[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight and son settle suit

From St Louis American

Gladys Knight and her son, Shanga Hankerson, have reached a settlement in their family drama that played out in court over the “Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles” chain of eateries.

He agreed to remove her name and likeness from all locations by January, and the deal will bring an end to the legal battle.

Back in June, the Department of Revenue accused Hankerson of theft and tax evasion.

Federal agents raided three Gladys Knight Chicken and Waffles locations in Georgia and shut down their operations

The officials alleged Hankerson stole more than $650,000 in sales taxes and withholding taxes owed to the state. The total with penalties and interest exceeds $1 million. Knight had no role in the business and only allowed her son to use her name. After the raid, Knight sued her son and his companies to remove her name and likeness from the chain. One December 7, a final judgment and permanent injunction was entered in the case stating the singer and her son have reached a settlement.

Knight’s son has agreed to enter into a permanent injunction prohibiting him from using his mother’s name on his restaurants or engaging in conduct that will likely cause confusion or deception to the public about the singer’s involvement in the restaurants.

http://www.stlamerican.com/entertain...a2e8a693d.html

Was Gladys initially involved in the restaurants?. I thought I remember her promoting them awhile ago

She lent her name and good will to him when he started the business. She even promoted it in interviews. But, she had no financial interest. When he messed up, people thought that she was involved with the place. She wasn't . She was just being a good mom and let him cash in on her good name.

When he messed up, she wanted to keep her good name and wanted him to remove her name from his business. He refused and said that she was going senile. A big family mess. Nice that it is being resolved.

Gladys has had a long career and does not deserve to have her name besmirched - especially by her own son

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Was Gladys initially involved in the restaurants?. I thought I remember her promoting them awhile ago
    No. She just agreed to have her name and likeness on there.

I believe it was Gladys and Ron Winans who originally lent their names.