[REMOVE ADS]

THE FOUR TOPS HOT NIGHTS album and 2000 NORMAN WHITFIELD project

Will these ever see the light of day. Especially while Duke is still here.

I hope so!

What's the 2000 Norman Whitfield project? Sounds brilliant [[after all, Norman Whitfield is involved)

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    I wished they would. It's been so long since the "Hot Nights" album was announced, I've forgotten the details surrounding it. I do recall the single, "Hot Night" getting airplay in Philadelphia late summer/early fall of 1986. Next up was 1988's "Indestructible".

TomatoTom123- It was Levi's last studio recordings before his stroke. The songs were posted on website back in 2008 but were quickly taken down. It sounded great from what i remember.

TomatoTom123- It was Levi's last studio recordings before his stroke. The songs were posted on website back in 2008 but were quickly taken down. It sounded great from what i remember.
    That's sounds great then. I was thinking maybe it might have been around the time Norman was recording many of the same songs with different Artists.

Oh wow! That does sound great!! Levi Stubbs is an absolute legend in my opinion. He somehow mastered the art of sounding exactly the same for over 50 years! I also love "Hot Nights" and it would great to see that cancelled album released.

No idea where this came from, but the info I have on the album tracks is as folllows;

Side One

1 Hot Nights
    2 Red Hot Love
    3 I Believe in You and Me
    4 Let's Jam
    5 We Got Bus'ness

Side Two

1 This Is Love
    2 So up for You
    3 Livin' It Up Too Much
    4 The Four Of Us

Always wondered if I BELIEVE IN YOU AND ME is just the same version from their Cavablanca One More Mountain album.

biggestfourtops fan, here you go. Enjoy.
    Levi takes it to church:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjVR5ArQKg

Question:
    How do you pm someone?
    I use to come here a lot but I've been slacking off.
    We had a thread about the Tops and Norm Whitfield getting together for that album yeeeaaars ago. Lots of interesting info. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is. The thread from [[GULP) 2004 :

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/1...tml?1082098768

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    No idea where this came from, but the info I have on the album tracks is as folllows;

Side One

1 Hot Nights
    2 Red Hot Love
    3 I Believe in You and Me
    4 Let's Jam
    5 We Got Bus'ness

Side Two

1 This Is Love
    2 So up for You
    3 Livin' It Up Too Much
    4 The Four Of Us
    Booty,

That tracklist for the unreleased "Hot Nights" album is the same as the tracklist I have with the addition of "Indestructible" as the opening track on side 2 which was one of three tracks Motown let the Tops take with them to Arista.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by aljaydu View Post
    We had a thread about the Tops and Norm Whitfield getting together for that album yeeeaaars ago. Lots of interesting info.
    Wow, thank you aljaydu. Fascinating! That album sounds SOOO great. Also, that thread was from was ages ago and it still hasn't been released... OH WHY!!??

TomatoTom123, check your pm....

Marv2, check your email.

Quote Originally Posted by aljaydu View Post
    Marv2, check your email.
    Will do thank you.

aljaydu....you are a BOSS!!!! LOL!

Hey, maaaaaan....
    what can I say???

LOL

What a shame that two Four Tops albums are STILL just sitting in the can. Can't these get released online?

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    What a shame that two Four Tops albums are STILL just sitting in the can. Can't these get released online?
    There are also a few Deke Richards productions left on the Four Tops that he played me - one of them being Soldier Of Love used on Cellarful .

That sounds great. Remember any titles or how many?

There were at least half a dozen and Deke mentioned a title for the LP but that seems to have escaped my memory - I get it mixed up with Hot Nights album

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There were at least half a dozen and Deke mentioned a title for the LP but that seems to have escaped my memory - I get it mixed up with Hot Nights album
    Paul,

Do you know if one of the Deke Richards' produced tracks was the Four Tops' own update of the HDH classic tune "Since You've Been Gone" from 1984 but was then canned?

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Paul,

Do you know if one of the Deke Richards' produced tracks was the Four Tops' own update of the HDH classic tune "Since You've Been Gone" from 1984 but was then canned?

Ivor
    Hi Ivor that was not one of those he shared with me the title of the LP has just come back to me it was Continental Love

I wished a Four Tops album would be given the expanded treatment.

That's a dream of mine.

I find it so sad that these tracks remain unissued, even to the last studio session Levi sounded as strong as ever vocal wise, no other male has had that voice for me.

Someone connected with the Whitfield side contacted me a few years back and asked if I would sound out UK interest in the Norman Whitfield produced album, working title then was "911 Emergency" and sent me the tracks, there was interest, but I knew well then that they would never get released as one person may hold that back.

One track with Levi still at his very best I still play today so much "Just Another Day I Think of You" so strong and does not sound dated still, there were a few tracks I was unsure about, typical Norman, but not the Four Tops.

One day we may see all these unreleased tracks released, but we are all getting no younger lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    I find it so sad that these tracks remain unissued, even to the last studio session Levi sounded as strong as ever vocal wise, no other male has had that voice for me.

Someone connected with the Whitfield side contacted me a few years back and asked if I would sound out UK interest in the Norman Whitfield produced album, working title then was "911 Emergency" and sent me the tracks, there was interest, but I knew well then that they would never get released as one person may hold that back.

One track with Levi still at his very best I still play today so much "Just Another Day I Think of You" so strong and does not sound dated still, there were a few tracks I was unsure about, typical Norman, but not the Four Tops.

One day we may see all these unreleased tracks released, but we are all getting no younger lol
    Jaybs, so glad you posted this 'cause for a minute, thought I was in the final stages of dementia since "911" was the last time Levi was in the studio. As I'm sure you know, it was suppose to be his way of introducing Theo to the masses so I can understand why you might be hesitant about a few of them.

Just Another Day
    is a great track but I love them all.

Have pretty much given up on ever seeing these tracks released though.

Yeah I wanna see more from the Tops. I've heard about a book and a movie but nothing has come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    Yeah I wanna see more from the Tops. I've heard about a book and a movie but nothing has come out.
    Every time I hear something about a book or something getting my hopes up, it all disappaers. Nothing ends up happennin.

Hi Ivor that was not one of those he shared with me the title of the LP has just come back to me it was Continental Love
    Sorry Paul, missed your post when first posted. Never heard of that album before so many thanks for that piece of info. Presumably, if the album had came out it would have fallen between "Back Where I Belong" and "Magic".

Ivor

Sorry Paul, missed your post when first posted. Never heard of that album before so many thanks for that piece of info. Presumably, if the album had came out it would have fallen between "Back Where I Belong" and "Magic".

Ivor
    Yes because it was like a two and a half year lull in there.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes because it was like a two and a half year lull in there.
    Indeed marv2 because we know the one track from the Deke Richards sessions that has been released, "Soldier Of Love", was recorded in 1984 and I know their update of "Since You've Been Gone" was recorded around the same time as the guys mentioned it in an interview they gave to "Blues & Soul" magazine around that time and that was the tune they were particularly excited about from their, then, recent sessions so I suspect they cut a number of tracks with various producers.

Ivor

Indeed marv2 because we know the one track from the Deke Richards sessions that has been released, "Soldier Of Love", was recorded in 1984 and I know their update of "Since You've Been Gone" was recorded around the same time as the guys mentioned it in an interview they gave to "Blues & Soul" magazine around that time and that was the tune they were particularly excited about from their, then, recent sessions so I suspect they cut a number of tracks with various producers.

Ivor
    We need to hear these tracks! We need to have them released. There are still a lot of us Four Tops fans out here.

There should have been a FOUR TOPS BIOGRAPHY it would have been ideal from Sharon Davis, early 2000's there was talk of a book on Levi. but like the 999 album, just faded away.

Booty,

That tracklist for the unreleased "Hot Nights" album is the same as the tracklist I have with the addition of "Indestructible" as the opening track on side 2 which was one of three tracks Motown let the Tops take with them to Arista.

Ivor

Ivor is right. There were 10 songs on the Hot Nights LP. Indestructible is your missing song.

Always wondered if I BELIEVE IN YOU AND ME is just the same version from their Cavablanca One More Mountain album.

No, its different. The arrangement is different, and Levi extends the end, as I'm sure you heard on my video that aljaydu posted for you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    We need to hear these tracks! We need to have them released. There are still a lot of us Four Tops fans out here.

Marv, if you're still out there, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtopsjim View Post
    Marv, if you're still out there, PM me.
    I'm on my way Fourtopsjim. Thanks.

Does anyone have the Hot Nights project?

Does anyone have the Hot Nights project?
    Sorry no! never heard any unreleased material from 'Hot Nights' a.A member of The Norman Whitfield family asked me if I would approach some distributors for the '911' album in Uk, there was interest, but then they went cool, I still like the album, one real classic ballad from Levi. I'm not sure if the Tops themselves after Levi's passing were very helpful, same with books about them?
    Last edited by jaybs; 05-31-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Sorry no! a member of The Norman Whitfield family asked me if I would approach some distributors for the 911 album, there was interest, but then they went cool, I still like the album, one real classic ballad from Levi. I'm not sure if the Tops themselves after Levi's passing were very helpful, same with books about them?
    Well this album NEEDS released. Absolutely criminal it's been locked up so much. Great songs on both.

Nope. Also we are never getting Duke's book either that he promised for the last 10 years.

Well then it's time for fans to overthrow and start bootlegging because this is outrageous.