[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hi!

Based on face-to-face meetings, I'd like to add:

Candi Staton, Toni Green and Ruby Turner.

Best regards
    Heikki

The singer Cherelle is a very nice lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As a matter of fact i do. She loved BREATHE LIFE INTO ME and MY ONE TEMPTATION but she was impressed with the whole album.
    It looks like i am in the minority with WHISPER A PRAYER. I adore the title track and YOU PUT A MOVE ON MY HEART which is superior to the Quincy Jones version. Is .. Is anyone familar with WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN an outake from the Contribution album, and also a Bobby Womack duet from the same sessions the title of which currently eludes me. Two stunning tracks.
    Thats funny, "Whisper A Prayer" and "You Put A Move On My Heart" are the only two songs i really like from the album. I thought "Whisper" sounded really commercial so was shocked when it flopped as a single, though the promo video was none to clever.
    I am a real sucker for laid back r & b/soul. I guess thats why i adore "This House" and "We Stand Together from Lady Di.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    As a matter of fact i do. She loved BREATHE LIFE INTO ME and MY ONE TEMPTATION but she was impressed with the whole album.
    It looks like i am in the minority with WHISPER A PRAYER. I adore the title track and YOU PUT A MOVE ON MY HEART which is superior to the Quincy Jones version. Is .. Is anyone familar with WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN an outake from the Contribution album, and also a Bobby Womack duet from the same sessions the title of which currently eludes me. Two stunning tracks.
    Oh my...fellow MICA PARIS fans???!!! She is nearly unknown in the U.S. I've loved her since picking up the "My One Temptation" 45 single in Summer of '89 I believe. Loved "Contribution." I used to buy all of her import singles at Tower Records. The Bobby Womack duet is "I Wish I'd Never Met You." I do like "Where Are The Children." My favorite track is probably "I Should've Known Better" which was an outtake from the "Contributions" sessions and was first released as a b-side of "South of The River." Then again as b-side to "I Never Felt Like This Before" and finally ending up on the "Black Angel" CD.

I love to hear that Diana Ross was a fan. Over the years, I heard Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, and Anita Baker speak favorably of her talent. Prince was also a fan. She is a marvelous singer and she still performs in the U.K.

Miss Randy sent me a beautiful black & white signed photo..she has a huge following here in New Zealand and tours here every few years ..a class act.

Heikki;

How could you and I have left our Miss Denise LaSalle out of this discussion? Shame on both of us! She was certainly nice to me and other fans the one and only time I saw her live. Hope she is still recovering by the way from her recent surgery.

David!

You're right. I did my first and most thorough interview with her already in the 90s, and I had forgotten about it.
    As far as I know, she'll start performing again in December.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Oh my...fellow MICA PARIS fans???!!! She is nearly unknown in the U.S. I've loved her since picking up the "My One Temptation" 45 single in Summer of '89 I believe. Loved "Contribution." I used to buy all of her import singles at Tower Records. The Bobby Womack duet is "I Wish I'd Never Met You." I do like "Where Are The Children." My favorite track is probably "I Should've Known Better" which was an outtake from the "Contributions" sessions and was first released as a b-side of "South of The River." Then again as b-side to "I Never Felt Like This Before" and finally ending up on the "Black Angel" CD.

I love to hear that Diana Ross was a fan. Over the years, I heard Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, and Anita Baker speak favorably of her talent. Prince was also a fan. She is a marvelous singer and she still performs in the U.K.
    Prince was indeed a fan of our lovely girl as was Anita Baker. I also believe you are correct in what you say about Chaka, It is news to me about Luther being a fan but i am glad to hear he was. I knew him a little and we did discuss his heroines who were Diana, Dionne and Aretha closely followed by Patti, but he never mentioned Mica,

Janet was incredibly sweet to me as well.

Bluebrock, I recall reading an interview with Luther in a free lifestyle magazine years ago. He was asked if there were any new divas with the talent to stand the test of time. He responded Whitney Houston and Mica Paris. I believe it was around the time of the "Whisper A Prayer" CD.

I hope memory serves me. I've always considered Luther's acknowledgment a high honor for Mica, particularly as she is lesser known in the U.S.

Producer David Foster once commented that one of my all-time favorite singers, Anne Murray, was an absolute joy to work with. Professional yet down to earth, she consistently showed up for recording sessions on time, she was fully-prepared with the material, and she was totally-cooperative and flexible -- willing to try any ideas that he suggested. It gives me a warm glow inside to learn that my favorite musical heroes and heroines were just as nice behind the scenes as their voices were on record.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Bluebrock, I recall reading an interview with Luther in a free lifestyle magazine years ago. He was asked if there were any new divas with the talent to stand the test of time. He responded Whitney Houston and Mica Paris. I believe it was around the time of the "Whisper A Prayer" CD.
    I hope memory serves me. I've always considered Luther's acknowledgment a high honor for Mica, particularly as she is lesser known in the U.S.
    Thank you for that Guy. I really did not know that but i am very pleased to hear it. I am still in touch with Mica so i shall ask her for her recollection of Luther's admiration. Thank you so much for posting your message,

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Producer David Foster once commented that one of my all-time favorite singers, Anne Murray, was an absolute joy to work with. Professional yet down to earth, she consistently showed up for recording sessions on time, she was fully-prepared with the material, and she was totally-cooperative and flexible -- willing to try any ideas that he suggested. It gives me a warm glow inside to learn that my favorite musical heroes and heroines were just as nice behind the scenes as their voices were on record.
    I can vouch for Anne Murray. A lovely sweet lady who was polite and respectful to everyone. A fine singer too. A pity she went into retirement.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 11-03-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: not finished post

I was going to mention Anne Murray. She is a beautiful person.

Coming from an R&B/Jazz type background as a musician and ending up working as a newscaster, ultimately in Country radio in the early 80's...I must say that having met and known many artists and musicians...most nice and some not so in my previous life and since then...that the overwhelming majority of the Country artists were among the nicest people I met in the entertainment industry. My station, WWWW was at the time...the #1 "Modern Country" station in the U.S. at that time, thus, practically every big country artists would come by the station when they were in the area and I got to meet most of them. One of the nicest was Ricky Skaggs and it was coincidental that Vonnie Ei met him recently when Bobby and RIcky were both inducted into the Musicians Hall Of Fame in Nashville, and Vonnie made it a point to tell me what a great guy Ricky was and how they developed this great friendship during the brief time they were in Nashville together...I was able to believe it...I'm sure Anne Murray is much the same, and I never heard a bad word spoken about her...That said...I'm not sure how far from the concept of "diva" this thread has taken versus just female vocalists...assuming that they are not necessarily one in the same...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-03-2016 at 06:06 PM.