[REMOVE ADS]

Steve Mancha passes

Melvin Davis just rang to tell me that Steve Mancha, given name Clyde Wilson, died at 4.08 pm yesterday 8th Jan.

He had been in poor health for a long time and though Melvin mourns his passing, he described it as a blessed release.

Our thoughts go out to his family and friends

Oh no!

Thoughts go for family and friends.

Thanks for letting the site know Ady

Tremendous talent and a tremendous loss. RIP, Steve, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

I can't believe that the passing of a Detroit legend barely gets a mention on a forum designed to celebrate people like Steve Mancha.

Such as sad loss but as Melvin says probably a blessing as he is no longer suffering. My sincerest condolences and sympathies to Clyde's family and friends.

R.I.P Steve! this man was really an unsung music legend.

I know how you feel Chalky, as last year I started a post asking how Steve was after I heard he was unwell & don't think I got a single reply.
    Very sad that he's gone now, but he will be in peace now.
    ATB, Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    I can't believe that the passing of a Detroit legend barely gets a mention on a forum designed to celebrate people like Steve Mancha.

Such as sad loss but as Melvin says probably a blessing as he is no longer suffering. My sincerest condolences and sympathies to Clyde's family and friends.

Rest in peace.

Wow , what a tremendous loss! I just saw someone post an RIP to him on my FB page. He had a great voice...I loved that cut KEEP THE FAITH...RIP Steve Mancha...

pshark Guest
    Sorry to hear about this. He was lead singer and co writer w/ G Clinton & Ruth Copeland of this Parliament jam below

Sorry to hear about this.
    Steph

RIP Steve; thanks for the music

For some bizarre reason people on here seem more concerned with Taylor Swift and Rihanna than the true legends.

Sweet Baby Don't Ever be Untrue [[Keep the Faith) is my most played song on my library. For the past five years, I keep my entire collection on my computer, and randomly play tracks. I skip those I don't want to hear. Its a spontaneous order. Steve Mancha has lots of tracks in my top 100, and has had the top spot for the past couple of years. I will never tire of that song. His songs grow on you. When I first heard his stuff it did not have an immediate impact. I've converted my wife as well- we usually don't like heartbrake songs, but Mancha has a special place in our story.

All I can say is thanks. His legacy is there, we could really do with an authorised release [[apart from that Stax album, which doesn't sound right to me and I won't count Groovesville as 'official'.)

Please Ace/Kent. You got the Satintones, so even though Motown owns this stuff it might be in the realms of possibility.

Mancha = Legend.

Boywonder ..

By the "Stax L.P." do you mean the Volt "Rare Stamps" L.P. with some tracks by Steve and some by JJ Barnes? If so then Ace issued it on CD as a "toofer" with "Here To Stay" by DARRELL BANKS back in the '90s, As "Don Davis Presents the Sound of Detroit" CDSXD 061.

So, your idea of them doing a STEVE MANCHA collection CD seems quite possible, however to be complete it would need to include his material with 100 PROOF AGED IN SOUL for HDH's Hot-Wax label. I'm sure Ady will know the practicalities of such a venture.

This is the "B" side of his biggest selling 45 [[ "Somebody's Been Sleeping" with 100 PROOF ) ..

Its the wistful "I've Come to Save You" written by Steve under his original name of Clyde Wilson .. seems appropriate for the circumstances of this thread ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXxtO-X_Ng

RIP STEVE MANCHA

Roger

Another legend gone,great singer always reminded me of marvin and his[i need to be needed]is a killer[it should have been released on it's own]...r.i.p.

Roger - yeah, I already have that Sound of Detroit CD, but some of the songs sound different from the tracks on the Groovesville Review releases I have. It was released on Stax after Davis went there to do his Johnnie Taylor Detroit inspired stuff, but I believe the Rare Stamps songs were recorded at Golden World.

Since Edsel has released the complete 100 Proof, it could just be the music that was on Goldmine's Groovesville Cd, as well as any possible tracks at Motown. But obviously with the sound quality that these records deserve.

Anyway, I think the really important issue is to send our thoughts with his family and friends. A special talent; the only singer I know whose version of a song that I prefer over David Ruffin's [[Still in My Heart.) That says it all.

I'm surprised dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia page unless it's under his real name.

pshark Guest
    Midnight, Wikipedia needs to fix this up:
    This disc of "She's Not Just Another Woman", supposedly written by C. Wilson and Ronald Dunbar [[who were pseudonyms for HDM)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_Day

RIP to a vastly underrated, overlooked soul singer. Thank you for the great music, sir.

I was about 9 & just moving to my present location when Steve & the fellas were absolutely burning up WWRL & WNJR with that initial smash. I loved it then, these many years later, I love it still. As Roger points out, 'I've Come To Save You' was GREAT!

It would seem to me that he would've been a much bigger star, but, the music industry can often be such a strange place. I send my sincere condolences to his family, friends & fans.

Steve Mancha - R.I.P.

R.I.P. Steve. I remember you. Thanks for those jams man!

My belated condolences to his family. Not only a great singer but a wonderful, gentle man who was humble about his tremendous talent.

Graham