[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I have seen Mary perform Nathan! Owie! I bet Touch would be fantastic.
    Her voice is still in great shape. She could sing "Touch" like a sexy lullaby right this minute! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The change by the time of Touch was to all flops
    Nope right after "Touch" the next single was "Floy Joy" a #16 Pop and a # 5 R&B hit!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    you wrote : Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But I liked the Supremes infinitely better without Diana Ross. I liked it when their sound matured and they stopped releasing bubble gum type music.

and I will quote you: Its not about Diana Ross ----
    Please practice what you say.

Will do but the main subject of that sentence was The Supremes. The problem you are having is that you do not want to me mention the name "Diana Ross ever"! I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here. Let's focus on the subject of the thread as much as possible and we can avoid "problems".

There is a version of Touch by Mary in the vaults with her entire vocal as both she and Jean recorded the song and then the vocals sliced together

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    ! I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here.
    lolololololol and Trumps never said hed build a wall.

Nope right after "Touch" the next single was "Floy Joy" a #16 Pop and a # 5 R&B hit!
    I would regard FLOY JOY s every bit as much bubblegum pop as the early Supremes songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would regard FLOY JOY s every bit as much bubblegum pop as the early Supremes songs
    That is true! I think it was supposed to be though, Smokey took them back to their '60s style. "Automatically Sunshine" is not that far from bubblegum either.

Have to say I have never liked "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love", either by The Supremes or Kim Weston. I just don't like the song and I can't really say why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Have to say I have never liked "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love", either by The Supremes or Kim Weston. I just don't like the song and I can't really say why that is.

I love that song!

Lol love that clip

YWSSL has a funky vibe to it. I think the live version of MJL on Flip Wilson is the best one. the slightly faster pace just gave it a bit more life.

I do think Smokey should NOT have sung it with the girls. wasn't the right sound

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    That is true! I think it was supposed to be though, Smokey took them back to their '60s style. "Automatically Sunshine" is not that far from bubblegum either.
    You are quite correct. I slightly prefered AS to FJ but neither were great and the album wasn't that hot either.

You are quite correct. I slightly prefered AS to FJ but neither were great and the album wasn't that hot either.
    I like them both, and so did the UK actually, both were Top Ten hits!

Sorry, but the last time I checked Diana was a Supreme. Well at least history has it written that way. If you do as you say then I want have to remind you.
    Peace

Will do but the main subject of that sentence was The Supremes. The problem you are having is that you do not want to me mention the name "Diana Ross ever"! I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here. Let's focus on the subject of the thread as much as possible and we can avoid "problems".

Soul train dancers loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Lol love that clip

Weren't they gettin' it? They were doing it! One thing I noticed about the dancers on Soul Train and that is if they liked a record, they really got into dancing to it. In the above clip it is clear that they LOVED "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love". We did too.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Soul train dancers loved it!
    They sure did. Makes me wished I could go back in time and join them!

Sorry, but the last time I checked Diana was a Supreme. Well at least history has it written that way. If you do as you say then I want have to remind you.
    Peace
    She was long gone from the Supremes by the time of "Early Morning Love". You don't have to remind me of anything. I know the history of these singers far better than you. Maybe you should pay me for educating you. LOL!!!!

Peace
    Just ignore him captainjames. He thinks he owns these forums.

I would have chosen sha ka bandit or bend a little over some of the other in this one and where is it I belong

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I would have chosen sha ka bandit or bend a little over some of the other in this one and where is it I belong
    We all have differing opinions. I thought WHERE IS IT I BELONG dull and dreary. YOU TURN ME AROUND was a much better ballad from that era in my opinion. BEND A LITTLE should never have been shelved. A great track.

I totally agree Bluebrock, I was shocked when I heard Bend a Little , it was too good to be shelved......thought the same for Sha La Bandit. although SLB was issued on At Their Best in 1978. it was a nice treat to hear it along with Love Train. but I did feel some good songs were left off the album but I suppose Motown had given up on the group by then and there was no point in issuing any more single even though Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good was planned as a single but cancelled in 1978.

We all have differing opinions. I thought WHERE IS IT I BELONG dull and dreary. YOU TURN ME AROUND was a much better ballad from that era in my opinion. BEND A LITTLE should never have been shelved. A great track.
    obviously ,I think , you have good taste!

Tell you what ,,, I should pay you... and I should have done it the first time you mentioned anything you thought you knew and that was PAY YOU NO ATTENTION.

She was long gone from the Supremes by the time of "Early Morning Love". You don't have to remind me of anything. I know the history of these singers far better than you. Maybe you should pay me for educating you. LOL!!!!

I don't know what Motown was thinking when they shelved Bend A Little. that's one of the best unreleased tracks by the Supremes. It had top twenty written all over it.
    As for Mary's lead on Early Morning Love, it was a great track for Mary which allowed her to stretch her vocal muscle. I'm sure Scherrie would have don a great job as well, but I really like Mary's vocal on this.

wasn't Motown wanting "Its All Been Said before" as the new single ?

yes , Its All Been Said was going to be the first single. I understand Mary had it cancelled because she wanted a song she sang lead on. apparently she tired of the ladies coming and going. so she wanted the group to revolve around her as she was the last original member. she showed great growth over the last few years but not sure if she was ready to be lead at the time. they needed a pop sounding singer......Scherrie Payne.
    I think Mary did ok with the song but ....there r better performances by her including Can We Love Again. I think the focus was on how many leads MW got instead of salvaging the group and album. but all in all not a bad album
    I would have went with IABSB

"Its All Been Said Before" was always my favorite [[.....I'm All Through because Its All Been Said Before). Scherrie was pretty and she could sing.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    yes , Its All Been Said was going to be the first single. I understand Mary had it cancelled because she wanted a song she sang lead on. apparently she tired of the ladies coming and going. so she wanted the group to revolve around her as she was the last original member. she showed great growth over the last few years but not sure if she was ready to be lead at the time. they needed a pop sounding singer......Scherrie Payne.
    I think Mary did ok with the song but ....there r better performances by her including Can We Love Again. I think the focus was on how many leads MW got instead of salvaging the group and album. but all in all not a bad album
    I would have went with IABSB
    I agree it should have been the first single or at the very least the follow up to HE'S MY MAN. My only problem with it was that it was too short. I would have kept it going for another 30 seconds or so.

I've never understood the attraction to Its all been said before. To me it's frenzied and not very melodic, IMO.

I've never understood the attraction to Its all been said before. To me it's frenzied and not very melodic, IMO.
    Along with HE'S MY MAN, COLOUR MY WORLD BLUE, and WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE i thought it one of four excellent songs on the album. The only song i didn't care for was the dull and dreary WHERE IS IT I BELONG which never seemed to get going in my opinion. Different strokes i guess,

I agree Bluebrock. I would have issued Its All Been Said first as well. the only two songs I didn't care for are the ones you mentioned

Me neither. "Color My World Blue" was a better song than that and of course "He's My Man" even better.

There is nothing "bubblegum" about a song about a pimp or player! If you think so, you'd better ask somebody.........hehehehehehehe! Did you even listen to the lyrics?

It's not a favorite of mine either. I have my own special mix for "The Supremes '75" and this one never makes the cut. That said, it would have been nice for the group to get new material out in late '74, which is when I think they recorded "It's All Been Said Before" along with "It's In His Kiss [[The Shoop Shoop Song)", which would have made for a nice B-Side.

I also can't blame Mary for wanting more leads considering the turnover the group had in the prior year. I don't think she could have known how loyal Scherrie would be, or her popularity with fans.

There is nothing "bubblegum" about a song about a pimp or player! If you think so, you'd better ask somebody.........hehehehehehehe! Did you even listen to the lyrics?
    Ermm yes i did, and i still regard it as bubblegum pop. Most people would take little notice of the lyrics and instead be drawn in by the bubblegum pop melody as indeed i was in my early teens. i did buy it at the time because it was by the Supremes, but i never really cared much for it. You obviously love it and i respect your right to so please respect mine.

I agree with you Bluebrock. Sounds bubble gum to me too. Loved the Floy Joy album but hated the song!

I think Its All Been Said was very pop and would have fit into the music of 1974 very nicely

I agree with you, luke. It's All Been Said Before was not one of my favorites on the album. I think the key is too high for Scherrie and she sounds a bit shrill in a couple of places. I don't think it would have done any better than He's My Man, which was very popular in the DC area. I think the problem with Bend A Little is that it didn't really sound like anything else on that album. That said, I think it's a killer song. I would have included the 3 lead version of Sha La Bandit on the LP. I think that would have fit right in.

I am also on the Pop side of Floy Joy. I think the entire Floy Joy album was a Smokey Pop masterpiece. I got excited because after Floy Joy started climbing the charts, my local music store actually carried the sheet music for it!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I agree with you, luke. It's All Been Said Before was not one of my favorites on the album. I think the key is too high for Scherrie and she sounds a bit shrill in a couple of places. I don't think it would have done any better than He's My Man, which was very popular in the DC area. I think the problem with Bend A Little is that it didn't really sound like anything else on that album. That said, I think it's a killer song. I would have included the 3 lead version of Sha La Bandit on the LP. I think that would have fit right in.

I am also on the Pop side of Floy Joy. I think the entire Floy Joy album was a Smokey Pop masterpiece. I got excited because after Floy Joy started climbing the charts, my local music store actually carried the sheet music for it!
    "It's All Been Said Before" was just another album cut to me. "He's My Man" sounded fresh and the fact that it had 2 of the ladies singing the lead reminded me of the O'Jays with Eddie and Walter.

The "Floy Joy" album was excellent from start to finish in my opinion. Smokey outdid himself.