[REMOVE ADS]

Maxwell's "urban hang suite" celebrates 20 years with vinyl release

By far one of my favorite artists to emerge on the scene in the last 20 years

Jus a lil SUMTHIN' SUMTHIN'

"Ascension" might be the best soul record of the past 20 years. I didn't realize it had been that long since it broke.

Saw him in concert here in Amsterdam two weeks ago on a double bill with May J Blige in a large hall which was too big for him. Mary killed it tho!
    Fondly remember seeing him in 1996 here in a smaller setting at the Paradiso.

I've seen him 4 times live and he's an incredible performer

I cannot remember where or when I first heard "Ascension". Columbia/Sony had a strong developing word of mouth campaign. MTV ruled and I wasn't a fan of terrestrial radio. Press and word of mouth, along with the music video channels were usually the pathway to "what's new". I never heard the first single, "Till the Cops Come Knockin'". Often industry trade, HITS magazine, had their ear to the street and the cutting edge new release music. It may very well have been my conduit at HITS.
    Columbia/Sony put their money behind Maxwell and priced the album, just above a CD5 and half the wholesale price of a new CD. When "Acension" finally had me flyin', I ended up purchasing 6 copies of the album to give to friends. The fact that Maxwell had worked with Stuart Matthewman [[Sade) and eventually Sweetback, would eventually appear on the "Red Hot & Blue" compilation convinced me that he was a force to be reckoned with.