[REMOVE ADS]

On this Day, November 30, 1982......

Michael Jackson's album 'Thriller' is released worldwide

The former Jackson 5 singer releases what will be the best-selling album of all time, 'Thriller.' Of the album's nine tracks, seven will reach the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 list. 'Thriller' will be among the first albums to use music videos as a marketing tool.

30 million plus copies sold, 32 million equivalent units altogether in the U.S.

Nine classic hits [[seven of which hit the charts).

Three classic videos.

Classic era, period.

I see to remember buying it the week of it's release, but I thought it was earlier than Nov. 30 more like October. But yes it is an all time classic now!

Wow..was it that long ago.

I was pleased it did so well but it wasn't a classic album for me. But I don't mind being in the minority!

As a middle school teacher back in the day, I recall several weeks before the release of this album, I used to write on the blackboard [[when we still used chalk) a countdown that "Thriller is Coming."
    It was fun using the lyrics to the actual song as a lesson in literary terms. As recently as last month, a former student hit me up on Facebook to tell me she remembered that lesson so well!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    As a middle school teacher back in the day, I recall several weeks before the release of this album, I used to write on the blackboard [[when we still used chalk) a countdown that "Thriller is Coming."
    It was fun using the lyrics to the actual song as a lesson in literary terms. As recently as last month, a former student hit me up on Facebook to tell me she remembered that lesson so well!
    Jobucats, do you remember this album coming out earlier in the Fall than November 30th? I can remember where I bought the album [[Sunshine Records in Aurora, Colorado) but it seemed it was around Mid October 1982.

The first single was released in mid-October; "The Girl Is Mine" Released: October 18, 1982. But they are now saying the album was not released until a month and a half later on November 30.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jobucats, do you remember this album coming out earlier in the Fall than November 30th? I can remember where I bought the album [[Sunshine Records in Aurora, Colorado) but it seemed it was around Mid October 1982.
    Sorry, Marv, although I have such a picture of my classroom and the anticipation at the time, I don't recall for sure about the release of album. It does seem that I had the album in time enough to prepare the lesson plan for the song, "Thriller," to present for Halloween. It is indeed possible that it was released prior to October 31.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Sorry, Marv, although I have such a picture of my classroom and the anticipation at the time, I don't recall for sure about the release of album. It does seem that I had the album in time enough to prepare the lesson plan for the song, "Thriller," to present for Halloween. It is indeed possible that it was released prior to October 31.
    Thanks Jobucats.

I remembered when the accepted date of its release was December 1st but they changed it to November 30th because that was on a Tuesday and before recently, most albums were released on a Tuesday. Now they come out at Fridays.

a landmark moment of change for the music/entertsinment industry..for better or worse it changed the whole game MJ knocked the ball right out of the park..I wonder if Berry regretted letting him leave Motown we all know Berry likes cash and thriller plus off the wall,Bad & dangerous could have been Motown product..elusive as MJ was about things he seemed to really like and respect Berry and didnt want to leave the label..

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    a landmark moment of change for the music/entertsinment industry..for better or worse it changed the whole game MJ knocked the ball right out of the park..I wonder if Berry regretted letting him leave Motown we all know Berry likes cash and thriller plus off the wall,Bad & dangerous could have been Motown product..elusive as MJ was about things he seemed to really like and respect Berry and didnt want to leave the label..
    Berry had a hard time giving up control. Michael and his brothers had to leave. There would have been no "Thriller" if they hadn't.

Berry wanted control. I doubt MJ would've been allowed to work with Quincy had he stayed with Motown. Joseph did the right thing by getting them to leave Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Berry wanted control. I doubt MJ would've been allowed to work with Quincy had he stayed with Motown. Joseph did the right thing by getting them to leave Motown.
    Exactly! After a few more attempts at a "bubblegum" hit, the Jacksons or Jackson 5 would have been relegated to B or C level group at Motown. The Commodores would have easily surpassed them.

why is it such a stretch to believe Quincy couldnt have worked with MJ if he stayed at Motown ? after all Berry had just let Diana work with Q,is the production and mixing of "Off The Wall" or "Thriller" so different from Commodores albums of that period ?..yes Joseph wanted the best for the brothers and is validated by the results at Epic but one thing Berry has never been big on is taking responsibilty for his actions - he let the golden goose leave and Motown lost incalcubale millions because of it..Same with Diana or Marvin all the talented they displayed in their careers at Motown and he let them leave..over money/production & writing leverage and Walter at Epic & CBS laughed all the way to the bank -he got "Thriller" and "Sexual Healing"..Berry must regret this he is far too competitive not to..

why is it such a stretch to believe Quincy couldnt have worked with MJ if he stayed at Motown ? after all Berry had just let Diana work with Q,is the production and mixing of "Off The Wall" or "Thriller" so different from Commodores albums of that period ?..yes Joseph wanted the best for the brothers and is validated by the results at Epic but one thing Berry has never been big on is taking responsibilty for his actions - he let the golden goose leave and Motown lost incalcubale millions because of it..Same with Diana or Marvin all the talented they displayed in their careers at Motown and he let them leave..over money/production & writing leverage and Walter at Epic & CBS laughed all the way to the bank -he got "Thriller" and "Sexual Healing"..Berry must regret this he is far too competitive not to..
    What he regrets is selling Motown to MCA and Boston Ventures for $61 million in 1988 only to have it re-sold to Polygram in 1994 for approx $ 330 million!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What he regrets is selling Motown to MCA and Boston Ventures for $61 million in 1988 only to have it re-sold to Polygram in 1994 for approx $ 330 million!

Yeah, when he sold it, I remember thinking that $61 million was a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yeah, when he sold it, I remember thinking that $61 million was a pittance.
    Well there were many people from Jesse Jackson to the janitor that advised him not to do it!

It's been 34 years [[amazing.....) and no one has yet been able to surpass Michae'ls accomplishment with this very special album.

Berry got a damn good deal for 61 million -the agreement was only for distribution.Berry kept Jobette and all other affiliated music licence publishing catalogs he kept sole ownership plus he kept the Motown tv\film enterprises and archives..Polygram respecting his stature in the industry were willing to stake 61 million in retail sales from the deal plus the prestige of promoting and distributing the catalog of the most beloved music empire in history...but Berry kept all intellectual property rights..1991 was a peak year for cd sales so Polygram could easily spare 61 million..in the last fiscal quarter for the company Bryan Adams,Dire Straits,Oleta AdamsCarpenters,Janet Jackson had brought in huge profits