[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MS M YOU'RE STILL AS SHARP AS EVER,I CAN'T THINK OF A SINGLE SONG TODAY THAT I'LL REMEMBER A YEAR FROM NOW EITHER[of course I forget my kids names too]NOW I LOVE BEYONCE,ALICIA KEYS AND JOHN LEGEND,AND HAD THEY BEEN AROUND WHEN MOTOWN WAS IN POWER NO DOUBT THEY WOULD'VE BEEN THERE,BUT THE SONGS WE GREW UP ON ARE THE CLASSICS.

I love you more arr&bee.

Now this is the sort of thing I'm talking about....I heard this song a million years ago and fell in love with it....today...the words still resonate with me....that's just one of the many things that make a classic.....

Oh no question,one of the many great songs from that classic group.

Splanky turned me on to this tune a few years ago....and it's been on several of my playlists. I was singing along to it in the car after picking up my youngest and a few of her friends from music project at church, and the 3 of them were singing the background part in the backseat.... and sounding much better than me.

I love Ledisi....and have been into Janelle Monae, thanks to the Undercover Black Man's blog years before her breakout Tightrope. And I've listened to dozens of other "real" artists over the years..... some through my kids, some not.

IMHO.....Saying the music of today doesn't compare to the music of my past is like saying, "the book was better than the movie". Duh. Nearly everyone over 50 says that.

Most of us don't listen to the "radio" nearly as much as we used to. How can you compare songs that you've listened to over 10 times to something that you've heard once or twice.....especially if you're already prejudiced.

As for me personally......when it comes to music, just like books, movies and TV.....it doesn't have to be as good as "fill in the blank" for me to like it. I watch bad TV and I'm sure I listen to "bad" music....despite what Louis Armstrong said.

The music from 40 years ago may be much better than what's on the radio now......but people who grew up with Louis Armstrong and Ella and Billie and Benny Goodman and Nina and so on......used to say the same thing about Funkadelic and EWF and Chaka and so on.

There will always be someone somewhere making good music.....it's there for us to find.

And for R&B and MsM and that "I don't think I'll remember this music 10 years from now" [[paraphrase)....... 10 years from now you'll be lucky to remember what you ate for breakfast.... and so on.

Your points are well taken and logical,but me being me i'm stickin to my guns...most of the music of today-s-u-c-k-s..oh and i do listen to alot more songs because i have a college aged daughter who like most youngsters tells me i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!!

Be honest, y'all. We remember the music from the past because it was in the soundtrack of our best years. We remember dancing to those songs at house parties and nightclubs. We remember the songs that were playing when we first fell in love. We remember the school dances when we stole our first kisses and rubbed bellies while our friends watched, jealously. All the good times.

These days? Who cares what's on the radio when you're on your way to get a colonoscopy? Or what's on the TV music channels when your oatmeal is finally cool enough to eat? We are playing out the string and instead of wanting to face it, we consider today's music to be inferior because we probably feel that way ourselves.

LOL.

Today's music cannot compare with that of the '60s and '70s! No way. There's just something about it, something that makes it special, and for me, because I wasn't there, there's an element of mystery and fascination as well! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    be honest, y'all. We remember the music from the past because it was in the soundtrack of our best years. We remember dancing to those songs at house parties and nightclubs. We remember the songs that were playing when we first fell in love. We remember the school dances when we stole our first kisses and rubbed bellies while our friends watched, jealously. All the good times.

These days? Who cares what's on the radio when you're on your way to get a colonoscopy? Or what's on the tv music channels when your oatmeal is finally cool enough to eat? We are playing out the string and instead of wanting to face it, we consider today's music to be inferior because we probably feel that way ourselves.

Lol.
    hey jerry,if you've ever eaten at grasy grady's you'd feel inferior too,oh and for a limited time only if you dare to eat there at thanksgiving.you'll get a free referral for a colonoscopy at the clinic of your choice!!

When I heard that Grady was serving fried turkeys on Thanksgiving, I didn't know he was talking about the base heads and winos who had nowhere else to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Your points are well taken and logical,but me being me i'm stickin to my guns...most of the music of today-s-u-c-k-s..oh and i do listen to alot more songs because i have a college aged daughter who like most youngsters tells me i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!!
    I'm gonna faint because this part of you I agree with. Is this your nanosecond of lucidity, R&B?

Or better yet.......I got the vapors!!

Des.........we ALL sing better than you!!

And for R&B and MsM and that "I don't think I'll remember this music 10 years from now" [[paraphrase)....... 10 years from now you'll be lucky to remember what you ate for breakfast.... and so on.
    Never said music of today was inferior and never said it was all garbage. I said people will probably not remember it in years to come the way we do our songs and I will add, doubt they will revere their music the way we do our music. So I'm sticking to my guns, chaps and horse too!

I don't need to wait ten years. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning. So if that was your best shot, DUDE you're slipping.

"i'm too biased....hehehehe hell yeah and gonna stay that way!!! "

Maybe you will....but she's gonna outlast ya.

Tomato T....The first element of mystery is.....which music of the 60's and 70's are you referring to?

"Des.........we ALL sing better than you!! "
    Thank you for speaking truth to power.

MsM........I save my best shots for the best......don't poke.

Quote Originally Posted by destruction View Post
    Tomato T....The first element of mystery is.....which music of the 60's and 70's are you referring to
    MOTOWN!! Of course, Lol
    Basically just Soul and related R&B, Funk and Disco. In essence I like '60s and '70s Soul more than I like today's Soul, I think that's what I'm trying to say. [[In other words, I would probably dislike heavy metal music from the '60s just as much as today's heavy metal, hehe. I don't know!)

So as I'm understanding now, the main point of this thread was to whine...Personally I think
    that if one doesn't like any of the music being made today one shouldn't listen to it. As I said
    I don't like autotune or most of current Hot 100 Billboard pop acts so I don't buy them. When
    I want to hear that old school classic soul/r&b or classic rock for that matter, that's what I
    have my collection for. But going back to the original notion in this thread that no one is singing and playing real instruments anymore, that is not true at all. As des said, you have to look for it. Why? Because it's not our time anymore, that's why. We had our time when our taste ran the charts and motivated the big labels bu tit's done. Louis whined about be-bop,
    purists whined about fusion, rockers whined about disco and almost everybody whined about rap. Whether you agreed or not, it didn't stop the change. Yes, I agree that a lot
    of today's music sucks but I know 2 things that helps me...1. Constantly whining about it
    is not gonna make them stop producing it and 2. Not ALL of it sucks...like what you like and
    keep it moving....

MsM........I save my best shots for the best......don't poke.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    So as I'm understanding now, the main point of this thread was to whine...Personally I think
    that if one doesn't like any of the music being made today one shouldn't listen to it. As I said
    I don't like autotune or most of current Hot 100 Billboard pop acts so I don't buy them. When
    I want to hear that old school classic soul/r&b or classic rock for that matter, that's what I
    have my collection for. But going back to the original notion in this thread that no one is singing and playing real instruments anymore, that is not true at all. As des said, you have to look for it. Why? Because it's not our time anymore, that's why. We had our time when our taste ran the charts and motivated the big labels bu tit's done. Louis whined about be-bop,
    purists whined about fusion, rockers whined about disco and almost everybody whined about rap. Whether you agreed or not, it didn't stop the change. Yes, I agree that a lot
    of today's music sucks but I know 2 things that helps me...1. Constantly whining about it
    is not gonna make them stop producing it and 2. Not ALL of it sucks...like what you like and
    keep it moving....
    Great post. Somebody is buying it, so it is as relevant to them as our oldies are to us. In thirty years [[forty?) we'll all be dead and somebody will be posting the same stuff on another message board about the music of that time. C'est la vie.

Your post reminded me of a story that Herbie Hancock once relayed. He told Miles Davis that Wynton Marsalis was coming down hard about Hancock's forays into pop and hip hop. "Wynton needs to shut up," Davis said about Marsalis' insistence that great jazz artists should focus their energy on making great jazz. "That's what they make records for."

If you like the old stuff, there's plenty of it to listen to.

Something to think about...

I just went back to re-read many of the post and some people said why they didn't like today's music. Some posted or recommended names of groups or artist beyond "our oldies" they felt people should listen to and some posted about different techniques used in music today but I honestly didn't see anything that could be thought of as whining. I saw opinions being expressed about new music vs old.

Granted, these discussions have been taking place, every so often since I joined but I'm seeing new names I've never seen before, so why shouldn't the new peeps have a chance to voice their opinions or ideas along with the senior posters?

Everyone has a right to express their opinion, even people who don't like or disagree with said opinion but keep in mind, many of us are familiar and comfortable with one another and we tend to have a short hand, if you will, in the way we communicate. But not everyone here is a senior member and saying to them they are whining because they decided to share may be a turn off. Could also be one of the many reasons why there are 30k+ lurkers who don't want to join in.

Just a thought.

Woohoo, shout out to the newbies! And the lurkers! Hehe

I have only been here a few months and almost all discussions I have had have been great! With this one, I don't really see people whining, just making points right?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Woohoo, shout out to the newbies! And the lurkers! Hehe

I have only been here a few months and almost all discussions I have had have been great! With this one, I don't really see people whining, just making points right?
    TomatoTom, when I read there were more than 30,000 lurkers it blew me away. Now I'm sure they all have their reasons for not joining but I started remembering when I was a lurker. Although there are still a lot of heavyweights here, back then there even more and many were legends in their own right and the others were posters who lived and breathe this stuff.

I LOVE MUSIC, but didn't feel I was knowledgeable enough to chime in to any of the discussions. Then one day I posted. Can't remember the topic buy my post had something to do with a non Motown, non R&B group and the first person that responded welcomed me and made me feel good about what I had said. He also said I should always feel like I could express myself. Eventually I started to do just that which on numerous occasions pissed folk off and I'm sure caused all kinds of headaches for Ralph....LOL...but it was that one poster that me feel welcome and let me know my opinion mattered.

Realizing this thread was started by a junior member I thought it was time I played it forward. So welcome to all of you I don't know new and old and to all the lurkers..Jump in. The water can be choppy at times but hey, it can also be great fun....and the music....OH MY THE MUSIC
    Last edited by ms_m; 11-19-2016 at 07:21 PM.

ms_m, I think you have captured what it means to be a lurker perfectly!

I wasn't a full-time lurker as such, just coming across old threads when looking up obscure Motown things. The thought of joining didn't even cross my mind. Seeing Joe Harris of The Undisputed Truth and Dennis Coffey posting on this very site made me think that this was not for me. Everyone on here already knew each other and I suppose didn't think I could be a part of it. [[I know, so sad, lol) I mean, who I am!? I am nobody, and I know nothing!

I eventually joined because I wanted to know something about The Undisputed Truth. The first person to answer [[shout out to marv2, hehe!) actually KNEW Joe Harris. Mind-BLOWN.

And now I love it here! Like-minded lovers of Motown music talking about Motown music [[among other things), it's just great!

So, this is a shout out to the lurkers! All 30,000 of ya! Hehe

Ms M.........

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Ms M.........
    Smooches my friend and a whole lotta smilies to you too....HAHAHAHA

Oh and a shout out to Chi Drummer wherever you are.

Well, isn't this Thursday Lurkey Day? Maybe the ghosts will use the occasion to make their presence known.

So, Old Ghostbusters or New Ghostbusters, who ya gonna call?

Sorry, I myself heard a lot of whining. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it. It's okay, people
    have the right to whine in this country. Still. We'll see what happens after Rump takes office.
    Anyway, peace to all the newbies and lurkers. Have a nice day...

30.000 lurkers????are you kidding me??wow this place is a national treasure...hey ralph,are they gonna put us in the archives or the smithsonian,hehehehehe!!!

Ms M,
    I'm with your team today. I want EE & Company to beat the Ravens!!
    Good Luck!!

Ms M,
    I'm with your team today. I want EE & Company to beat the Ravens!!
    Good Luck!!
    MY GIRL....You ALWAYS come through in the clutch.

You have an easy day today but I ain't to proud to pull for the Steelers. Always had a soft spot for Franco and Tomlin is pretty ez on the eyes too! LOL

30.000 lurkers????are you kidding me??wow this place is a national treasure...hey ralph,are they gonna put us in the archives or the smithsonian,hehehehehe!!!

30k AND PLUS....You start the petition to get us in somebody's Hall of Fame and I'll sign.

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    So, Old Ghostbusters or New Ghostbusters, who ya gonna call?
    The funny ones. I'll let you decide which ones they were...

Thank you Ms M!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cowboys win!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The funny ones. I'll let you decide which ones they were...
    Didn't bother to see the second one so I'll go with the original. Surprise, surprise. LOL

Thank you Ms M!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cowboys win!
    We Be Smokin Moe!

Didn't bother to see the second one so I'll go with the original. Surprise, surprise. LOL
    I didn't laugh once at the new one. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I didn't laugh once at the new one. Glad I didn't pay to see it.
    Lol. I think I laughed a couple of times. And I paid...

30k and plus....you start the petition to get us in somebody's hall of fame and i'll sign.
    hehehe..ms m,your name carries alot more weight than mine,so maybe you can speak to some of your friends on the hill and get us in..i -umm-err-heh-amhe..once had my name on a petition but the judge threw it and me out of court and said for me never to have anything with my name on it ever appear again!!!

hehehe..ms m,your name carries alot more weight than mine,so maybe you can speak to some of your friends on the hill and get us in..i -umm-err-heh-amhe..once had my name on a petition but the judge threw it and me out of court and said for me never to have anything with my name on it ever appear again!!!
    LOL...I'll have to get right on it then cause after Jan 20, 2017, I'll be persona non grata in dem dere parts.

Ms m,stay in shape cause we're drafting you for[2020]!!