[REMOVE ADS]

Harry Balk passes

This is a tough one for me, gang. Many of you know through my books and posts on the forum just what this remarkable man meant to me. I last spoke with Harry a few days ago. He wasn't doing well and I knew the end was nearing. He had a rough couple of years and the last few months showed he was slipping. I will miss him. He was like a father to me. Rest in peace Harry. I will never forget you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ralph, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear and close friend, Harry Balk. I remember well how much he meant to you. Harry provided an important chapter in Motown's history with his formation of the Rare Earth label. May he rest in peace.

If I recall, Ralph, Harry was married to Motown artist PJ. [[Patti Jerome) whose "Tender Loving Care" was released on Tamla around 1972-ish. Wasn't Patti also Stoney of Stoney & Meatoaf on Rare Earth? I thought both were excellent Motown releases -- the latter impressively produced by you! My deepest condolescences to her as well.

Gary

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  21.1 KB
    Sorry to hear this. I didn't know him personally, but several friends of mine, including Ron Murphy knew him, and liked him a lot. I've only heard good things about him all these years. I loved most of the music he produced [[of course, he had a lot of good help, including Duke Browner). He was a smart business man, and did a lot to help make the Detroit music scene what it was.

Very sorry to hear this as well. Ralph, I know you and Harry go back a long way. I also know that this is never easy. Thank you Mr. Balk, God Bless and rest in peace!

Marv

A clip of an interview Fred Saxon did with Harry a couple of years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFAB1nzdBTQ

Stoney Murphy

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;360328]Ralph, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear and close friend, Harry Balk. I remember well how much he meant to you. Harry provided an important chapter in Motown's history with his formation of the Rare Earth label. May he rest in peace.

If I recall, Ralph, Harry was married to Motown artist PJ. [[Patti Jerome) whose "Tender Loving Care" was released on Tamla around 1972-ish. Wasn't Patti also Stoney of Stoney & Meatoaf on Rare Earth? I thought both were excellent Motown releases -- the latter impressively produced by you! My deepest condolescences to her as well.

Stoney was Stoney Murphy whose real name i s
    Sherry Murphy. Today she is better known as the excellent singer Shaun Murphy who has toured with the Moody Blues, Bob Seger, Herbie Hancock, Phil Collins, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Maria Muldaur, Bruce Hornsby, Michael Bolton, J.J. Cale, Coco Montoya, Alice Cooper, Chuck BrownLittle Feat,

Thanks for the info., dpeneny. I'm glad to hear that she's still going strong. I've always loved her voice on Stoney & Meatloaf's "It Takes All Kinds Of People" and "What You See Is What You Get." Pity she didn't record more while she was with Motown.

My Grandfather spoke well of you.
    Laura McCallister

My Grandmother passed away in September of 2000. She was an amazing woman

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks for the info., dpeneny. I'm glad to hear that she's still going strong. I've always loved her voice on Stoney & Meatloaf's "It Takes All Kinds Of People" and "What You See Is What You Get." Pity she didn't record more while she was with Motown.
    http://www.shaunmurphyband.com/