[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops - The Good Lord Knows

There doesn't appear to be a clean quality video of this song on YouTube but it rates with me among my top 5 tracks by the Four Tops. It's Motown by virtue of the "Keeper Of The Castle" album being released a couple of times by Motown on CD. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    There doesn't appear to be a clean quality video of this song on YouTube but it rates with me among my top 5 tracks by the Four Tops. It's Motown by virtue of the "Keeper Of The Castle" album being released a couple of times by Motown on CD. Wonderful.
    It's NOT Motown by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't consider this to be a Motown track either. The production is too lightweight for me

The production is ideal for this song. Relaxation and Motown go hand in hand for me. Love the voices on here.

Maybe I should listen to it a few more times. It was good to hear Obie though.

Is there any track that has a few solo lines from Duke...I can't think of one off the top of my head

That's an interesting question XT. There's a nice exchange of voices on "Do What You Gotta Do" though not Duke . I think he's more to the fore on some lines in "MacArthur Park" but not solo. I do like the ones where they swap vocals and, I guess I'm one who goes more for the softer side of the Tops.

Whether it's Motown or not, I think the best place to discuss the Four Tops ' work is on the Motown forum.

Duke does say a line on Ain't No Women Like The One I Got

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I don't consider this to be a Motown track either. The production is too lightweight for me
    It's my least favorite song on the album. The rest of the album smokes, though.

And it's my favourite song on the album as well as being one of my top 4 Tops tracks of all. Opposite ends of the spectrum on this one! That's allowed.

I've had the Keep of the Castle album for years but have never listened to this song. Nice indeed. Obie sounds good.

Is there any track that has a few solo lines from Duke...I can't think of one off the top of my head
    Yes, there is. Listen to "Bits and Pieces":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxCfkGYV_0

Ain't No Woman and Mama You're All Right With Me and Peace Of Mind

Duke can also be heard doing some lines we are used to hear sung by the lead, on this tribute:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbel00
    Last edited by Daan76; 09-23-2017 at 07:21 AM.

I still love "The Good Lord Knows" which I first heard as the B-side to
    "[[I Think I Must Be) Dreaming" on Probe all those years ago.

Great Lawrence Payton lead

Pretty sure he also wrote it, I would love to hear this on the Christian radio stations, Keeper of the Castle album is super, another great track on this LP is Please Remember what I Told You to Forget.
    Amen Brother, good to see someone recognize this song.

BTW this was the first 4 Top LP recorded after they left Motown on the Dunhill Label, I purchased it when it first came out in 1972-1973, wrote a music review of the LP on my high school newspaper, I had an opportunity to meet my music idol Levi in 1974 and told him that I had written the review , and that it was at an all white high school He got a great kick out of that.

Not really a solo but Duke does puts his performance into the foreground on the high parts in this clip of "In the Still of the Night" & "Eleanor Rigby" seen here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4T9yCdo72s

But the ultimate Duke-solo is offcourse "We did it our way":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXypcapLuY4

Duke also has his line in "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got".