[REMOVE ADS]

James Brown died 10 years ago today. what happened next?

The unedifying story, which I didn't know, from the London Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mine-wish.html

"Brown, who charted nearly 100 times on the Billboard chart, confided to a close friend that there would be a 'big mess' when he died.

He was right.

So true. And so sad.

I scrolled through the article.....the included pics and vids were a nice touch.

Kill Em and Leave was one the few books I read last year....the article is almost a summation of certain chapters in the book.....especially the Money Grab.

I enjoyed learning about James Brown's Real family roots, how he created Al Sharpton, how his past shaped his personality, his sidemen, those who helped him with his financial crisis and the chapter about Michael Jackson visiting his coffin.

If you're looking for a book about his shows and music.....look elsewhere.

Sad really Sad.

And some of the commenters to the article prove that America does not have a lock on Ignorance.

I once thought he could not sing but just shout. Then I heard him sing a ballad. The cat could sing.

I was wrong.

edafan

Edafan, I agree 100%. When I heard Brown do Bewildered on the great so called live "Sex Machine" album from 1970, that's when it hit me. James was hitting the notes, handling the phrases all while rapping. He impressed me with his singing and had me paying more attention to his singing after that. By the way that is James's best version of "Sex Machine" by a long shot.

Another artist who that happened with to me was Martha Reeves on the song "Take A Look In The Mirror" from the Black Magic album. She totally sparkled on that song and afterwards i payed more attention to her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Edafan, I agree 100%. When I heard Brown do Bewildered on the great so called live "Sex Machine" album from 1970, that's when it hit me. James was hitting the notes, handling the phrases all while rapping. He impressed me with his singing and had me paying more attention to his singing after that. By the way that is James's best version of "Sex Machine" by a long shot.

Another artist who that happened with to me was Martha Reeves on the song "Take A Look In The Mirror" from the Black Magic album. She totally sparkled on that song and afterwards i payed more attention to her voice.
    "Prisoner of Love" and "It's A Man's World" which came earlier proved that the Godfather could sing.....to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Prisoner of Love" and "It's A Man's World" which came earlier proved that the Godfather could sing.....to me.
    Here's a little funny.

In college I played trombone in a few union bands. One job was in a bar. The people kept wanting to hear "I Feel Good". I must have doubled the bass part for a good hour.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    Here's a little funny.

In college I played trombone in a few union bands. One job was in a bar. The people kept wanting to hear "I Feel Good". I must have doubled the bass part for a good hour.

edafan
    That must have been great Edafan.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That must have been great Edafan.
    yes it was.

I actually had a little reunion this year with 2 fellows from my h s band, who became band directors.

and I learned later in life that my trombone teacher was one of John Phillips Sousa's soloists.

Lots of good laughs and good times

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    I scrolled through the article.....the included pics and vids were a nice touch.

Kill Em and Leave was one the few books I read last year....the article is almost a summation of certain chapters in the book.....especially the Money Grab.

I enjoyed learning about James Brown's Real family roots, how he created Al Sharpton, how his past shaped his personality, his sidemen, those who helped him with his financial crisis and the chapter about Michael Jackson visiting his coffin.

If you're looking for a book about his shows and music.....look elsewhere.

Sad really Sad.

And some of the commenters to the article prove that America does not have a lock on Ignorance.
    oh Lord yes....small town England is full of horrible places and people on a par with Deathrow, Louisiana or Klansville, Mississippi - those are sort of zones where the Brexit referendum was won....