[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Boo....!

Boo....!

Hey gang it's almost that scary time[holloween]so let's list our favorite horror films...the wolfman[1941-lon chaney jr.]...the fly[1986-jeff goldblum]..frankenstein[1931-boris karloff]..the exorcist[1973-linda blair]..son of frankenstein[1935-boris karloff]..curse of the werewolf[1961-oliver reed]..dracula[1931-bela legosi-1992-gary oldman]..the pit and the pendelum[1961-vincent price]..dr.jeckyl and mr.hyde[1941-spencer tracy]..interview with a vampire[2000-brad pitt].....so turn down the lights and have scary good time,or stand and face the hounds of hell and rot inside a corpses shell-ahahahahahahaha....!

The Night of the Living Dead -1968. I remember walking home from basketball practice after seeing it on TV over the weekend. I walked in the middle of street so that I could see everything around me. LOL

Witchcraft - 1964 Saw this one in the theaters as a kid. I remember it all these years later and found it on DVD. When she drowned the man in the bathtub by holding a voodoo doll underwater, I did not want to take a bath for a week. hehehehehehehe....

Last edited by marv2; 10-18-2016 at 08:43 PM.

The Exorcist......scared the bejesus out of me. I slept with one foot on the floor for a week....fearing the bed might start levitating!

I'm ashamed to say I don't really watch any horror films. I just never have! I know it's not in the 'horror' genre but War Of The Worlds really freaked me out for a while. LOL

I can't think of any others, oh dear, I think I've watched only comedy films for the last five years, LOL

Hey tomatotom,you gotta hang with me at holloween,i got films that will make[war of the worlds]look like a sunday school picnic!!

I forgot a good one..the mummy's curse[1941-lon chaney jr.]the closing scene will make you turn on the lights,don't let the fact that it was made back in the day fool you,this old universal flick ain't no joke!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    the night of the living dead -1968. I remember walking home from basketball practice after seeing it on tv over the weekend. I walked in the middle of street so that i could see everything around me. Lol
    hey marv,how ironic was that ending,a good flick.

Who remembers the[1961]vampire flick-blood and roses about a female vampire,goosebump city.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey tomatotom,you gotta hang with me at holloween,i got films that will make[war of the worlds]look like a sunday school picnic!!
    Hehe, I bet they would, LOL!!

Oh, oh, I remember watching some version of Goosebumps on the TV as a kid and this girl put on her Halloween costume and couldn't take it off. That freaked me out too.

That's about it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    The Exorcist......scared the bejesus out of me. I slept with one foot on the floor for a week....fearing the bed might start levitating!
    That was one of my scariest too. My sister was really mean when we were growing up. She was pissed off all the time. The summer I went to see the Exorcist got to me because her bedroom was next to mine and I could hear her talking in her sleep. I knew she was possessed! LOL!

hey marv,how ironic was that ending,a good flick.
    Too ironic! The way it ended bothered me, but I can't put a finger on why other than he was the hero and in most pics, he would have survived.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" still gives me the willies. And I'll never forget going to the midnight show to see "Alien" with my big brother. The only available seats were in the front row. When the alien jumped from the egg and onto the astronaut's face, I literally stood out of my seat and turned toward the door to run away. Everybody saw me and the place cracked up laughing at me. I think they thought that I was being a wise ass, but instinct had kicked in and I wanted to get the **** out of there.

Hey marv,i dare ya to lay down beside a tombstone and have[thriller]in your head set,hehehehehehehehe!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    john carpenter's "the thing" still gives me the willies. And i'll never forget going to the midnight show to see "alien" with my big brother. The only available seats were in the front row. When the alien jumped from the egg and onto the astronaut's face, i literally stood out of my seat and turned toward the door to run away. Everybody saw me and the place cracked up laughing at me. I think they thought that i was being a wise ass, but instinct had kicked in and i wanted to get the **** out of there.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,jerry you're a hoot!!!

I bet nobody will try this one...stand in front of a mirrow with the lights out and say-candyman,candyman,candyman,candyman,candyman....if you live through it let me know.

Hey marv,i dare ya to lay down beside a tombstone and have[thriller]in your head set,hehehehehehehehe!!!!
    there is no way that is going to happen so you can forget it! LOL! I remember riding my bike in Forest Cemetery as a kid. They had these great hills and I loved riding down them.

I bet nobody will try this one...stand in front of a mirrow with the lights out and say-candyman,candyman,candyman,candyman,candyman....if you live through it let me know.
    Not doing it. hehehehehehe

I met Vincent Price in 1981 when came to my school to give a lecture. I was leaving my apt to head back to class and he was walking right down the street. I went over and said hello and he said "well hello young man." LOL! it was raining that day as I recall.

Here's another one that creeped me and my buddies out pretty good:

Now this one really got to me. I first saw "Invisible Invaders" from 1959 on "The Big Show" a local Toledo afternoon movie program. I had nightmares over this one:

not doing it. Hehehehehehe
    hey marv,ain't it funny that we are grown ass men and we won't stand in front of that mirror...i'd rather eat at greasy grady's!!

hey marv,ain't it funny that we are grown ass men and we won't stand in front of that mirror...i'd rather eat at greasy grady's!!
    It's funny,but in a way it's not. It's like some people develop a fear of heights, spiders, snakes or what have you at a young age. They carry those same fears throughout life. If the Candy Man movie scared you good enough back then, chances are it still some residual fright in it for you now. Now forget all of that and come meet me down at Grady's where you have to use a spoon to scoop the heavy film of grease off the top of your coffee. LOL

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...first cup's on me!!!

Greasy Grady's? Nope. I heard that Littlebits is hanging out there doing lap dances for ham hocks and malt liquor. Three guys had their laps broken last week alone. I'll take my chances with Candyman, Jason, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers AND Bloody Mary before I let her do her dance of death.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa...jerry are we the only[ghoules]still up at this hour[hehe]..as for lilbits she fell off her diet and crushed her doctor,her nurse three assistants and a puppy who was just visiting,she's in a bad way.

Too ironic! The way it ended bothered me, but I can't put a finger on why other than he was the hero and in most pics, he would have survived.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  21.1 KB
    That was a deliberate dig against how racist The USA was, that it was more important to kill a Black man, automatically assuming he was more dangerous to The racist Whites than killer zombies, and also, at the same time that the racist White majority couldn't allow a Black man to be the "hero" of a film.

I met Vincent Price in 1981 when came to my school to give a lecture. I was leaving my apt to head back to class and he was walking right down the street. I went over and said hello and he said "well hello young man." LOL! it was raining that day as I recall.
Views: 222
    Interesting that Price was a leading man in romantic roles as a young man during the 1940s, and only got typecast as a ghoulish type after his role in "House of Wax" in the early '50s. Like Boris Karloff, John Carradine, Lon Chaney, Sr., Peter Lorre, Christopher Lee, and Basil Rathbone, he was a very fine actor.

My favourite "horror films" are: "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with Spencer Tracey, "Frankenstein" with Boris Karloff, "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi, "Nosferatu", "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff, "The Raven" original '30s version, with Boris Karloff, "Island of Lost Souls" with Charles Laughton, Bride of Frankenstein, "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney, Jr., "Most Dangerous Game", and almost any of the Boris Karloff '30s and early '40s films.

I like films from the '20s, '30s and '40s most. Just like I don't like most music after 1967, I don't like many US films after the mid 1950s, and don't like most British films after the early 1960s.

I just have very old-fashioned taste. I grew up seeing movies from the 20s, '30s and '40s on TV, as that was a big proportion of what was on TV in the early '50s, and I grew up listening to '30s, '40s and early '50s music, and reading '40s and beginning of the '50s comic books, and classic novels I read as a child. I guess that the late '40s and early '50s were "good times" for me, and although I've had a "good time" in my life, ever since, I've never gotten over the wonder and draw of those things to which I was exposed, early in my life. I can appreciate new artistic efforts for their excellent quality of artistic achievement, but, somehow, they can never make as important impression on me as those artistic creations I encountered as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Greasy Grady's? Nope. I heard that Littlebits is hanging out there doing lap dances for ham hocks and malt liquor. Three guys had their laps broken last week alone. I'll take my chances with Candyman, Jason, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers AND Bloody Mary before I let her do her dance of death.

Jerry, I kid you not. My dad had a friend named "Littlebit". She was like 4'6" and not a midget.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    That was a deliberate dig against how racist The USA was, that it was more important to kill a Black man, automatically assuming he was more dangerous to The racist Whites than killer zombies, and also, at the same time that the racist White majority couldn't allow a Black man to be the "hero" of a film.
    Robb, that totally makes sense. I wonder if George Romero or anyone has written an analysis of the film. Thank you.

Views: 222
    Interesting that Price was a leading man in romantic roles as a young man during the 1940s, and only got typecast as a ghoulish type after his role in "House of Wax" in the early '50s. Like Boris Karloff, John Carradine, Lon Chaney, Sr., Peter Lorre, Christopher Lee, and Basil Rathbone, he was a very fine actor.

My favourite "horror films" are: "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" with Spencer Tracey, "Frankenstein" with Boris Karloff, "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi, "Nosferatu", "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff, "The Raven" original '30s version, with Boris Karloff, "Island of Lost Souls" with Charles Laughton, Bride of Frankenstein, "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney, Jr., "Most Dangerous Game", and almost any of the Boris Karloff '30s and early '40s films.

I like films from the '20s, '30s and '40s most. Just like I don't like most music after 1967, I don't like many US films after the mid 1950s, and don't like most British films after the early 1960s.

I just have very old-fashioned taste. I grew up seeing movies from the 20s, '30s and '40s on TV, as that was a big proportion of what was on TV in the early '50s, and I grew up listening to '30s, '40s and early '50s music, and reading '40s and beginning of the '50s comic books, and classic novels I read as a child. I guess that the late '40s and early '50s were "good times" for me, and although I've had a "good time" in my life, ever since, I've never gotten over the wonder and draw of those things to which I was exposed, early in my life. I can appreciate new artistic efforts for their excellent quality of artistic achievement, but, somehow, they can never make as important impression on me as those artistic creations I encountered as a child.
    Robb and JAI, I also liked all of the classic horror films for the 30s ,40s and 50s you guys mentioned. We use to watch them almost every Saturday afternoon on a local Detroit program called "Sir Graves Ghastly Presents".

I'm a big fan of William Castle films. I saw "House on Haunted Hill" when I was really young and it scared the crap out of me when the movie started by having a skeleton float over the audience on wires....also, "The Tingler", when they had seats wired to give you a shock. Never saw that one in the theater, though.

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/williamcastle.html
    Last edited by lakeside; 10-19-2016 at 09:33 AM.

I heard of them doing that in theaters. "The Tingler" was also a favorite of mine from seeing it on television.

Robb and JAI, I also liked all of the classic horror films for the 30s ,40s and 50s you guys mentioned. We use to watch them almost every Saturday afternoon on a local Detroit program called "Sir Graves Ghastly Presents".
    We used to have "Chiller Theater" on Friday at midnight. That's where I first saw the old Universal horror films [["The Wolfman" being my favorite). I also became a huge Godzilla fan because of Chiller. Then we had "Terror By Night". We also had "Flippo the Clown" and "Fritz the Night Owl" [[I don't have time to explain these) and "All Night Theater", which showed non-horror films but was a three hour program with 60 minutes of movie and two hours of the host talking to the audience about things we didn't care to hear.

When we got cable, we started watching the Cleveland movie shows and their hosts had ours beat by a mile. Things were so different back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We used to have "Chiller Theater" on Friday at midnight. That's where I first saw the old Universal horror films [["The Wolfman" being my favorite). I also became a huge Godzilla fan because of Chiller. Then we had "Terror By Night". We also had "Flippo the Clown" and "Fritz the Night Owl" [[I don't have time to explain these) and "All Night Theater", which showed non-horror films but was a three hour program with 60 minutes of movie and two hours of the host talking to the audience about things we didn't care to hear.

When we got cable, we started watching the Cleveland movie shows and their hosts had ours beat by a mile. Things were so different back in the day.
    We also had Zackerly in New York years ago. I got a chance to see Chiller Theater out of Cleveland before.

Chiller Theater in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights at 11:30. The host [["Chilly Billy" Cardile) recently passed. A lot of scary Saturday nights!
    My all time scary fave? Alien.....I'm with Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Chiller Theater in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights at 11:30. The host [["Chilly Billy" Cardile) recently passed. A lot of scary Saturday nights!
    My all time scary fave? Alien.....I'm with Jerry!
    Moe, I guess every city had their own Host Ghoul for horror movies. At least until Elvira came along and took everything. LOL!

Not sure if "Jaws" could fit into this genre? But, it scared me to death as I was living in Miami when it came out and was regularly going to John Pennycamp snorkeling a lot and was getting ready to be certified in scuba diving. Well....all that ended abruptly after seeing "Jaws" and I've never had any regrets! It was 'horror' to me! I've never been back in the ocean!

I can't forget the one with a plot which involves a colony of over 2,000 soulful spirits, even if only a few hundred of these are ever thought to be 'active' at any one time.

Most of these spirits communicate only by using names other than their own. They come and go at will, manifesting their presence on each occasion by making the sign of their name visible to the other spirits. They will often leave messages on intangible threads. The content of these threads can be quite baffling to those not of the same spirit world.

Many thousands of other spirits witness these messages, but are powerless to respond. These spirits are not members of the inner circle, and will lurk for long periods on the periphery, yet the outer circle they inhabit is immense, as is the number of spirits to be found there.

The spirits of this colony are never all they seem. Some have been at large in a previous time, but were banished, only to return with a different name. These vengeful, unhappy entities are the most malevolent of all. Despite attempts by some to ignore them, they will often attempt to wreak disruption and unrest upon the stability of the colony, by leaving disrespectful and offensive script in full view.

There is an unseen Controller whose powers are used in moderation. He has the power not only to introduce all spirits, but to banish those dark spirits who would cast shadows on the activities of the colony. He is a watchful, benign, tolerant force, until negative activity compels him to act, and then attempt to eradicate all trace of the dark forces.

The whole existence of the colony is constantly changing shape and nature, and has the power to transfix some of the spirits, who return daily to the colony, as if mesmerised.

Some unhappy spirits obsessively pass messages about certain entertainers, most notably one who is revered as the goddess Diana, and who reigns supreme in the hearts of many, but the tone of their messages often results in banishment of these vengeful spirits.

This colony of spirits is aware that their existence cannot endure forever, and so, while they may, will constantly recall the entertainment of their youth, lest they forget it.

The future of the colony is stable, yet so often seems under some threat, and requires constant vigilance and input by those who are drawn to the magic it possesses.

It is a very haunting, spooky and somewhat disturbing scenario, and so any viewer of this post is reassured that it bears absolutely no resemblance to reality.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 10-19-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Not sure if "Jaws" could fit into this genre? But, it scared me to death as I was living in Miami when it came out and was regularly going to John Pennycamp snorkeling a lot and was getting ready to be certified in scuba diving. Well....all that ended abruptly after seeing "Jaws" and I've never had any regrets! It was 'horror' to me! I've never been back in the ocean!

Jaws? HA! I still have my original rubber replica of him from 1975. LOL!

Mine was sold to me as 'Flipper'.

Now I'm really getting scared.....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I can't forget the one with a plot which involves a colony of over 2,000 soulful spirits, even if only a few hundred of these are ever thought to be 'active' at any one time.

Most of these spirits communicate only by using names other than their own. They come and go at will, manifesting their presence on each occasion by making the sign of their name visible to the other spirits. They will often leave messages on intangible threads. The content of these threads can be quite baffling to those not of the same spirit world.

Many thousands of other spirits witness these messages, but are powerless to respond. These spirits are not members of the inner circle, and will lurk for long periods on the periphery, yet the outer circle they inhabit is immense, as is the number of spirits to be found there.

The spirits of this colony are never all they seem. Some have been at large in a previous time, but were banished, only to return with a different name. These vengeful, unhappy entities are the most malevolent of all. Despite attempts by some to ignore them, they will often attempt to wreak disruption and unrest upon the stability of the colony, by leaving disrespectful and offensive script in full view.

There is an unseen Controller whose powers are used in moderation. He has the power not only to introduce all spirits, but to banish those dark spirits who would cast shadows on the activities of the colony. He is a watchful, benign, tolerant force, until negative activity compels him to act, and then attempt to eradicate all trace of the dark forces.

The whole existence of the colony is constantly changing shape and nature, and has the power to transfix some of the spirits, who return daily to the colony, as if mesmerised.

Some unhappy spirits obsessively pass messages about certain entertainers, most notably one who is revered as the goddess Diana, and who reigns supreme in the hearts of many, but the tone of their messages often results in banishment of these vengeful spirits.

This colony of spirits is aware that their existence cannot endure forever, and so, while they may, will constantly recall the entertainment of their youth, lest they forget it.

The future of the colony is stable, yet so often seems under some threat, and requires constant vigilance and input by those who are drawn to the magic it possesses.

It is a very haunting, spooky and somewhat disturbing scenario, and so any viewer of this post is reassured that it bears absolutely no resemblance to reality.....
    LOL, very good, westgrandboulevard!

At first I was so confused, hehe, I mean, what's all this about spirits and colonies and controllers and what... Oh, "goddess Diana", LOL

Mine was sold to me as 'Flipper'.

Now I'm really getting scared.....
    but Flipper was a Dolphin.

i can't forget the one with a plot which involves a colony of over 2,000 soulful spirits, even if only a few hundred of these are ever thought to be 'active' at any one time.

There is an unseen controller whose powers are used in moderation. He has the power not only to introduce all spirits, but to banish those dark spirits who would cast shadows on the activities of the colony. He is a watchful, benign, tolerant force, until negative activity compels him to act, and then attempt to eradicate all trace of the dark forces.

Some unhappy spirits obsessively pass messages about certain entertainers, most notably one who is revered as the goddess diana, and who reigns supreme in the hearts of many, but the tone of their messages often results in banishment of these vengeful spirits.

hey west,are you talking about a horror film or the motown threads?hehehehehehe!!!

We had a latenight horrow show called[shock]which came on at midnight on saturday we little devils would be right in front of the tv with eyes wide open and hearts beating fast waiting for our favotire monsters to appear,also count gore devall and sir graves were legends too.

that was a deliberate dig against how racist the usa was, that it was more important to kill a black man, automatically assuming he was more dangerous to the racist whites than killer zombies, and also, at the same time that the racist white majority couldn't allow a black man to be the "hero" of a film.
    robb you're absolutly right,but i didn't want to get political.

How could I forget my all time favorite that scared the crap out of me as a kid......."Black Sabbath" with Boris Karloff! It was three stories in one. I could not sleep for a few days afterwards:

Last edited by marv2; 10-31-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Happy Halloween everybody!!