[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Oma Heard

Oma Heard

I need an Oma review. Did she also go by Oma Drake? Oma Page? What are the real facts about her stay and departure from Motown? As I recall she recorded some duets with Marvin that were eventually released. What was her voice like ? Thanks

I just found this. Nice voice. Good song. Was it officially released? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cosvNQwjKlo

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I just found this. Nice voice. Good song. Was it officially released? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cosvNQwjKlo
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, the record was released. The story is that it was "pulled back", but, it did get to shops in Detroit. Probably 50 to 100 [[or maybe a couple 100) escaped before they were pulled back.

The rumour was that Ms. Heard didn't cooperate with Motown's staff with respect to terms of her contract. But that record was issued in 1964, and she was still recording for Motown in duets with Marvin Gaye, and even a few solo recordings in 1965.

Thanks Robb. Interesting. Do you like the song?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Robb. Interesting. Do you like the song?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, I like "Mr. Lonely Heart". She mainly recorded as Oma Heard. She had releases on a few small L.A. labels, in addition to VIP.

She was Oma Drake when she was with Dorothy, Oma and Zelpha. They had a single, "Gonna Put It On Your Mind", with Chisa Records, then distributed by Motown, in 1969.

The duets by Marvin Gaye and Oma Page released on the first Marvin box set featured Oma Heard and not Oma Page - about whom little is known.

Thanks for Info!