[REMOVE ADS]

How close did Motown come to releasing this?

Mother Dear. I've only seen another video of this. Here they give it their all. Flo delightful. They seemed to really be pushing this song on tv. Did they almost release it? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSW-mc...sNLR2aLIvFA%3D.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mother Dear. I've only seen another video of this. Here they give it their all. Flo delightful. They seemed to really be pushing this song on tv. Did they almost release it? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSW-mc...sNLR2aLIvFA%3D.
    I heard that it was being readied for a single release, but they opted at the last minute for another song. Maybe it was "I Hear A Symphony"?

I thought it may have been Nothing but Heartaches. If so in hindsight Mother Dear may have been better

According to Wikipedia, " it was canceled in favor of the single "Nothing but Heartaches"

Not sure if it would have done any better than "Nothing But Heartaches" but for me it was another brilliant track, much like the rest of the "More Hits" set.

https://www.facebook.com/wedgeville575/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

Wayne

Apparently "Mother Dear" was cancelled in favour of "Nothing But Heartaches", but then that broke The Supremes' streak of number ones [[making only #11), so Berry Gordy issued this statement:

We will release nothing less than Top Ten product on any artist; and because the Supremes' world-wide acceptance is greater than the other artists, on them we will only release number-one records.

And then they released "I Hear A Symphony" which returned the group to the top spot on the charts!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-22-2016 at 09:45 AM.

I believe it was considered twice. First time as the single to follow "Back In My Arms Again." "Nothing But Heartaches" was ultimately decided as the next single. It was considered for a second time that fall thus why they appeared on Red Skelton and Dean Martin promoting the song. Motown decided to go with "I Hear A Symphony" instead.

Wasn't the reason Motown decided against releasing Mother Dear as a single because it didn't get a great public reaction when they performed it on TV?

Mother Dear and Nothing But Heartaches were too similar to each other and Motown was always attacked for being too repetitive so that's why HDH had to find something different but still catchy enough that the public would dig, that's where I Hear a Symphony comes in the fray.

I iked NBH better. the Funk Bros are really working it. great album from the ladies

"Mother Dear" was included in The Complete Motown Singles - 1965. The sleeve notes say that it was cancelled at the last minute. DFTMC does not mention the issue of promos.

It was given serious consideration as a single twice, possibly a third time. As others have said it was scheduled to follow Back In My Arms Again. Then HDH came up with Nothing But Heartaches and that one got the nod.

Based on the timeline, The Supremes first did Mother Dear on the Red Skelton Show 1/25/66. This was about a week after My World Is Empty Without You debuted on the Hot 100. They performed it again on The Dean Martin Show on 3/24/66 after My World Is Empty has peaked. Knowing that the shows were taped a few weeks in advance, it would appear to me that Mother Dear was going to follow Symphony and then given consideration to follow My World Is Empty. I remember being confused both times that the girls didn't do My World Is Empty on either show.

Mother Dear was recorded twice more so it had a long shelf life in terms of consideration. I still think the More Hits version was the best.

Now would NBH made the top 5 if it hd been performed more on TV.if they were performing Mother Dear instead. NBH didn't seem to get the push some if the other songs did.i think it was performed only twice. Same for Live Us An Itching and My World Us Empty