[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Supremes - Early Morning Love.

Hi Scherrie, how long have you been Freda's sister? Two years less than she's been mine lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Hi Scherrie, how long have you been Freda's sister? Two years less than she's been mine lol.

,Loved this line up but as we have said previously this would have been much better had Scherrie handled the lead vocals. Loved the album from whence this came though.

I think Mary did a great job with this song. I only wished they had let her ad-lib a little on it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think Mary did a great job with this song. I only wished they had let her ad-lib a little on it.
    She did great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    ,Loved this line up but as we have said previously this would have been much better had Scherrie handled the lead vocals. Loved the album from whence this came though.
    I completely agree and i have to say those pants suits are not flattering imo. Sherrie is such a lovely lovely lady. The questions from the audience was great.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    She did great job!
    As she usually does. As the saying goes....no Mary Wilson, no Supremes!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-18-2016 at 08:14 PM.

I can't agree with that assessment unfortunately, I feel Mary's breathy, smokey vocal doesn't fit this funky track at all. Could have been a big hit if Scherrie had recorded it the way it was originally planned.

Mary was in her element on Don't Let My TEardrops Bother You.

While i certsinly like marys version been playing it f years i wish we coild jsve hesrd scherries version on a demo ftom t let yourself go box set

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    While i certsinly like marys version been playing it f years i wish we coild jsve hesrd scherries version on a demo ftom t let yourself go box set
    Fran, I might move to Brooklyn.

Mary did not feel that she owned that song it was more like the song owned her. It was not a good song for her voice. If you want Early Morning Love make me feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I can't agree with that assessment unfortunately, I feel Mary's breathy, smokey vocal doesn't fit this funky track at all. Could have been a big hit if Scherrie had recorded it the way it was originally planned.

Mary was in her element on Don't Let My TEardrops Bother You.

I was talking about this performance in another thread the other day. The '75 Soul Train performance was my visual introduction to MSC, and the one that solidified them as my favorite lineup. I loved the questions, and especially Scherrie's answer.

I never thought of anyone but Mary singing "Early Morning Love", but I agree Scherrie would have done a wonderful lead.

Despite all the internal drama with the group, it does seem like folks were genuinely excited about the return of The Supremes. Very sad that Cindy left just a few months later.

loved Supremes 75 album . but not this song. I did hear a different mix of this song that I liked better. I would have preferred one of the out takes over .

The only excitement about the return of The Supremes was from hardcore fans like myself and the gay disco clubs. Mainstream America was pidgeon-holing the group as not worthy without Ross who had risen to superstar status.

There was virtually no airplay of this lp or the two singles. Cindy may have indeed taken the burden of this failure on her shoulders, with many feeling she was too old and too heavy. This grouping had a nice sound but they couldn't compare to LaBelle or the Three Degrees. Motown just put the lp out to silence Mary. And it did. For a brief period.

I agree David. Mary performs it well but it's not a song I like. I love the other version of Sha la la bandit when they all sang a verse. Could have been an out of left field hit. He's My Man got a lot of play and was a dance hit and should ha e broken pop. It has that Motown sound and excitement. The Soul Trainers loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I agree David. Mary performs it well but it's not a song I like. I love the other version of Sha la la bandit when they all sang a verse. Could have been an out of left field hit. He's My Man got a lot of play and was a dance hit and should ha e broken pop. It has that Motown sound and excitement. The Soul Trainers loved it!
    "He's My Man" went to number one on the Dance Charts I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The only excitement about the return of The Supremes was from hardcore fans like myself and the gay disco clubs. Mainstream America was pidgeon-holing the group as not worthy without Ross who had risen to superstar status.

There was virtually no airplay of this lp or the two singles. Cindy may have indeed taken the burden of this failure on her shoulders, with many feeling she was too old and too heavy. This grouping had a nice sound but they couldn't compare to LaBelle or the Three Degrees. Motown just put the lp out to silence Mary. And it did. For a brief period.
    None of that made much sense [[not what you are saying,but what "mainstream America may have thought and what Motown was doing), because they all could still sing great and they were a very attractive group visually. I never compare the Three Degrees because they only had one major hit in the U.S. LaBelle was no longer a traditional female group. Still the Supremes had more Top 40 hits in the 70s than any other female group recording during that decade.

Very true and they continued to be all over television...Soul Train,Mike Douglas, Merv, Dinah...no other female group except maybe LaBelle [[from 1974-75) had such a high profile. They just needed a smash.

It doesn't get much hotter than this!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaTEG_138g

Very true and they continued to be all over television...Soul Train,Mike Douglas, Merv, Dinah...no other female group except maybe LaBelle [[from 1974-75) had such a high profile. They just needed a smash.
    They were on television a lot because they were the most well known. Remember they were the biggest group in American history. Their performance abilities had not diminished, in fact they appeared more energetic on stage than in the sixties.

Exactly . Just look at video above. They were never better.

Exactly . Just look at video above. They were never better.
    Better than they were with Diana Ross all in the way! hehehehehehe........

I can see the focus was more on Scherrie as the questions were more directed to her. The magic and dream was gone but they did look good. Scherrie could have given The Honey Cone a run for their money but they were just about done at this time and Labelle was HOT !!!!
    I was glad to see Cindy answered a couple of questions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I can see the focus was more on Scherrie as the questions were more directed to her. The magic and dream was gone but they did look good. Scherrie could have given The Honey Cone a run for their money but they were just about done at this time and Labelle was HOT !!!!
    I was glad to see Cindy answered a couple of questions as well.
    Scherrie was the new member on that show, they wanted to get to know her. Mary was being modest, the Supremes was her group by that point. Did you noticed she introduced herself as "Mary Wilson-Ferrer"? Of course you did......

Better than they were with Diana Ross all in the way! hehehehehehe........
    And with a very similar rate of success!! hehehehehe..........

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    And with a very similar rate of success!! hehehehehe..........

I enjoyed them a lot more without her hogging up the screen and the mic. The group would have died had she not left. I understand they did felt that way as well.

I enjoyed them a lot more without her hogging up the screen and the mic. The group would have died had she not left. I understand they did felt that way as well.
    But Diane Ross gives you so much daily pleasure I maen to post about her every single day.

"hogging up the screen and mic"
    Hehehe, LOL
    Marv, do you like any Supremes songs with Diana on lead?

People rarely point out that after Flo left they began to slide. And with HDH gone. They needed to change. Their new energy with Scherrie , and Mary taking over.. just look at her charisma and beautyand talent on He's My Man. Made for a great change, as well as the return of Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    "hogging up the screen and mic"
    Hehehe, LOL
    Marv, do you like any Supremes songs with Diana on lead?
    I loved "Come See About Me" and several others.

I loved "Come See About Me" and several others.
    Nice. My fave is probably "You Keep Me Hangin' On", and then "You Cant Hurry Love". But I love "Stoned Love" just as much. "Bad Weather" is up there too. It's all gooood!!!

People rarely point out that after Flo left they began to slide. And with HDH gone. They needed to change. Their new energy with Scherrie , and Mary taking over.. just look at her charisma and beautyand talent on He's My Man. Made for a great change, as well as the return of Cindy.
    All three of them seemed happy on stage for a change. All three of them even had the freedom and opportunity to talk. They were not allowed to do that when Ross was in the group. Scherrie is a Soul singer with a much stronger voice than Diana Ross. Mary Wilson has that smooth sexy alto that fits nicely in pop, soul, jazz, rock and ballads. All three of them were beautiful and pleasure to watch which was not always the case when Diane was in the group.

Nice. My fave is probably "You Keep Me Hangin' On", and then "You Cant Hurry Love". But I love "Stoned Love" just as much. "Bad Weather" is up there too. It's all gooood!!!
    But I liked the Supremes infinitely better without Diana Ross. I liked it when their sound matured and they stopped releasing bubble gum type music.

But I liked the Supremes infinitely better without Diana Ross. I liked it when their sound matured and they stopped releasing bubble gum type music.
    Yea. I'm not the biggest fan of Diana's voice but I do love "Baby Love" and "Where Did Our Love Go". What about "Love Child" and "Forever Came Today" though - I wouldn't say they were bubblegummy?

All line ups of the Supremes made some great songs with varying degrees of success. Your choices are amongst my favourites too.

Yea. I'm not the biggest fan of Diana's voice but I do love "Baby Love" and "Where Did Our Love Go". What about "Love Child" and "Forever Came Today" though - I wouldn't say they were bubblegummy?
    Yeah but I was like a young kid and those songs were played on the radio all the time. They appealed to children and teenagers, the sound. Some didn't like it, but I liked the fact that they used various producers on the Supremes 1975 album. It keep things interesting in my opinion.

I think Touch is a massive track.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I think Touch is a massive track.
    It was a very sexy song. It was mature, soulful and something you would not expect coming from the Supremes.

They were on television a lot because they were the most well known. Remember they were the biggest group in American history. Their performance abilities had not diminished, in fact they appeared more energetic on stage than in the sixties.
    WJR in Detroit played the 75Album and specifically mentioned Mary Wilson as lead singer on You Turn Me Around. I just realized that the album charted at 25 on the R&B chart.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 10-20-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    WJR in Detroit played the 75Album and specifically mentioned Mary Wilson as lead singer on You Turn Me Around. I just realized that the album charted at 25 on the R&B chart.
    Yes, I do remember WJR playing "You Turn Me Around". I remember WOHO in Toledo playing it too. WKLR played "He's My Man" a few times and after Florence passed they played "Where Do I Go From Here" as part of a musical tribute to her.

From the "Sammy & Company Show" aired in January 1976:

Touch is one of my top 5 Supremes tracks of all time !

Touch is one of my top 5 Supremes tracks of all time !
    You have great taste! From the dramatic intro to first hearing Mary sing "Darling just relax, you melt me like hot candle wax" . I am imaging my Dad looking at me like "What do you know about that?" LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-20-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Lol! Thanks!

There will never be another group like DMF or DMC with Diana as lead. Even Mary would not do a reunion with the 70's girls. I loved and followed all the girls but honestly the girls kept looking for a lead singer to give them a Supreme image again and Mary was not it.

As Mary says she is not the lead singer and she knew she would not be able to carry that torch. Scherrie was hired for her pipes and Early Morning Love was a song suited better for Scherrie. I usually moved pass it on that album.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    There will never be another group like DMF or DMC with Diana as lead. Even Mary would not do a reunion with the 70's girls. I loved and followed all the girls but honestly the girls kept looking for a lead singer to give them a Supreme image again and Mary was not it.

As Mary says she is not the lead singer and she knew she would not be able to carry that torch. Scherrie was hired for her pipes and Early Morning Love was a song suited better for Scherrie. I usually moved pass it on that album.
    Well this ain't about DMF, DMC or Run DMC! This is about Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong and Scherrie and their recording of "Early Morning Love" . The producers felt Mary was best for the lead on this song, so what you are suggesting is just wishful thinking that is about 40 years too late.

It doesn't matter whether you like it or not or concede that Mary Wilson was one of the Supremes lead singers. [[I believe more leads in total than Scherrie Payne.) She is an excellent singer and doing more business today than any former Supreme or most female singers that started out in the early 60s.

I have to give Mary Wilson her props because I am honest.

gba Guest
    She is just beyond awesome in this recording [[Touch) - when I saw her several years ago here I was hoping that she would sing this. She definitely needs to include it in her act - the crowd would go crazy

Quote Originally Posted by gba View Post
    She is just beyond awesome in this recording [[Touch) - when I saw her several years ago here I was hoping that she would sing this. She definitely needs to include it in her act - the crowd would go crazy
    I have seen Mary perform Nathan! Owie! I bet Touch would be fantastic.

The change by the time of Touch was to all flops

you wrote : Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

and I will quote you: Its not about Diana Ross ----
    Please practice what you say.

I agree Rob ....

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The change by the time of Touch was to all flops