[REMOVE ADS]

The Mirettes cD.....finallly here!

Dusty Groove
    Mirettes — Whirlpool/In The Midnight Hour ... CD
    Uni/Playback, 1969. New Copy ... Temporarily Out Of Stock
    Add to
    Watch List Double dose of heavy soul by this under-recorded late 60s combo – originally known as The Ikettes before splitting with Ike Turner and becoming The Mirettes! They're a truly storming group, with a sound that's a lot heavier than a lot of the sweeter girl groups from earlier years. The girls have a mix of southern deep soul vocals with some other more northern-oriented harmonies – and they kind of feel like a cross between the Sweet Inspirations and the Lovelites, with a bit more funk thrown into the mix. Whirlpool was produced by Clarence Paul, Ernie Shelby, and Dick Cooper – who also wrote some songs for the group – and titles include "I Miss You Baby", "If Everybody'd Help Somebody", "Heart Full of Gladness", "Ain't You Tryin' To Cross Over", and "Sister Watch Yourself". The feel on In The Midnight Hour is also hard and southern – almost like the best Memphis work by the Emotions, or some of the more obscure female groups on Stax/Volt. There's also a few oddball tracks and covers on this one – and titles include "Take Me For A Little While", "Keep On Running", "In The Midnight Hour", "I'm A Whole New Thing", and "The Real Thing".

When did this come out? I can't find it either on Amazon or Amazon UK, and even the Dusty Grooves web site doesn't find it.

Kenneth,
    It sold out immediately as soon as it hit Dusty Groove. It was over the holidays and I missed it myself. It was listed as "Just Sold Out" when I saw it. If you go under their search, you'll find it. Get on their wait list notification. They'll email you as soon as it comes in. That's what I had to do. So, hopefully, it'll be back in stock soon. It's "2" of their CD's on one. Yea! No, it's not listed anywhere else, as yet. Dusty Groove usually gets things before anyone else I've noticed. I'm not taking any chances in waiting elsewhere. I've wanted this for years on CD! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Kenneth,
    It sold out immediately as soon as it hit Dusty Groove. It was over the holidays and I missed it myself. It was listed as "Just Sold Out" when I saw it. If you go under their search, you'll find it. Get on their wait list notification. They'll email you as soon as it comes in. That's what I had to do. So, hopefully, it'll be back in stock soon. It's "2" of their CD's on one. Yea! No, it's not listed anywhere else, as yet. Dusty Groove usually gets things before anyone else I've noticed. I'm not taking any chances in waiting elsewhere. I've wanted this for years on CD! Good luck!
    @Lakeside, thanks for the information. I remember the album cover for "Whirlpool" though I never heard either of the 2 albums.

Another girl group who I wasn't really aware of back then but did some nice material was The Royalettes. They were produced by the same guy who produced Little Anthony & the Imperials - Teddy Randazzo I think - and strangely enough, the lead singer of The Royalettes at times sounded just like Little Anthony!

It's fun to hear material by these groups who weren't that famous but still had a lot of talent. I'm anxious to hear this set.

Thanks again, Lakeside!

Kenneth,
    Yes, The Royalettes were great. "It's Gonna Take a Miracle" was a gem.
    Last edited by lakeside; 12-30-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Yes that's the one. Great remaster and I love a lot of their material.

Brings to mind another great group - who also have a great 2 CD set out - the early 3 Degrees from their Roulette days. Wow, there was a lot of talent around back then.

Wonderful news about the Mirettes!!!! "I'm a Whole New Thing" is hot and their version of Midnight Hour is the best I have ever heard.

NOW for the obvious question.............Which label out there is FINALLY going to get off their duff and get us EVERYTHING ever released by Hodges, James and Smith? Two packages should do it and I'll bet the demand would be as much as it seems to be for this release.

Can't seem to see this listed any where except Dusty Groove. I recall someone was trying to reissue the two albums a few years back, but they could not locate all the master tapes for the ITMH album. They really could have added the ladies track "Try, Try, Try" from "The Lost Man" soundtrack which was produced by Quincy Jones and also issued on UNI.
    Name:  the lost man.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  61.8 KB

Yes David, may 2017 be the year for reissue of HJS!
    Last edited by brother_love; 01-05-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I assume you were just agreeing with me, as opposed to the fact that you might have heard something???

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I assume you were just agreeing with me, as opposed to the fact that you might have heard something???
    Just agreeing...

Sadly, Dusty Groove is now listing "The Mirettes" as OUT OF STOCK, which has been my experience that no more will be coming in. I've checked every source that I can think of and it's not listed anywhere....including Japanese and UK sites. If anyone would know where this can be purchased, please share. Thanks

Update from Dusty Groove per email.
    Thanks for the email. We usually get an item back in stock within two weeks of the time that it sells out from our inventory. During this window of time the item is listed as 'temporarily out of stock'. If the item has taken longer than a month for us to get back into our inventory, then the item switches to being 'out of stock' and is either less likely for us to get back in stock [[out of print for example) or on back order from our distributor. We plan on getting more copies as soon as we can, but unfortunately don't have a firm idea of when that will be.

If you want to be notified when an item comes back in stock you can add it to your wishlist - this will set you up for an email as soon as it hits the website.

Please email us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
    Melissa
    Last edited by lakeside; 01-13-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Hi all

This is great news, no more scratchy vinyl for me. If you go to:

http://www.grooveattack.com/2017/01/...midnight-hour/

you will see that it is scheduled to be released on 10th February. It isn't out yet. The cheapest place I've found to order it so far is Amazon.de.

This now means that only 3/4 Mirettes songs are awaiting their CD debut - 'Help Wanted' [[and possibly 'Play Fair' - I'm not convinced that song actually exists) and the 'Ain't My Stuff Good Enough' single.

As for the songs from the 'Lost Man' soundtrack, there are actually three. 'Rap, Run It On Down' and 'Sweet Soul Sister' were released as a single, but the OST also contained 'Try, Try, Try'. You can get the whole soundtrack on CD here:

https://www.amazon.fr/Cinema-Quincy-...a+quincy+jones

It would seem that Venetta Fields may have already left The Mirettes at this point as two of the songs are credited to her and The Mirettes. As you probably all know Pat Powdrill briefly replaced her.

Can I end with my favourite soap-box item? Just for everyone's information, and I'm sure you all know, Flora Williams and Delores Johnson are different people. Flora is actually Carlena Williams.

Can't wait for 10th Feb....

Check out the Ikettes & Mirettes page on Facebook.

"The Mirettes.......Whirlpool" is back in stock at Dusty Groove as of 1/17 9PM for $11.99
    Last edited by lakeside; 01-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.

I've ordered mine - strange that it's in stock in the USA when the German label doesn't list the release as being available until 10th Feb....

And, it's cheaper to the UK from the USA than from Germany.

Can I ask, lazily [[I should open a new thread), if any of you guys have any info on Delores Johnson, beyond her obvious releases? She's my favourite Ikette, and I'd love to know what she got up to after her single with Les Walker.

Thanks,

Martin

Just had an email from Dusty Groove telling me the CD is out of stock. So maybe it really isn't going to be available until 10th February. How annoying is that? My hopes were raised, only to be dashed once more....

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/826...t_order=artist
    According to Dusty Groove [[just checked this morning) it was in stock and is listed for sale?
    I ordered mine last night. I see Dusty Groove has a phone number to call [[if you're in the US) to verify availability. Good luck.
    Last edited by lakeside; 01-18-2017 at 11:03 AM.

I looked again at Dusty Groove and see it just SOLD OUT, again.

I believe that the company issuing this CD is American. Maybe Groove Attack is its distributor in Germany. It all seems so underground, might it be a boot?

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    I believe that the company issuing this CD is American. Maybe Groove Attack is its distributor in Germany. It all seems so underground, might it be a boot?
    Got word from Dusty Groove they just shipped mine. Boot or not....damn glad to get my hands on it!

I did wonder how legal it is, but the label does seem to be issuing stuff that looks legal. It'll be a real disappointment if it is just touched up vinyl. If anyone has heard the 'I'm Blue' CD on Krypton of The Ikettes singles you'll know what I mean. I would love to hear 'proper' versions of these songs. You can find MP3s of the vinyl all over the internet.

I did email Ace Records in the UK about releasing these albums last year, but they were dismissive of the potential appeal. Very disappointing. I also suggested they release a compilation of solo singles from the 60's by Ikettes, but they didn't even respond to that idea.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an officially licensed release, although the low profile of it doesn't give me a lot of hope.

A little bit of research has identified that Playback are actually an Australian label:

http://playbackrecords.net/

The link is the Sue Barker release, which is also listed at Dusty Groove.

They look respectable:-)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamelWalk View Post
    A little bit of research has identified that Playback are actually an Australian label:

http://playbackrecords.net/

The link is the Sue Barker release, which is also listed at Dusty Groove.

They look respectable:-)
    Thanks Camel Walk!

Hi all,

Bad news. I emailed Playback Records in Australia go get some details. This is their response:

"Hi Martin,No, that's not us - that "Play Back Records" is a Bootleg label from Poland - all our titles have been licensed legitimately!
    Regards,
    Nathan
    Playback Records Pty Ltd [[ACN 166 007 343)
    PO Box 164 | Geelong VIC 3220 | Australia"

So clearly this is not an official release. It's hard coping with such a major disappointment so early in the year....

I received my copy of the Mirettes today. All I can say is....it was well worth the wait be it whatever source. The packaging is very nice, the pics are great and very nice liner notes.
    The sound quality is excellent. What a treasure.

I am a very bright green colour....

I am a very bright green colour....
    I guess I got lucky with this one. My notification from Dusty Groove came in while I was on the computer, so, saw it right away. I immediately put my order in. I think in a few hours it was sold out, again. Get your name on their notification list with this as I believe they're getting more in. Soon....you'll be no longer green! It is a treasure!

Lakeside, can I ask whether this is a digital transfer or cleaned up vinyl? Do you have any scans you can post?

I did have my name down, but because I live in the UK I think the notification came in the middle of the night and by the time I ordered it had already sold out. Perhaps they should just put in a larger order....

Martin,
    I wish I was sophisticated enough to distinguish if this is a cleaned up vinyl or digital transfer. To my ears, it sounds digital....but, I certainly could be wrong. The sound is excellent to my ears. I have a Bose and use headphones and it sounds pristine to me?
    You might try calling Dusty Groove and asking if you could place an order to the UK and give them your credit information, so, in their next shipment you're guaranteed a CD?
    Might be worth a try. Don't know what their policy is on that? I remember with the Scherrie Payne/Susaye Green 'Partners' CD, they sold out about a dozen times as well as the solo Scherrie Payne CD [[recent). I missed out on both of these the first 5 or 6 times, but finally did get copies. Good luck. You'll enjoy this one!

Here is the back of the CD as advertised on Amazon. You will see that it is from Poland, and the poor spelling on the back does not encourage me. I'm pretty certain that this is just going to be a nicely cleaned up bit of vinyl. Still, if it isn't scratched and doesn't click and pop then I suppose it will be better than what I do have!

I don't seem to have uploaded the file. You can view it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whirlpool-M...words=mirettes

Name:  Mirettes CD cover.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  70.4 KB

Looks like a bootleg CD for sure. I'll stick with my 29 track home made cleaned up CD-R which I call "The Mirettes Collection". It includes both of their albums and their Mirwood [[Mirettes & Belles) tracks, Mint and Zea sides, plus the tracks from the "The Lost Man" soundtrack. I made copies for all three of the ladies and they were delighted!
    Last edited by brother_love; 02-18-2017 at 06:53 PM.

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/826938?kiosk_c=1

The Mirettes back on stock at Dusty Groove. Good price.

Oops....just sold out, again. Less than 24 hrs. Hopefully, they'll restock. I'm assuming it'll show up on amazon, soon?

Oops....just sold out, again. Less than 24 hrs. Hopefully, they'll restock. I'm assuming it'll show up on amazon, soon?
    This is the third time it has sold out to bad the ladies don't see a single penny of the sales. I doubt that Amozon will be carrying it since it a boot. Even the good folks at UMG knew anything about it.

Boots are a reality. I would love to see the ladies getting royalties. But, it gets their music and name out there and keeps the music alive. I have so enjoyed my copy and the sound is wonderful....to my ears. I'm thankful it was finally made available.

Hey Lakeside, I took your word and order a copy. The sound is pretty good and the packaging is not bad. I wish there were some photos in the booklet, but then beggars can't be choosey. I noticed that the writer Sonny Marrow [[anyone have a contact) spelled two of the ladies names as Bobbie and Vanetta in the second to the last paragraph. Another note is that people keep writing that Alline Bullock became the groups manager after leaving ITT, but according to Robbie this was not the case. She did help them out here and there but never as their manager. I still wish they had added the Lost Man tracks since there was plenty of room to do so.

UNI UK cover for "In The Midnight Hour"
    Name:  Midnight UK Cover 2.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  86.6 KB

Hi brother love, Glad you took the plunge. I have really been enjoying my copy and feel fortunate I could get my hands on it....finally. I never thought I'd see this on CD. Now, to see
    Hodges, James and Smith on CD would be wonderful as well as the Sweet Inspirations LP
    'Hot Butterfly'. Time will tell. Enjoy your CD.
    Oh, and thanks for the pic of "The Midnight Hour'.....never saw that before.

hi brother love, glad you took the plunge. I have really been enjoying my copy and feel fortunate i could get my hands on it....finally. I never thought i'd see this on cd. Now, to see
    hodges, james and smith on cd would be wonderful as well as the sweet inspirations lp
    'hot butterfly'. Time will tell. Enjoy your cd.
    Oh, and thanks for the pic of "the midnight hour'.....never saw that before.
    yes, yes on hjs!!!

MCA - UK 1968 [[different from US cover)

Name:  Mirettes - Midnight UK LP 2.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  89.1 KB

Hi all,

This is clearly not official, but the sound quality is pretty amazing given that fact.

One question for you all. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of 'Play Fair' as the b-side to 'Help Wanted'. My belief is that 'Play Fair' doesn't exist. I've only ever seen the single with Huggy's Ork on the other side, and I've not come across anyone who has seen a copy with 'Play Fair' on it.

Hi all,

This is clearly not official, but the sound quality is pretty amazing given that fact.

One question for you all. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of 'Play Fair' as the b-side to 'Help Wanted'. My belief is that 'Play Fair' doesn't exist. I've only ever seen the single with Huggy's Ork on the other side, and I've not come across anyone who has seen a copy with 'Play Fair' on it.
    I've only seen it as the A-side with 'John's Big Chance' by Huggy's Ork as the B-side. To bad that this track was not included on the "The Minit Records Story" CD set some years back back.

Name:  Minit 45.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  27.8 KB

Whirpool is also being reissued on LP this month.

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/834...t_order=artist

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/834773

"Whirlpool" on vinyl is now available.