[REMOVE ADS]

Encore November 2016 The Velvelettes

Name:  Velvelettes Encore Nov 2016.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  47.0 KB

The Velvelettes

Those women are something else! They can be included in the list of Divas without attitudes. I love them.

Ahh, so great!! Love them. They really are living legends!

It warms my heart to read nice comments about them. They are often ignored.

Thank you guys

:-)

Cal looks like a million bucks.

Awww thank you James.

Thanks for posting this TBFXT. They look marvellous, as ever, and we all remember them and keep them in their hearts. I love the wonderful photo of them at Uni. with Betty Kelley in the line-up. So sweet, and vibrant. Viva the Velvelettes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Thanks for posting this TBFXT. They look marvellous, as ever, and we all remember them and keep them in their hearts. I love the wonderful photo of them at Uni. with Betty Kelley in the line-up. So sweet, and vibrant. Viva the Velvelettes!
    Thank you Sharpmoves

All of them look gorgeous. Amazing ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thanks for the article! A great group who supports one another.

It's got to be ironic to the Velvelettes that, in spite of the fact that they were so underrated back in the 60s that they never even got to record their own album, they are the only female Motown group with a still active and vibrant act so many years later. [[Of course, we aren't even going to count the fake Marvelettes, and although I think at times Martha sings with today's Vandellas, she's really more known today as a solo act.)

I know I've said it before. It must have been hard to be a Velvelettes fan back then and see them get so little attention from Motown. It must be gratifying at least to see how wonderfully this group has evolved and stays in the spotlight. They deserve a lot of credit, not just for their longevity, but for their talent and ability to forge their career so many years later!

It's still hard to be a Velvelettes fan. Even now, they are passed over but whereas once upon a time I used to feel embarrassed to be the only one who posted about them, I am comfortable here because I've been doing it for so long. LOLOL

BTW, Cal has posted on the SDF site in the past

Has Midnight Johnny ever interviewed Cal, or any of the members? That would be a fascinating interview, to hear how it was like back then to be with Motown but not one of the top acts. I have to think he's thought of it.

It's still hard to be a Velvelettes fan. Even now, they are passed over but whereas once upon a time I used to feel embarrassed to be the only one who posted about them, I am comfortable here because I've been doing it for so long. LOLOL

BTW, Cal has posted on the SDF site in the past
    I remember at one time I was embarrassed at being a Velvelettes fan, but in the end their music was so good I just couldn't resist!! Honestly, they are just brilliant! I will always love them.

Also, I didn't know that Cal had posted on here. How long ago was that?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I remember at one time I was embarrassed at being a Velvelettes fan, but in the end their music was so good I just couldn't resist!! Honestly, they are just brilliant! I will always love them.

Also, I didn't know that Cal had posted on here. How long ago was that?
    It was a long time ago. I seem to recall urging her to post and she did pay her respects to someone that passed but then she forget her password.....probably less than 5 posts altogether. Her screen name was Cal Street

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Has Midnight Johnny ever interviewed Cal, or any of the members? That would be a fascinating interview, to hear how it was like back then to be with Motown but not one of the top acts. I have to think he's thought of it.
    Oh yes he has and it was a GREAT interview...and not that I am biased .......it's one of MJ's bests.

They talk about being offered Where Did Our Love Go in the interview.

Were The Velvelettes interviewed by Bill Randle, in his series of interviews with Motown stars around the time of the Motorcity project?

Dont think so WGB.....

When they were performing with Ali Woodson and the Contours in Liverpool - there were overtones he wanted to interview them but Bill was so sucking up to Ali at the time - he didn't pursue it. They went to the Beatles museum instead.

No, I couldn't recall them being on that quite long list of interviewed acts, many of which are on tapes in a drawer somewhere .....although I did get the impression that the interviews were recorded while Bill was in the US.....

I think most [[if not all) were recorded in America

Oh yes he has and it was a GREAT interview...and not that I am biased .......it's one of MJ's bests.

They talk about being offered Where Did Our Love Go in the interview.
    Oh, would I love to hear that! I'm going to email Midnight Johnny and see if he has a podcast of it. Thanks, X!