[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson at the Hollywood Palace??

Hello!

I'm curious. Mary has never ever had a chance to show her vocal prowess ever since the group exploded...not until midway through the Jean Terrell years.

But Mary had "Can't Take My Eyes Off OF You" ... and on TV. Diana even sang backup for her. Is this not completely strange that this happened? Was Diana passing the torch??

Also, did Mary also have a solo in live shows like Florence did with People? And did Cindy ever have a solo?

Thanks for any info!!!!

During the 60s, Mary had some solos in concert. During the first Copa engagement, she sang a solo part in ENJOY YOURSELF. Later, she took over Diana's part in PEOPLE. She went on to solo in CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU and FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE.

I don't think Cindy had any solos during the 60s concerts. Maybe a few lines in FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE. I think she gained a few during the 70s. I recall her singing some lines in ALL I WANT and LOVE TRAIN. But I don't think she had an entire song to herself.
    Last edited by reese; 12-03-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Both of Mary's solos are included on their final LIVE album released in 1970 originally titled Farewell later changed to Captured Live On Stage when reissued on vinyl and released on CD.

You can sample the album and also hear some of the dialogue between Diana and Mary:

https://www.amazon.com/Captured-Live...+live+on+stage

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    During the 60s, Mary had some solos in concert. During the first Copa engagement, she sang a solo part in ENJOY YOURSELF. Later, she took over Diana's part in PEOPLE. She went on to solo in CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU and FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE.

I don't think Cindy had any solos during the 60s concerts. Maybe a few lines in FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE. I think she gained a few during the 70s. I recall her singing some lines in ALL I WANT and LOVE TRAIN. But I don't think she had an entire song to herself.
    Cindy had a solo in the 70s show that Geoffrey Holder did for The Supremes. All three ladies did a song in a dream sequence. I can't remember Cindy's song. When I saw the show, Susaye had just replaced Cindy and Cindy's voice was on the genie tape that was used.

Did Diana and Cindy sing backup for Mary on Can't take my eyes off you and Falling in Love or did they leave stage ?

Cindy had a solo on this song, "Love The One You're With", only few lines at minute 1:47.
    https://youtu.be/v9ESK28DTsM

Thanks guys !

I should have clarified that I meant during the Diana Ross & The Supremes era.

I'm still shocked, all these years later, that Mary got to lead a song on a TV program! I always thought it was weird

I think they felt she deserved it after all those years !

In the genie sequence, I believe Cindy did a Marilyn Monroe-associated number.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    In the genie sequence, I believe Cindy did a Marilyn Monroe-associated number.
    Yes, you are right, it was Marilyn Monroe associated but does anyone remember the song??? I just can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Thanks guys !

I should have clarified that I meant during the Diana Ross & The Supremes era.

I'm still shocked, all these years later, that Mary got to lead a song on a TV program! I always thought it was weird
    Earlier that year, Mary appeared by herself on THE DATING GAME. Since Diana was slated to leave, maybe Motown wanted to familiarize or refamiliarize the public with the remaining original member.

sorry but "Cant Take My Eyes off You" is a terrible recording - the tempo is just way too fast..Mary can barely catch her breath in the chorus and its abriged and over before its even began..for once Gil messed up..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    sorry but "Cant Take My Eyes off You" is a terrible recording - the tempo is just way too fast..Mary can barely catch her breath in the chorus and its abriged and over before its even began..for once Gil messed up..
    So true. Mary really seemed to love to sing this song. I don't care for it at all!!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 12-04-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Gil had a problem with drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gil had a problem with drinking.
    You really need to show the man respect. He was a Motown legend whos no longer here to defend himself. Not nice thing to post about Mr Askey.

Maybe someone hoped she could become the lead singer. I loved her solos and I liked this song a lot. But it's clear now that she wasn't ready to be lead singer.

Today she could take it on but she's way too old to have anything other than the modest career she has.

I understand why she did her solo. They're getting the public ready for a Ross less Supremes. She wasn't ready at that. But good effort.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Maybe someone hoped she could become the lead singer. I loved her solos and I liked this song a lot. But it's clear now that she wasn't ready to be lead singer.

Today she could take it on but she's way too old to have anything other than the modest career she has.
    It would have been good for the continuity of the group had she been capable of replacing Diana as lead singer but as you quite rightly say she was not ready. Beautiful to look at but lacking the star quality and charisma to be out front. She began to improve and gain confidence as the decade wore on but by then it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It would have been good for the continuity of the group had she been capable of replacing Diana as lead singer but as you quite rightly say she was not ready. Beautiful to look at but lacking the star quality and charisma to be out front. She began to improve and gain confidence as the decade wore on but by then it was too late.
    That's the shame of it; had she worked harder when she was younger and if she was as ready as she is now, if she hadn't let Pedro manage, there might have been a different story to tell. Always, the "what ifs" dog the 70's Supremes.

I just got the idea from mary's book that Diana would probably never allow Mary to take the spotlight. It's nice that she did

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    I just got the idea from mary's book that Diana would probably never allow Mary to take the spotlight. It's nice that she did
    Mary was always in the spotlight. She is the one that I and others guys looked at most. Nothing Diana Ross could have done to stop that! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-05-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: left out the word "at"

Mary was always in the spotlight. She is the one that I and others guys looked most. Nothing Diana Ross could have done to stop that! LOL!
    Looked at or looked the most like?

honest man Guest
    Mary was always in the spotlight. She is the one that I and others guys looked most. Nothing Diana Ross could have done to stop that! LOL!
    DIANA was always in the spotlight she was-is the star of the show,Mary and the other girls where background singers[penny dropping yet].pretty wallpaper nothing more nothing less.Lastly i have never seen Mary in any worlds beautiful woman votes though her Mentor has featured in many,when will you give up with your silly thought,you ruin this forum.

honest man Guest
    IT was a wasted song on a background singer who could not sing lead as the finished result proved,nobody will convince me ever that Mary Wilson was nothing more than a background singer ,who made a living by Association to Diana Ross,no matter what a certain few on this forum will try and spew ,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Looked at or looked the most like?
    They speak English in Vancouver. Read it again, but slowly this time..........

I thought all the banter about mary and Diana that was rude like this was against the rules here? Maybe I'm wrong. But to insult someone's looks or voice on this Motown forum is really rude! And both Diana and Mary captivate me!!

I like this version, the duet Mary did with Eddie Kendricks:

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    DIANA was always in the spotlight she was-is the star of the show,Mary and the other girls where background singers[penny dropping yet].pretty wallpaper nothing more nothing less.Lastly i have never seen Mary in any worlds beautiful woman votes though her Mentor has featured in many,when will you give up with your silly thought,you ruin this forum.
    Mary was without doubt very beautiful, and i think the only reason why she never featured on any of the beauty forums is quite simply because she was not a well known enough personality to qualify . Not many people outside of soul music and Motown would be sufficiently familiar with her.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Mary was without doubt very beautiful, and i think the only reason why she never featured on any of the beauty forums is quite simply because she was not a well known enough personality to qualify . Not many people outside of soul music and Motown would be sufficiently familiar with her.
    Exactly what i was replying to THE POSTER,who said Diana was never in spotlight,why complicate things,

honest man Guest
    I like this version, the duet Mary did with Eddie Kendricks:

Poor Mary the song was too much for her to handle,[good job Eddie and co where there to pick her up] ,Where STREPSILS Around then ,Mary should have downed a few boxes,cheers.

Bluebrock and Honest Man are right- Mary Wilson isn't well enough known to end up on lists

And of course when these ladies are 70 +, interest outside of our forum is modest

The song that Cindy [[and later Susaye sang, with Cindy's pre-song dialogue with "The Motown Genie") was "I'Ve Never Kissed A Man Before". Scherrie sang "You've Been A Good Ole Wagon" as Bessie Smith and Mary did "C'Est Magnifique" as Josphine Baker before they all came on stage to sing "Josephine, Marilyn & Bessie". This was done in 76 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    The song that Cindy [[and later Susaye sang, with Cindy's pre-song dialogue with "The Motown Genie") was "I'Ve Never Kissed A Man Before". Scherrie sang "You've Been A Good Ole Wagon" as Bessie Smith and Mary did "C'Est Magnifique" as Josphine Baker before they all came on stage to sing "Josephine, Marilyn & Bessie". This was done in 76 I believe.
    I remember and thanks Mark. By the way, Motown stole their bit for their "Motown Returns to the Apollo" tv special in 1985. They had various stars like Thelma Houston, Jennifer Holliday, Marilyn McCoo, Vanessa Williams and Debbie Allen imitate famous singers of the 20 th Century and then come together for the finale.

I remember and thanks Mark. By the way, Motown stole their bit for their "Motown Returns to the Apollo" tv special in 1985. They had various stars like Thelma Houston, Jennifer Holliday, Marilyn McCoo, Vanessa Williams and Debbie Allen imitate famous singers of the 20 th Century and then come together for the finale.
    Well I never knew that. Thanks Marv

Here's Cindy singing lead on "Where Did Our Love Go?" backed by Mary and Scherrie [[starts at 1:05).

Mary sang leads all the time onstage. I thought that was well known? I don't know of a time in the Supremes' history where she wasn't allowed to do leads live. People know of her but she's not like as known as a Beatle or anything. Florence is getting more name recognition post mortem than her...