[REMOVE ADS]

In Loving Memory Outtakes on Motown Unreleased 1966

Listening to the gospel tunes included on Motown Unreleased 1966 which all appear to be outtakes/alternate versions of songs from the "In Loving Memory" project dedicated to Loucye Gordy Wakefield. I can understand why a few songs were reassigned [["Were You There" was cut on "The Supremes" but, as with "He","What A Friend We Have In Jesus" and "Everytime I Feel the Spirit"-only feature Diana Ross on lead and a non-descript Ray Connif-styled chorale on background vocals, and was executed much better by Martha Reeves when the album was released.

Instead of Stevie Wonder's upbeat reading, Marvin Gaye presents "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" in a more subdued, Sunday morning sermonic solo manner, backed with only piano and Hammond organ, underscoring the funereal spirit of the hymn. Marvin sings the [[excuse the expression) hell out of this song, and this shelved hymn bests the Mitch Miller-styled Wonder version that appeared on the album. He returns later with an oddly jazzed up "Steal Away" that sounds slightly unfinished and was vaulted in favor of the more traditional version by Voices of Tabernacle choir.

Diana [[minus Flo and Mary) returns to narrarate "What Do You Choose"- a somewhat boring spoken word offering that was rendering on the released project by Harven Fuqua and Voices of Tabernacle. No matter who was featured on it, the cut could have been shelved and replaced with "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".

Martha Reeves [[minus The Vandellas) turns in a soulful rendering of "Just A Closer Walk With Thee", which was shelved in favor of the slightly more churchy and slower album version by Gladys Knight and the missing-in-action Pips.

Rounding out the set is The Miracles [[really only Smokey) on "Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross" featuring a somewhat melodramatic to the point of being sappy spoken 2nd verse.

The real mystery is why none of Kim Weston's cuts appeared on the released version of "In Loving Memory". The cuts "Never Grow Old" and "How Great Thou Art" fit her powerful voice like comfortble leather gloves. My only guess is that perhaps Weston was in the process of leaving the company when "In Loving Memory" was released.

Equally mysterious is why so many songs were attributed to groups, when only the lead singers were featured, with the same pedestrian-sounding chorale backing.

The strongest cuts IMO belong to Kim Weston, Gladys Knight and Marvin Gaye.

The original recording of In Loving Memory is a tribute to Louyce as an expression of love from Motown stars in songs who paid tribute at her funeral on July 29, 1965. I don't know whether Kim sang at the funeral, or whether it would have made any difference anyway.

What puzzles me is why the album didn't get released until September 1968. Given that Kim left Motown in 1967, and there was some dispute with Motown about royalties, this might explain why her tracks weren't on the album.

I wish we had recording dates for the album. Especially THE FOUR TOPS- NOBODY KNOWS THE TROUBLE I'VE SEE.

I was pleased to have all of these new tracks. It's almost like having an expanded edition of IN LOVING MEMORY! Can any of you SDF fans design a mock album cover for IN LOVING MEMORY Volume 2" .... or "Expanded Edition" .... or BOTH [[smile)? That would be great to have!

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    I wish we had recording dates for the album. Especially THE FOUR TOPS- NOBODY KNOWS THE TROUBLE I'VE SEE.
    You can find the information on the site DON'T FORGET THE MOTOR CITY. An annotation regarding the Four Tops track that you referenced is there.

A couple of questions on Spiritual/Gospel Songs...

What was the reason that In Loving Memory, didn't come out until 1968 ? Didn't Loucye pass away in 1965 while the Supremes were starting their performance at the Copa ?

Since The Supremes were Motown's Top Act during this period, Did Berry Gordy ever consider the Supremes to record a complete Gospel / Spiritual Album ?

greg jones
    Long Beach, CA

Back in the 90's I mentioned to the very wonderful, warm & gracious Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards I'd spent years searching for In Loving Memory. Within minutes she had the equally wonderful Paul Barker bring me a vinyl copy. She told me how the family had been so moved by the artists' singing at New Bethel Baptist that the Company decided to re-record their contributions in studio "later". Maybe that accounts for the discrepancies between the various recordings. Several - though not all - of these recordings appeared on 2 CDs on Polygram "Back To Gospel" in 1995.