[REMOVE ADS]

Leon Russell Dead at 74

Leon Russell dies at age 74. RIP Leon.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-at-74-w450174

RIP Leon. Wow....didn't know he played keyboards on The Ronettes, 'Be My Baby".

He played with the band on Shindig along with Glen Campbell and others. RIP Leon.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He played with the band on Shindig along with Glen Campbell and others. RIP Leon.
    and 'in the mid-1960s, and was in the house band for the 1964 concert film, “The T.A.M.I. Show.”'

The Master of Time and Space

Just curious, but wasn't he married to Brenda Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    No, Leon Russell was married to Mary Russell.

R.I.P. Leon :-[[
    I think the same thing but grace to Motown Eddie's explanation it's clarified; anyway i'm almost totally sure that i have seen some LP by both, Leon & Brenda in some music store in the 70's early 80's [[!!??).

Brenda used to be married to Brian Russell. They recorded a few albums together.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    R.I.P. Leon :-[[
    I think the same thing but grace to Motown Eddie's explanation it's clarified; anyway i'm almost totally sure that i have seen some LP by both, Leon & Brenda in some music store in the 70's early 80's [[!!??).
    Leon & Mary Russell did release an album called Wedding Album in 1976. That's probably the LP that you've seen in the stores. Another trivia fact, Mary Russell was formerly Mary McCreary, a member of the Sly & the Family Stone 'spin-off' act Little Sister [[remembered for the hits "You're The One" & "Somebody's Watching You" and the background vocalists on Sly & the Family Stone's work in the late '60s thru the mid '70s).

That was Brian Russell that was married to Brenda. They were Canadians.

I saw that very interesting documentary about "The Wrecking Crew." I'm going to rent it again from Netflix to check out Leon. From what I've read just in the Chicago Sun-Times you can see that his death is going to be a big loss in the music industry.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    RIP Leon. Wow....didn't know he played keyboards on The Ronettes, 'Be My Baby".
    Yeah, lakeside, Leon Russell was indeed a member of Phil Spector's Wrecking Crew. Leon remembers one particular take of The Ronettes' "Be My Baby" all too well! After Phil made the Crew run through umteen recorded takes of the track, Leon was so exhausted and punchy, he accidently played his piano right through the quiet drum solo near the end of the track -- thus ruining an otherwise perfect take!

Leon's crowning achievement with Phil was his magnificently-improvised piano solo near the end of Darlene Love's "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)" from the Philles Christmas album. At the Gold Star recording session, Phil was so thrilled with Leon's performance, he whipped out a $50-bill on the spot and rewarded Leon with it! Darlene has since commented that even Leon seemed pleasantly surprised by his own piano performance that day! Cool stuff!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-05-2016 at 03:45 AM.