[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I could well be wrong [[usually am) but isn't there more interest in unissued rare Motown in the UK.....forums would indicate that.
    If so why are we at the back of the queue?

I wonder what kind of album Motown was getting ready for with the Supremes with "More", "Somewhere [[Alternate Version)" and "Michelle" since they have the same recording dates?

Keith Hughes, I know you guys aren't aloud to give out too much information but with the recent discovery of 5 more unreleased Supremes songs, is there possibly a couple others that have been found or is this absolutely it? And thank you again for another wonderful collection Really digging the Gladys and Spinners duet. A little different for Motown.

"I'm Losing You" by Gladys Knight and The Pips, is this the song that many of us "thought" the Supremes recorded in 1967? Really like the song. If this is the song too bad they didn't do a version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I just bought the 80 tracks from us7digital.com [[320kbps for $38.99US), but I'd noticed at Amazon.com that the set listed "81 tracks." I wasn't sure if there was a digital booklet being included with this--because there wasn't at 7digital. Just curious if anyone who's bought elsewhere has a booklet or not. [[I wasn't expecting one since Keith has uploaded the recording info at dftmc.info, but... who knows?)

Can't want to really "sink" into these 80 tracks! Thank you to all who were involved in making this happen!
    The "81 items" are the 80 tracks plus the entire set = 81. No booklet.

iTunes only lists 80 tracks. is the booklet only available via Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    iTunes only lists 80 tracks. is the booklet only available via Amazon?
    There is no booklet.

Come on UMe US, pull your finger out and get these tracks up on Amazon UK etc! I'm led to believe that this a US driven project so HW get a move on please.
    Last edited by copley; 12-30-2016 at 08:00 PM.

I wonder if the Gladys & Spinners track is a demo for another artist/s? I thinking maybe Marvin & Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I wonder if the Gladys & Spinners track is a demo for another artist/s? I thinking maybe Marvin & Kim.
    02_10_All These Things - Gladys Knight with The Spinners
    [[Harvey Fuqua-Gwen Gordy Fuqua)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol
    Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; Gladys Knight lead vocal overdubbed April 26, 1966

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I wonder what kind of album Motown was getting ready for with the Supremes with "More", "Somewhere [[Alternate Version)" and "Michelle" since they have the same recording dates?
    These tracks most likely were recorded in the same sessions for the "From Broadway To Hollywood" album.

For those who can't get this release yet from their choice of vendor, there are samples of the tracks here: -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...6/8d6kgwx5xtss

[[You can of course buy the set as well!)

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 12-30-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Michelle and More are listed as tracks prepared for IHAS but never receiving vocals. most of the sessions for this set were in Nov 65 which lp released in Feb 66. perhaps they either went ahead and did these tunes but they missed the lp.

Michelle wouldn't have been for Broadway to Hollywood as it's not one of those. it's a Beatles tune.

also in Randy's book he lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever as a song the sups did for Broadway - Hollywood. but we've never heard any vocals and here's a Four Tops version. their Broadway album was released in 67 so perhaps that's a track connected to the girls but really not

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    also in Randy's book he lists On A Clear Day You Can See Forever as a song the sups did for Broadway - Hollywood. but we've never heard any vocals and here's a Four Tops version. their Broadway album was released in 67 so perhaps that's a track connected to the girls but really not
    According to DFTMC, the Four Tops' version of "On A Clear Day" was the one HDH cut for the Supremes' "From Broadway to Hollywood" album. Barbara McNair also cut a version but I don't know if she used the same track as the Four Tops. Maybe it was her version that contained the track meant for the Supremes.

I'm in the UK and am now able to play the tracks on YouTube because I downloaded a free extension for Firefox called PROXTUBE. I also believe there is something similar for Chrome. Have a look and see - then enjoy the music.

[QUOTE=carole cucumber;363958]And the Mynah Birds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJTQXvgm8js

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXo3BmJW60

I just realized that I posted the same YouTube link twice, so here is the correction.

Been listening to the tracks... Some real gems and some duds.

Notable standouts:
    "Without Love You Lose A Good Feeling" & "Whenever You Need Me" by Brenda Holloway.
    What standout tracks! I instantly feel in love with these when I heard them. Single-worthy. I can't believe these were canned.

"Flower Girl [[Version 1)" by Smokey & the Miracles
    Totally different from the version from 1970. Not quite sure how to describe this version. Definitely not done in the roaring Motown style, but very colorful. A little bit of a country meets latin flavor.

"I Got You [[In My Soul)" and "I'll Wait Forever" by the Mynah Birds
    All of the Mynah Birds Motown recordings have been exceptional. It's a shame Motown shelved the album and the group because these songs have such a cool blend of the Motown Sound, folk, and rock.

"I Can't Take You Back" by Gladys Knight & the Pips
    Such a funky and rocking track. Love the fuzz guitar on this. Again, why did quality control reject this?

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by The Temptations
    So fun to hear different lyrics and different vocals. Read the track annotations on DFTMC. This was originally meant to Marvin Gaye?! Wow!

"That'll Be The Day" by Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston
    I absolutely love this track by the Temptations so it's awesome to hear it as a duet between Marvin and Kim with a few alternated lyrics. I always felt this song was A-side single worthy. Can't believe it got canned twice.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-30-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; Gladys Knight lead vocal overdubbed April 26, 1966
    Copley - Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    For those who can't get this release yet from their choice of vendor, there are samples of the tracks here: -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...6/8d6kgwx5xtss

[[You can of course buy the set as well!)

Cheers

Paul
    Thanks Paul!!!

Was the LP From Broadway to Hollywood planned for 1966 release.?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Was the LP From Broadway to Hollywood planned for 1966 release.?
    Recording sessions were done in 1966. Album was planned for release in 1967.

I am downloading from ITunes right now .listening to MORE. always liked this from talk of the town. wow sounds great. I don't see recording dates?? did I misunderstand .
    Somewhere is good as well.

I am downloading from ITunes right now .listening to MORE. always liked this from talk of the town. wow sounds great. I don't see recording dates?? did I misunderstand .
    Somewhere is good as well.
    At the foot of DFMC

http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-00.html

Having heard The Marvelettes "Sweet Talkin' Guy" I wish I hadn't bothered. I was looking forward to hearing it as well. As with the other "unreleased" sets, I probably won't bother downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Having heard The Marvelettes "Sweet Talkin' Guy" I wish I hadn't bothered. I was looking forward to hearing it as well. As with the other "unreleased" sets, I probably won't bother downloading.
    Yeah. Just listen to them on youtube for free. Especially considering the quality of some of these songs. Wish there less standards and mire original material especially from the tops.

Does anybody know if user like me [[from Germany) can download the album on the U.S. site of Microsoft.com? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...6/8d6kgwx5xtss
    Many thanks, Ingo

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  21.1 KB
    I listened to all four groupings of cuts. Only a few were really good quality. There was a good reason why the rest weren't released. There were also a couple cuts on which the recordings sound a fair amount older than 1966. I thing they could be from 1963 and 1964, and just made available with 1966, because they were just discovered recently, and Universal wants to keep ownership.

I don't think we can. I tried and it didn't work. We will have to wait until we get them I guess.

Wayne
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

Still not available in UK 😤

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 792
    I listened to all four groupings of cuts. Only a few were really good quality. There was a good reason why the rest weren't released. There were also a couple cuts on which the recordings sound a fair amount older than 1966. I thing they could be from 1963 and 1964, and just made available with 1966, because they were just discovered recently, and Universal wants to keep ownership.
    According to DFTMC all date from 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    That's a shame as the Brenda, Gladys, Marvin/Kim, Marvin, Kim, Isley tracks are all 1st class. BTW I love 'Sweet Talkin' Guy'

Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
    Does anybody know if user like me [[from Germany) can download the album on the U.S. site of Microsoft.com? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...6/8d6kgwx5xtss
    Many thanks, Ingo
    I tried from the UK but failed!

I have always liked Michelle as a song.nice to hear it .Not a fan of the gospel tracks I've heard.
    Were these tracks just uncovered. I thought the Supremes well was dry.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    According to DFTMC all date from 1966.
    Although: -

02_09_I’m Losing You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    [[Harvey Fuqua)
    Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; vocals overdubbed by Gladys Knight & the Pips April 25, 1966

02-18_You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr.)
    Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier
    Working title: Always In My Heart
    Track recorded December 19, 1963 and assigned to the Vandellas; re-assigned to Gladys Knight & the Pips and overdubs recorded April 21, 1966; lead vocal re-cut April 26; strings added May 13, 1966

Cheers

Paul

Although: -

02_09_I’m Losing You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    [[Harvey Fuqua)
    Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; vocals overdubbed by Gladys Knight & the Pips April 25, 1966

02-18_You’re Gone [[But Always In My Heart) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr.)
    Produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier
    Working title: Always In My Heart
    Track recorded December 19, 1963 and assigned to the Vandellas; re-assigned to Gladys Knight & the Pips and overdubs recorded April 21, 1966; lead vocal re-cut April 26; strings added May 13, 1966

Cheers

Paul
    But completion dates are all 1966 unless I'm reading it wrong.

No, you're not reading it wrong copley!

Completion dates were indeed 1966, but the the band tracks for these three songs were recorded earlier, as thought to be the case by RobbK.

[[The two Tri-Phi session tracks most likely date from around 1962/63).

So he is correct in assessment that they were recorded earlier than 1966, but the vocal overdubs and tracks were completed that year, hence the inclusion in this set.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 12-31-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Apologise for my ignorance..Is overdubbing.....Rerecording a vocal?

Apologise for my ignorance..Is overdubbing.....Rerecording a vocal?
    Essentially, it is david.

Of course the nomenclature can vary, but yes, recording or re-recording a vocal and/or other instruments to the contents already recorded on a multitrack tape.

In the case of Motown [[from about 1963 onward), the basic rhythm track would be recorded first, and then at a later date, the lead vocal would be recorded on a spare track of either the 3 or 8 track 'session' tape which contained the already recorded rhythm track. Then things like the strings and background vocals would be recorded or overdubbed to the remaining spare tracks, although not necessarily in this order.

[[The Hitsville session logs usually refer to this process as "dub ins").

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 12-31-2016 at 05:09 PM.

No, you're not reading it wrong copley!

Completion dates were indeed 1966, but the the band tracks for these three songs were recorded earlier, as thought to be the case by RobbK.

[[The two Tri-Phi session tracks most likely date from around 1962/63).

So he is correct in assessment that they were recorded earlier than 1966, but the vocal overdubs and tracks were completed that year, hence the inclusion in this set.

Cheers

Paul
Views: 690
    Thanks Paul! This proves that one should believe his ears!!! And also proves that 65 years of experience might be more trustworthy than even so-called "official" printed documents [[e.g. when the terms in those documents are not clearly defined). But, also, when younger people are compiling official data from what documents are "inherited" from the previous or even the original production company, information can get interpreted incorrectly, or transmitted with errors. So, experienced experts are a good back-up, in those situations.

Keith, thought with the release of Lost and Found , this collection cleaned up the vaults for the Supremes.
    can you discuss when these tracks were found. seems to me they would fit on the I Hear A Symphony set . just curious if they were recently discovered.

Keith, thought with the release of Lost and Found , this collection cleaned up the vaults for the Supremes.
    can you discuss when these tracks were found. seems to me they would fit on the I Hear A Symphony set . just curious if they were recently discovered.
    L&F was almost 10 years ago. Of course they are going to find new tracks. Motown was very good at keeping their recording information straight, but sometimes tracks fall through the cracks where a session entry or a tape box is improperly marked. When you're recording practically 24/7, you're bound to forget something. If there's one thing we learned is that Motown is full of surprises. Discoveries will be made as they mine the vaults further. Does this mean we'll see another L&F set worth of unreleased tracks? No, but don't be surprised if you see a track or two pop up here or there that was never thought to have existed as it seems to be the case of these "Broadway to Hollywood" tracks.

Thanks Brad.
    I assumed what you have confirmed for me. Nice to know we still may have a few gems left.

The Supremes' cuts were found by, ahem, me, listening to [[digital rundowns of) unmixed tapes, of which there are hundreds, possibly thousands, in the Vaults, while looking for good stuff for future Ace CDs. The 1966 Unreleased issue was a way of getting them out faster than Ace would be able to ... which is not to say we might not reprise them on CD at some later point. [[Or someone else might.)

I've found a number of unissued alt takes of Supremes tracks in my search, but most of them are so similar to the issued version that they aren't - in my opinion, and in view of the amount of "original" unissued material available by other artists - worth bothering about. I have found one alt version of a Supremes track featuring a different lead singer to the released version which I thought worth putting on one side for a future volume of "Motown Girls" ... if and when ... and unless Andy and George "scoop" me!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.

keith do you for see any possibility of a supremes 70s lost and found or do you think Go Go could be one of the last with the reluctance of universal

glad to know there are possibilities out there in the vaults. I'm sure its about the same for dianas solo work. hopefully there is a ross solo coming this year

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    The Supremes' cuts were found by, ahem, me, listening to [[digital rundowns of) unmixed tapes, of which there are hundreds, possibly thousands, in the Vaults, while looking for good stuff for future Ace CDs. The 1966 Unreleased issue was a way of getting them out faster than Ace would be able to ... which is not to say we might not reprise them on CD at some later point. [[Or someone else might.)

I've found a number of unissued alt takes of Supremes tracks in my search, but most of them are so similar to the issued version that they aren't - in my opinion, and in view of the amount of "original" unissued material available by other artists - worth bothering about. I have found one alt version of a Supremes track featuring a different lead singer to the released version which I thought worth putting on one side for a future volume of "Motown Girls" ... if and when ... and unless Andy and George "scoop" me!
    Well done Keith and you've set the expectations rolling with the prospect of an "even more Motown Girls release". Thanks so much for all the previous releases and it's great to know we've something else to look forward to.

With Motown you can never ever say never

Keith thanks, glad there are other options regarding the release of this music.

I forgot to check the US iTunes Store for Motown Unreleased 1966, and having just done so [[and having listened to some of the tracks), I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I think there is a way of purchasing songs and albums from the US Store even in the UK [[think it involves iTunes vouchers) but I'm not sure. I will try it eventually but in the meantime I don't mind listening to 30-50 second previews, hehe... Anyways, a MASSIVE THANK YOU to Keith and everybody else involved in the release!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.