[REMOVE ADS]

THE SUPREMES - baby, baby, wo ist unsere liebe

I've said many times that in over 50 years, I have not heard Florence Ballard's voice on "Where Did Our Love Go?. Listen to this. This is how the song would have sounded if you were able to hear Florence along with Mary Wilson:

I totally see the difference. But I think it's because Florence is dialed down on the song.

Marv, they sing in unison and not much harmony which is the reason flo's vocals aren't more prominent,ll i hhear is two voices singing-baby,baby where did our love go,which is probobly why mary didn't like it not vocally challenging.

From the time my Mom brought the 45 of "Where Did Our Love Go?" home way back in 1964 to this day, I cannot for the life of me hear Florence Ballard anywhere on that record. If she is, why make it so hard to hear her.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've said many times that in over 50 years, I have not heard Florence Ballard's voice on "Where Did Our Love Go?. Listen to this. This is how the song would have sounded if you were able to hear Florence along with Mary Wilson:

That video messed me up. It's the same song and tune and singer and everything but in German it's just NOT RIGHT! Nein nein nein! LOL

Another thing is that once berry realized that he wanted diana to lead the other girls were just backup singers,as has been discussed many times.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    That video messed me up. It's the same song and tune and singer and everything but in German it's just NOT RIGHT! Nein nein nein! LOL
    The point of posting it was that you can clearly hear both Mary and Florence in the background.

Totally agree Marv. This is a perfect example. Miss Flo audible on this one

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The point of posting it was that you can clearly hear both Mary and Florence in the background.
    Sorry Marv, hehe
    I could hear Florence clearly - that messed me up as well!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Totally agree Marv. This is a perfect example. Miss Flo audible on this one
    Luke you can hear the markedly different sound with both ladies featured on backup compared to what has always sounded like a duet of Mary and Diana on the original English version.

Exactly. I've always said English version sounds like a Mary/Diana duet!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Exactly. I've always said English version sounds like a Mary/Diana duet!
    It does to me as well. Maybe because HDH wanted Mary and Diana on lead at one time. Recording it the way they did, they in way got both.

Can any of you technical wizards combine Diana’s English lead vocal with Mary’s and Flo’s German backup vocals? Just a thought.

Have to agree with Marv on this. Sounds like Mary and Di on the English version.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to agree with Marv on this. Sounds like Mary and Di on the English version.
    mysterysinger it does. I have tried very hard to pick Flo's voice on it with no luck at all. Even on The Supremes #1's where the increased the volume on the background vocals , I could not hear Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Can any of you technical wizards combine Diana’s English lead vocal with Mary’s and Flo’s German backup vocals? Just a thought.
    That would be amazing. Great idea.

Great point Marv. Lamont and Brian compromised with Eddie!

This is one of six songs by The Supremes that were overdubbed in German and Italian and the recording details given below may in some way explain why the backing vocals; in particular the prominence of Flo's voice sound different from the English recordings we're all familiar with. So here are the relevant notes taken from the Hip-o-Select CD "Motown Around The World" booklet:

"German overdub sessions for the hit tracks were held at Hitsville between January 28 and February 3, 1965 L.A. recorded backing tracks were used for the four new songs. The titles were issued as four singles, with an original title on one side and a hit remake on the other, and the singles were released in Germany on the CBS label."

"Martha Reeves once recalled to David Bell that the man who flew in from Germany to supervise the recordings knew so little English that Berry Gordy ended up producing the tracks."

"Moonlight And Kisses" - produced by Marc Gordon and Hal Davis; German overdub produced by Berry Gordy. Band track recorded in California, dates unknown; German vocals recorded February 1, 1965."

"Where Did Our Love Go [[Baby, Baby, Wo Ist Unsere Liebe) " - produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier; German overdub produced by Berry Gordy. Recorded 8 April, 1964, German vocals recorded January 28, 1965.

"Thank You Darling" - produced by Marc Gordon and Hal Davis; German overdub produced by Berry Gordy. Band track recorded in California, dates unknown; German vocals recorded February 1, 1965.

"Jonny Und Joe - [[Come See About Me)" - produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier; German overdubs produced by Berry Gordy. Recorded July 13, 1964, German vocals recorded January 29, 1965.

Finally in 1966, the following two Supremes songs were overdubbed into Italian and released on one single on the Italian Tamla Motown label:

"L'Amore Verra - You Can't Hurry Love" - produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier; Italian overdubs produced by Peter Ricci. Band track recorded June 11, 1966, recording completed July 5; Italian lead and group vocals overdubbed December 18, 1966 and

"Se Il Filo Spezzerai - You Keep Me Hangin' On" - produced by Brian Holland and Lamont Dozier; Italian overdubs produced by Peter Ricci. Band track recorded June 30, 1966; recording completed July 1. Italian lead and group vocals overdubbed December 19, 1966.
    Last edited by motownjohnny; 10-21-2016 at 06:29 AM.

That's still super confusing!!! Loo