[REMOVE ADS]

Dusty almost steals it from Martha

Never thought anyone could give Martha a run for her money but...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1PUY...qLbPsYrT_AE%3D

Great clip. I usually don't like remakes but Dusty Springfield really "brings it" in her version of 'Heat Wave'. And speaking of Martha, they did a fantastic duet on 'I Can't Hear You No More' [[from Ready Steady Go-The Sounds Of Motown​).

Dusty covered a lot of Martha's great songs. Not quite topping her, IMO, but great versions from the UK's greatest female vocalist, I think. Though Shirley Bassey is also amazing, and still singing. RIP Dusty, we do miss you.

Dusty really respected and admired Martha and her music, and learned so much from her. Once they met they quickly became great, great friends — to the point that many thought there was possibly more than that between them, but it's doubtful that was ever the case. I think it was more a "mutual admiration society."

Didn't they do a duet of[wishin and hoping]?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Didn't they do a duet of[wishin and hoping]?
    They sure did!

This also makes me realize how much Annette and Roz contributed to the song .

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    This also makes me realize how much Annette and Roz contributed to the song .
    Yes indeed! No Andantes on that one...I've been listening to the M&TV Live! album again, and marvelling at how well Roz and Betty backed Martha - strong, clear and chracterful. No Andantes thre either, not a single one!

I thought Annette was on Heat Wave and Betty on Dancin in the streets..

I thought Annette was on Heat Wave and Betty on Dancin in the streets..
    Yes that is true.

I'm a huge fan of Dusty. And Bacharach's music. And if course Martha & The Vandellas. The clip of them singing together is musical heaven!

That clip was taken from Dusty's and Vicki Wickham's historic "Sounds of Motown" segment of Ready, Steady, Go, which basically introduced Hitsville acts to TV audiences in the UK. Dusty hosted the event and performed a few numbers and was especially awed by Martha, so she decided to include this duet [[or quartet if we include Roz and Betty). Reportedly, this did not sit well with Diane at all. In the show's finale [["Mickey's Monkey") The Miracles, naturally, took center stage, while all the other acts on the show, including Dusty, were to perform grouped together. It's said that Diane groused so much to Berry that eventually Dusty had to agree to give The Supremes one whole side of the stage. You can clearly hear Diane trying her best to sing louder than anyone else. It's really pretty funny.

Last edited by BigAl; 10-27-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Dusty does an excellent version of "Can I Get A Witness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqiOAzzcC1Q

GT03uk
    http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/motown365/index

Dusty was one of the most talented but tortured people that i ever met. The power and control in her voice was awesome, but she had a crushing lack of self confidence I was in awe of her talent .but she could be very very difficult, but despite that i loved her with all my heart Thanks for the memories my beloved lady. Never forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Dusty was one of the most talented but tortured people that i ever met. The power and control in her voice was awesome, but she had a crushing lack of self confidence I was in awe of her talent .but she could be very very difficult, but despite that i loved her with all my heart Thanks for the memories my beloved lady. Never forgotten.
    What you say I've often heard before...Some folks I'm aware of had been working on a Dusty biopic, but I don't know what happened to that project...Certainly if Amy Weinhouse is worthy of a feature film [[no offense intended)...so is Dusty...one of [[IMHO) the 5 greatest [[female) pop singers of all time and one of the big 3 [[most legendary) female singers from Great Britain [[Dusty, Petula Clark & Shirley Bassey)...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 10-27-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Pet Sho boys indicates how arduous it was to record her. Sometimes she insisted on a word at a time or even a syllable at a time !!

Pet Sho boys indicates how arduous it was to record her. Sometimes she insisted on a word at a time or even a syllable at a time !!
    She was real insecure about her talent and how she looked and now shes passed. Let the lady shine in Heaven..

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thats lovely dear Bluebrock.

Fondly,

Roberta

The Dusty biographies I've read, most notably Dancing with Demons by her [[supposedly) good friends Vicki Wickham and Penny Valentine, all paint a picture of a tortured, frightened, insecure, yet amazgly talented performer, obsessed with perfectionism. There's a teardrop on virtually every page. It depressed me no end. To read that book, you would surmise that Dusty never had a single happy moment in her life, and I sort of wish I had never read it. With friends like Vicki and Penny cashing in on her tribulations and memory, I'd say Dusty probably didn't need any enemies.

Nona Hendrix is Wickham' s long term partner. I thought they both had a pretty good reputation in music business.
    Last edited by luke; 10-27-2016 at 07:58 PM.

She really rips that "Can I Get a Witness"! Can't say much for her lip-syncing skills, though.
    Thanks, GT03uk!

Nona Hendrix is Wickham' s long term partner. I thought they both had a pretty good reputation in music business.

Thanks BigAl