[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    02_10_All These Things - Gladys Knight with The Spinners
    [[Harvey Fuqua-Gwen Gordy Fuqua)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol
    Original Tri-Phi Records session recorded for and by the Spinners, date[[s) and location unknown; Gladys Knight lead vocal overdubbed April 26, 1966
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  21.1 KB
    Didn't Tri-Phi/Harvey/HPC/Message record almost all their sessions in The Snake Pit?

So legend and memories have it, Robb, but in general Motown didn't log recordings when the studio was hired out to another company, and the Tri-Phi acts' recordings don't start appearing until mid-1963, which was presumably when Gordy acquired Tri-Phi. The Spinners' "All These Things" isn't logged, and the Tape Card just says the original source was a Tri-Phi tape.

I'm sure you know that the story goes that Ollie McLaughlin recorded "My Mama Told Me" on Barbara Lewis at the Snakepit, but that one isn't logged either.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    So legend and memories have it, Robb, but in general Motown didn't log recordings when the studio was hired out to another company, and the Tri-Phi acts' recordings don't start appearing until mid-1963, which was presumably when Gordy acquired Tri-Phi. The Spinners' "All These Things" isn't logged, and the Tape Card just says the original source was a Tri-Phi tape.

I'm sure you know that the story goes that Ollie McLaughlin recorded "My Mama Told Me" on Barbara Lewis at the Snakepit, but that one isn't logged either.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  21.1 KB
    So, then Gwen and Harvey were treated as any outsiders leasing the "Snakepit" for X number of hours, and paying for recording services, and, of course, these transactions weren't on the Motown company logs. But, the time leasing transaction with Tri-Phi Records should have been on Motown's Recording Studio's leasing log. But, the names of the artists and songs recorded probably would not be.

It's now on Amazon UK & iTunes UK

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    It's now on Amazon UK & iTunes UK
    YES!!!!!!! Thanks copley

I looked and did not see this posted yet. Forgive me if i missed it --

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/01/ai...and-many-more/

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    I looked and did not see this posted yet. Forgive me if i missed it --

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/01/ai...and-many-more/
    Thanks Zani57

I downloaded and listened to all the tracks in one session last night and I love most of the tracks, although I'm not keen on the standards as they don't have that Motown sound.

In my opinion, the Brenda Holloway and the Gladys Knight & the Pips tracks steal the show, and the writer/producers Weatherspoon/Dean, Fuqua/Bristol and Ivy Jo Hunter have the best work.

My favourite Isley Brothers Motown record is "Got To Have You Back", so a special mention for the less-harpsichord-dominated alternative version included here, which is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I downloaded and listened to all the tracks in one session last night and I love most of the tracks, although I'm not keen on the standards as they don't have that Motown sound.

In my opinion, the Brenda Holloway and the Gladys Knight & the Pips tracks steal the show, and the writer/producers Weatherspoon/Dean, Fuqua/Bristol and Ivy Jo Hunter have the best work.

My favourite Isley Brothers Motown record is "Got To Have You Back", so a special mention for the less-harpsichord-dominated alternative version included here, which is outstanding.
    I second this. You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart) is the best track on the entire thing, in my opinion. Absolutely insane that it was hidden away for 50 years.

"Don't Compare Me With Her" is also very good, but it doesn't quite send the same chills down my spine that Kim Weston's version did.

A number of these 1966 unreleased tracks are featured on my latest online radio show.
    Tune in anytime on:

Www.mixcloud.com/snakepit2648/

Some great tunes...

Motown Unreleased 1966 now available in Germany

https://www.amazon.de/Motown-Unrelea...own+unreleased