[REMOVE ADS]

Jay & Techniques at Motown

Did they record anything good at Motown? Promoted? Don't think I've ever seen a discussion on this. Thanks

I have one 45 by J&tT in my collection. Gordy 7123 Robot Man b/w I'll Be Here. It was released in December of 1972.

In Motown the Golden Years by Bill Dahl, pages 260-262 there is a lengthy discussion about the group. Jay Proctor, lead singer is quoted as saying ". . . I don't know how that Motown thing came about. We only did one record and actually, I didn't even lead that one," he said in 1995. He went on to say he absolutely hated the song which he wouldn't even sing on it. And I absolutely hated it, he continued. One of the other guys sang it and they put it on the Motown [sic] label. We did that one record and that was it.

NOTE: It was on the GORDY, not Motown label.

And furthermore, www.dftmc.info confirms that this also was the only two songs recorded by the "alleged" Jay and the Techniques.

Thanks Woodward. All seems a bit odd!

Probably a Jerry Ross connection?

Does anyone know who actually sang lead on their sole Motown single?

The B-Side, "I'll Be Here", is quite nice...

Tom: Please check your private emailbox on the forum. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Have done, and have replied!

A brief summary of the group and their recording for Motown:

The group hit big in the late '60s with "Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" and "Keep The Ball Rolling", both produced by Jerry Ross.

After 1968 the group's success began to diminish and they started touring extensively, travelling domestically and internationally. Jerry Ross contacted the group in 1972 with a chance to sign with Motown.

Lead singer Jay Proctor:
    I think [[producer) Jerry Ross called me sometime in the '70s. He said, 'Motown wants to sign you to do a couple of things'.

Their sole Motown record, however, didn't feature many [[if any) of the original members of Jay & The Techniques.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-24-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Berry Gordy/Motown approached Jerry Ross for product from Philly on the strength of his hit song "I'm gonna make you love me".
    Ross leased product to Motown such as Virgil Henry, Festivals and Jay & Techniques.
    Therefore they were not true Motown recordings.

Tom: Second request. I resent an email to you. Please check it again. Sorry.

TCMS implies that the lead singer on the Gordy release was George "Lucky " Lloyd.

Tom: Second request. I resent an email to you. Please check it again. Sorry.
    No problem. I have responded!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    TCMS implies that the lead singer on the Gordy release was George "Lucky " Lloyd.
    Ah, thank you 144man.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Did they record anything good at Motown? Promoted? Don't think I've ever seen a discussion on this. Thanks
    Both sides of the Gordy single have Philly written all over them - the writers are Bellmon, Drayton, Akines and Turner [[aka The Corner Boys, the Formations, the Silent Majority [on Hot Wax] and Hot Ice), with lots of Philadelphia composer credits, and the arranger Lenny Pakula, MFSB keyboard player.