are over a million copies here.

Funky space reincarnation is a killer.

Every song on the album is a killer, but yeah I understand. FSR was clearly a standout. He was also clearly going for the P-Funkateer crowd. Would've worked had Motown put more into promoting it but I understand why they may have difficulty due to the album's serious content since it delved dangerously into exposing its CEO's dysfunctional family life with his sister and the famous brother-in-law.

Y'all ever saw this?

^ Yep! Threw me off guard too lol

^I know, right? My mouth flew open! Pretty fierce, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Why Jimi remember that Ms. Anna Gordy Gaye would receive royalties?
    So though "When Did You Stop Loving Me" grew on me, radio programmers didn't react the way they did instantly on "What's Going On", "Let's Get it On", "I Want You" and even "Got to Give it Up". So maybe Motown felt they needed all the insurance possible. [[FYI: Daryl Hall did a solid cover of "When Did You Stop" on his solo "Soul Alone" Epic debut).
    I was one of the weird ones who heard brilliance automatically on "Here My Dear". It was gratifying to see critics like Rolling Stone re-evaluate their initial reaction. "Time to Get it Together", "You Can Leave but Its Going to Cost You", "Is That Enough?" to "Falling in Love"....a challenging but mini masterpiece.
    I absolutely love that track.