[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free Blinky??

Free Blinky??

I have been reading through old threads about Blinky's unreleased Motown album Sunny And Warm being released by Reel Music back in 2011. Some threads say it was scheduled for release in early 2011, others discuss a potential collapse of Reel Music, and I cannot find any evidence of the album having been released besides this photo:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  16.7 KB

So now I am very confused! Has this been released? Was it cancelled? Is it still being scheduled for release? I am so confused!! Lol

Thanks for any help

[[I love Blinky by the way, she's a delightful singer. I also read that she was in hospital for a bit, hope she is well)
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-14-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Sadly it has never been released in any form. We were so close but then Reel Music folded! As far as I am aware the tracks have been re-mastered but no one seems interested in releasing them. The cover above is actually one of mine.

FREE BLINKY FROM THE VAULTS - NOW!

Ah, thank you so much copley. Great album cover by the way, very realistic. Sad to hear that it hasn't been released though.

Which leaves me to say only one thing...

FREE BLINKY NOW!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-13-2016 at 11:15 AM.

There have been some lovely cover designs made by members of this forum over a period of time. Some have almost been taken as "official" and it wouldn't surprise me if one or other was chosen to be used on a CD release. There has been some quality work going on by people who simply do it out of love for Motown.

Add me to the list of supporters who want to free Blinky

Does anyone know who owns these unreleased Blinky tracks?

Universal. They are not interested in releasing them

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Add me to the list of supporters who want to free Blinky
    I know wee Carlo, I know

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Universal. They are not interested in releasing them
    WHAT!!? Why, those little... grrr...
    Why not?

more interest in reissuing DRATS stuff that everybody has ...in bucket loads

I'm surprised Ace haven't shown an interest in releasing this. Maybe it's a bit late for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm surprised Ace haven't shown an interest in releasing this. Maybe it's a bit late for them.
    Ace are not interested either

Ace are not interested either
    But they'll release a collection on the Fantastic Four. Don't get me wrong. They're a great group, but fans have been begging for the Blinky album for a long time. I don't remember people begging for the Fantastic Four. Since Ace seems to be the only one doing reissues on the Motown catalog and focusing on the lesser known artists, this would seem like a natural given. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-14-2016 at 08:00 PM.

I was really pleased with the Ace releases on the Spinners, Rita Wright, Monitors, Patrice Holloway, Marv Johnson, Fantastic Four, Motown Girls, Motown Guys....

Long may they continue.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I was really pleased with the Ace releases on the Spinners, Rita Wright, Monitors, Patrice Holloway, Marv Johnson, Fantastic Four, Motown Girls, Motown Guys....

Long may they continue.
    So was I but why not BLINKY!

FREE BLINKY FROM FROM THE VAULTS - NOW!

Is it just a marketing decision, or are there contractual issues. Does seem strange and inconsistent, when Sisters Love have been granted a CD

Just a thought but I think the first Hipo CD was "just we two"...did UMG release that under pressure, perhaps got their fingers burnt, and the names Blinky is mud. Come to think of it...have UMG issued any further Edwin Starr CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Just a thought but I think the first Hipo CD was "just we two"...did UMG release that under pressure, perhaps got their fingers burnt, and the names Blinky is mud. Come to think of it...have UMG issued any further Edwin Starr CDs?
    'Just We Two', didn't sell but it wasn't what BLINKY fans wanted. There are a few people who are in a position of power at a certain label who will block BLINKY at every turn. As I said before the tracks have been remastered so the hard part is done. A BLINKY release would have one big advantage over most of the others - she's alive! She's very approachable and would only be too delighted to get involved and promote a release.

Back to "why" I guess.

There are a few people who are in a position of power at a certain label who will block BLINKY at every turn.
    What!!? Why??

As I said before the tracks have been remastered so the hard part is done. A BLINKY release would have one big dvantage over most of the others - she's alive! She's very approachable and would only be too delighted to get involved and promote a release.
    Yes indeed copley, there really is no reason why Blinky shouldn't be freed!

FREEEE BLINKY NOW
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-15-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Snakepit.

I think you are reading too much into it. There's no deep rooted conspiracy against Edwin Starr or anybody else for that matter.

OK understood
    Just wonder why Blinky seems to be overlooked....do you have a theory xtown?

Xtown
    I think you know me of old...more than anything, I love the releases you noted above from the writers, producers, arrangers aspect...a company man.
    From my standpoint, a release on Blinky also 'frees' all those talented staffers at Motown.

From my standpoint, a release on Blinky also 'frees' all those talented staffers at Motown.
    Good point snakepit. I hadn't even thought of that.

All the more reason to FREE BLINKY!

Snakepit

I DO know you of old...but possibly more of young! lol

Snakepit

I DO know you of old...but possibly more of young! lol
    Ouch...I think.

Sadly it has never been released in any form. We were so close but then Reel Music folded! As far as I am aware the tracks have been re-mastered but no one seems interested in releasing them. The cover above is actually one of mine.

Hi Copley
    Replied to your PM but not sure it got through to you. But I take on board the points you made, all very sad
    Thanks
    snakepit

Ouch...I think.
    All with a good heart Snakepit!

Hi Copley
    Replied to your PM but not sure it got through to you. But I take on board the points you made, all very sad
    Thanks
    snakepit
    Got your replies thanks

All with a good heart Snakepit!
    Indeed xtown, all with a good heart.

'Just We Two', didn't sell but it wasn't what BLINKY fans wanted. There are a few people who are in a position of power at a certain label who will block BLINKY at every turn. As I said before the tracks have been remastered so the hard part is done. A BLINKY release would have one big advantage over most of the others - she's alive! She's very approachable and would only be too delighted to get involved and promote a release.
    That's an excellent point. By far the only two issues I had with the Fantastic Four rleases was 1. The over-produced and drawn out version of Fan the Flame 2. More importantly, none of members who were involved with the sessions, were around to witness it.

I had high hopes that the success of the Unreleased David album and the L&F series, would of led to Hip-o Select giving Blinky a similar treatment. There have been so many "Free Blinky" threads in the past 15 years to where UMG could of easily gotten the hint that there's a list of potential buyers, myself included.

Down through the many years since it was recorded this vaulted material has never been released whether it be held by Motown, Reel Music, or indeed more recently Universal.

Despite all the more recent cries of "Free Blinky" from her many fans, it would also seem that Ace have apparently shown no desire to put it out, so perhaps the reason lies not with these companies, but with the singer herself. After all these several decades maybe Blinky is simply unhappy with the quality of the material and is unwilling to consent to its release to the general public. That may explain why when much of the necessary remastering etc has already been undertaken it all remains unreleased.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    After all these several decades maybe Blinky is simply unhappy with the quality of the material and is unwilling to consent to its release to the general public..
    It's a theory, but I can't believe Blinky would have any rights to the music in terms of say so over releases. Let's be honest - that isn't how Motown operated. There wouldn't be a clause in any of their contracts that gave artists the right to say what gets released and what doesn't.
    Stevie and Marvin were rare cases in the 70's.

I would not be at all surprised to see an ACE release at some point. We've had a superb Rita Wright collection, so why not Blinky?

I can assure you all that Blinky is 100% behind being freed from the vaults. We have spoken many times. I have sent her all the tracks I have [[released & unreleased). So it ain't Blinky it's the record companies!

We're losing our legends fast. Id want her to see her should've been released material to see the light of day while she can enjoy them. As well as Ivy Jo Hunter.
    Last edited by biggestfourtops fan; 12-26-2016 at 04:42 AM.

I can assure you all that Blinky is 100% behind being freed from the vaults. We have spoken many times. I have sent her all the tracks I have [[released & unreleased). So it ain't Blinky it's the record companies!

Even Blinky wants to free Blinky!!! C'mon record companies, just FREE BLINKY!

BLINKY - "SUNNY AND WARM"

MOTOWN MS 712

SIDE ONE

1. I WOULDN'T CHANGE THE MAN HE IS
    2. RESCUE ME
    3. HOW YOU GONNA KEEP IT [[AFTER YOU GET IT)
    4. THIS MAN OF MINE
    5. IT'S GONNA BE ALWAYS
    6. HOW LONG HAS THAT EVENING TRAIN BEEN GONE

SIDE TWO

1. SHINE ON ME
    2. FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE
    3. I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
    4. IS THERE A PLACE [[IN HIS HEART FOR ME)
    5. THIS TIME LAST SUMMER
    6. YOUR LOVE WAS WORTH WAITING FOR[/SIZE]
    I just saw that "Shine On Me" is one of the tracks Blinky recorded for her unreleased album Sunny And Warm... does anyone know if this is the same track that The Supremes recorded for their New Ways But Love Stays album? I hope so! It's a brilliant tune

From http://dftmc.info ...

Shine On Me [[Frank Wilson) published Jobete
    alternate titles: 1 Running River 2 Hello Sunshine
    Blinky; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 15-May-69 ; produced by Frank Wilson
    [unreleased]; LP [[S): Motown MS712 Sunny And Warm
    The Supremes; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 26-Jun-70 ; produced by Frank Wilson ; arranged by Paul Riser
    15-Sep-70; LP [[S): Motown MS720 New Ways But Love Stays
    15-Oct-70; 45 [[M): Motown M 1172 B [cv]
    01-Dec-06; CD [[S): Hip-O Select B0005938-02 This Is The Story
    27-Jun-08; CD [[M): Hip-O Select B0011056-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 10 1970

Thanks Johnny! I should have checked the DFTMC website...! And Blinky recorded the original version of it too... interesting

Blinky's 'Shine On Me' is indeed excellent. I have it

Blinky's 'Shine On Me' is indeed excellent. I have it
    WHAT!? Wow... copley, that's brilliant... so could you, ummm, describe it to me...? Lol
    [[Does it stay close to The Supremes' version, does it have that prominent fuzzy guitar, you know... that sorta thing )
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-25-2017 at 10:19 PM.

It's quieter than the Supremes version, simpler. Has both male & female backing singers. Perhaps more of a gospel feel.

It's quieter than the Supremes version, simpler. Has both male & female backing singers. Perhaps more of a gospel feel.
    Thank you very much copley. I can't wait to hear it. [[Hopefully soon, i.e. FREE BLINKY!!!)

Seems very odd that having scheduled, then failed to release "Sunny and Warm", Motown later scheduled another Blinky album and not release that one either. That was " Softly" in 1973 scheduled as Motown 770.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Seems very odd that having scheduled, then failed to release "Sunny and Warm", Motown later scheduled another Blinky album and not release that one either. That was " Softly" in 1973 scheduled as Motown 770.
    Any idea of the track listing for "Softly".

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Any idea of the track listing for "Softly".
    Sorry fourtopsfan, I don't know the entire track listing but do know that Blinky's 1973 single "You Get A Tangle In Your Lifeline" b/w "This Man Of Mine" was scheduled to be included in the album [[both sides).

Name:  IMG_6025.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  86.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6026.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  88.3 KB

I hope a Blinky set sees the light of day soon. I want to hear this extra long version of "For Your Precious Love".

If they don't free her now, then when?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have been reading through old threads about Blinky's unreleased Motown album Sunny And Warm being released by Reel Music back in 2011. Some threads say it was scheduled for release in early 2011, others discuss a potential collapse of Reel Music, and I cannot find any evidence of the album having been released besides this photo:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  16.7 KB

So now I am very confused! Has this been released? Was it cancelled? Is it still being scheduled for release? I am so confused!! Lol

Thanks for any help

[[I love Blinky by the way, she's a delightful singer. I also read that she was in hospital for a bit, hope she is well)
    I didn't read through the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned it, but I do think this cover was created by an SDF member, the same fellow who used to do the calendars and the screen savers of the Marvelettes and Contours, I believe. I remember commenting at the time that it reminded me of the design for "In Full Bloom." I don't think we ever saw cover art for the official CD release of this Blinky project.

It's a cover that was created for me by a friend. As far as I am aware no artwork exists for any of Blinky's albums.