[REMOVE ADS]

Three Ounces of Love

A group I thought never got just recognition. Does anyone know if they perform anymore. Only one LP for Motown and then Ian Levine recorded them later.

They also released singles for IX Chain and Ecology labels before Motown and as Lipstick for the Music Merchant label after Motown.

I had heard of them but never actually listened to any of their songs. Having done so now [[thanks for bringing them up lakeside) I like them very much! Had no idea they also recorded as Lipstick though, thanks johnny raven!

Yes indeed lakeside, they only ever had one album on Motown, Three Ounces Of Love, in 1978 [["Star Love", "I Only Get This Feeling", "Don't Worry 'Bout My Love", "Bet You'll Come Running", "I've Got A Right To Be Loved", "In The Middle Of The Feeling", "Give Me Some Feeling", "Today Will Soon Be Yesterday")

Their two [[US) Motown singles were:

"Star Love" b/w "I Found This Feeling" [[M 1439F, 1978)

"Give Me Some Feeling" b/w "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight" [[M 1446F, 1978)

Also, their two singles as Lipstick in 1984/85 [["Rain Song" and "It's A Tight Fit") were written and produced by Eddie and Brian Holland, and are very nice '80s funk cuts.

They recorded [[at least) six songs for Ian Levine: "Where Did Our Love Go?", "Evil One", "Honey From A Bee", "Electricity", "Newsy Neighbours" [[released as MOTC 37 in 1991) and "Losing Track Of Time" [[they're good too)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-13-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Here is probably their best known recording. It received regional play in Detroit and Canada:

This was their first Motown single...."Star Love". It is clear that they definitely could sing:

I really liked they're music,i didn't understand,they had no picture on they're album,Motown never promoted them.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 12-14-2016 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I really liked they're music,i didn't understand,they had no picture on they're album,Motown never promoted them.
    The UK release of the album carried a re-designed front cover which featured a picture of the group which can be seen here:-

https://www.discogs.com/Three-Ounces...elease/1996703

A superior cover in my opinion.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post

Yes indeed redhot. A great shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    The UK release of the album carried a re-designed front cover which featured a picture of the group which can be seen here:-

https://www.discogs.com/Three-Ounces...elease/1996703

A superior cover in my opinion.

Ivor

Yes I agree, here it is
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  12.6 KB

Some more pictures:
Views: 590
Size:  11.8 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 574
Size:  7.9 KB

Views: 585
Size:  11.3 KB

The flip-side of Lipstick's "Rain Song" is titled "Cruise Control".

Ok, having listened to this group since this thread I have come to the conclusion that this is my favourite of theirs... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

'70s Motown at its finest!

[[And, just for the sake of it, here's video footage of the single being played!)

They and their lp were excellent but they were caught in a vacuum at Motown.

The Commodores wanted to branch out and produced some other acts for the label that they discovered and signed management deals with. Three Ounces was one of these acts.

Motown was promoting High inergy during this period and had no real interest in another girl group. They were also closing the coffin on Mary Wilson's Supremes. But the Commodores was their biggest selling act so they took these acts to appease them.

I guess Motown figured the Commodores would promote and the Commodores thought Motown was going to promote them. So disinterested was Motown in this act that the first pressings of the album had the A side on both sides of the vinyl and it had to be recalled, so they started out in a loss column already.

Thanks very much, Bayou! I knew of their relation with The Commodores but now it makes sense why The Three Ounces had a complete lack of commercial success! A great shame really. They were an absolutely fantastic group! Motown's very own Emotions. Even their version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" on Motorcity is excellent.

A fine group and they were sisters...from Detroit no less!
    They also recorded their last single to date, "Double Cross" a cover of the First Choice hit b/w "True Believer" which they co-wrote with producer Rick Gianatos in 1983. I really recommend it.

Does anyone have a recording of the Ecology single: "Look At Me I'm Loving You/Tumble Weed"? I'm missing that one.
    Last edited by markdtiller; 03-21-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Hi Mark, thanks for your info! Sadly I do not have a recording and have never heard that single. Would love too though!

Whoever owns this music really need to reissue the group's album and singles on CD!!!

Been listening to the group's Motorcity version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" and, I have to say, it really is [[surprisingly) excellent! The lead and backing vocals are fantastic, the rhythm track is not too computerised and the song sticks close the original arrangement! I love it...