[REMOVE ADS]

Where's the miracles movie?

With all the films about groups that have and are being made,i would love to see one about the miracles[with smokey's permission of course]is there anything in the air about such a project?

It's amazing how I feel we know less about the Miracles than the other groups. I imagine they rather for it not to be told? But between Smokey & Claudette, Bobby [[and his marriage/divorce to Wanda) and 'em, there should be enough for a story there. They were our Beatles in terms of them being self-contained and writing their own music.

Maybe because they were relatively less successful than The Temptations or The Supremes, and didn't have 'characters' like Eddie and David [[whose tragic deaths The Tempts' film also centred on).

Believe it or not,i'm not talking about drama in the group,just the creative stuff like how smokey came up with his songs and his work with berry and the other artist he wrote for,of course that won't sell because everyone wants to see drama and i know that drama is what sells,but for once let's see some artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Believe it or not,i'm not talking about drama in the group,just the creative stuff like how smokey came up with his songs and his work with berry and the other artist he wrote for,of course that won't sell because everyone wants to see drama and i know that drama is what sells,but for once let's see some artistry.
    Well said, arr&bee! Lol
    Smokey Robinson was so very talented, and hardworking. He deserves a film. You're right, though, a film about his 'artistry' won't sell.

I still don't understand how The Temptations' film got so many things quite clearly wrong [[Dennis Edwards' father dying on the wrong date, David Ruffin's death, Melvin Franklin's death) - and all just for added drama!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-15-2016 at 08:18 PM.

As many of you know,smokey wrote[i'll try something new-1962]on the back of a popcorn box at a baseball game.

I would love that. They were VERY creative but we know what "sells". If only the other classic Motown artists [[save for Marvin and Stevie of course; both of their talents were being realized more even during the '60s) were allowed to be more creative...

Of course the first scene would be a teenaged group named[the madadors]auditioning for jackie wilson's manager and a young berry gordy sitting in and off they go.

With all the films about groups that have and are being made,i would love to see one about the miracles[with smokey's permission of course]is there anything in the air about such a project?

They would make excellent subjects for a feature film. There is a LOT of interesting history surrounding the Miracles. There are also a lot of people still around that knew the individual members. The story of Smokey and Claudette alone would make for a stellar drama, but Pete, Bobby, Ronnie and Marv Tarplin also have compelling stories that have not been told.

Of course the first scene would be a teenaged group named[the madadors]auditioning for jackie wilson's manager and a young berry gordy sitting in and off they go.
    Hehe, now that would be good!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Well said, arr&bee! Lol
    Smokey Robinson was so very talented, and hardworking. He deserves a film. You're right, though, a film about his artistry won't sell.

I still don't understand how The Temptations' film got so many things quite clearly wrong [[Dennis Edwards' father dying on the wrong date, David Ruffin's death, Melvin Franklin's death) - and all just for added drama!
    Oh yes it would! Bob Dylan received the Nobel Prize for Literature this week. He proclaim Smokey as the greatest living American Poet and he did so at the height of his fame. If you include all the background story of his and the Miracles growing up in Detroit, the marriages, the affairs, battle with drugs and losing some of his closest friends like Ronnie White, you have one heck of a story. Actually it might be even more interesting than [[dare I say it?) The Temptations or the Jacksons!

Only if you keep ms dupasse far away!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yes it would! Bob Dylan received the Nobel Prize for Literature this week. He proclaim Smokey as the greatest living American Poet and he did so at the height of his fame. If you include all the background story of his and the Miracles growing up in Detroit, the marriages, the affairs, battle with drugs and losing some of his closest friends like Ronnie White, you have one heck of a story. Actually it might be even more interesting than [[dare I say it?) The Temptations or the Jacksons!
    Oh, yea, when you put it like that and, well, add in all the drama!

Say that again!!

Have to keep that person away. An independent production company would do a much better job.

I keep reading that Dylan saying Smokey was the greatest living poet in the U.S. was PR from Motown but IDK lol

But Smokey's songs are indeed very poetic... so there could be some truth to that saying. There's a Tumblr post going on about some of Dylan's influences not being recognized like he is [[including Little Richard and Odetta), which I agreed with.

All the original members seem like they have great stories to tell. Like the one where Bobby and Smokey mention being born in the same year, same day and same hospital but not being in the same neighborhood until they were in their late teens lmao

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I keep reading that Dylan saying Smokey was the greatest living poet in the U.S. was PR from Motown but IDK lol

But Smokey's songs are indeed very poetic... so there could be some truth to that saying. There's a Tumblr post going on about some of Dylan's influences not being recognized like he is [[including Little Richard and Odetta), which I agreed with.

All the original members seem like they have great stories to tell. Like the one where Bobby and Smokey mention being born in the same year, same day and same hospital but not being in the same neighborhood until they were in their late teens lmao
    You, you are right. My good friend and former SDF member Al Abrams came up with that statement and Bob Dylan delivered it in an interview that was video taped.

I remember as a kid going rolling skating and seeing Smokey and the Miracles there skating right along with us! LOL! I have other stories I can't tell without permission. I will say this, all of the Miracles including Smokey and Claudette were very down to Earth.

And let's not leave out Billy Griffin,he had the biggest hit with The Miracles, in The Miracles history of music,that Maga hit Love Machine,even Smokey as lead singer of The Miracles,never had a hit,as big as Love Machine,so Billy Griffin must be included.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    And let's not leave out Billy Griffin,he had the biggest hit with The Miracles, in The Miracles history of music,that Maga hit Love Machine,even Smokey as lead singer of The Miracles,never had a hit,as big as Love Machine,so Billy Griffin must be included.

If a movie on the Miracles was ever produce, they have to include the Billy Griffin character. If not, I will watch it and it could fail for not encompassing the totality of their character. Billy was a very important part of the Miracles history and success in the 70s.

You, you are right. My good friend and former SDF member Al Abrams came up with that statement and Bob Dylan delivered it in an interview that was video taped.

I remember as a kid going rolling skating and seeing Smokey and the Miracles there skating right along with us! LOL! I have other stories I can't tell without permission. I will say this, all of the Miracles including Smokey and Claudette were very down to Earth.
    Somehow I'm not shocked that Smoke and Claudette were the more laid back of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Somehow I'm not shocked that Smoke and Claudette were the more laid back of the group.
    They were like your next door neighbor or your uncle and aunt when
    I was a kid...a couple of the Miracles too! LOL! I just can't say everything, but they are good people.

I understand and that is quite a nice description of them...

I've heard that too,perhaps the most down to earth of all the motown groups.

Of all the possible film projects about Motown artists, this [[to me) has the most potential for a Motown fan. However, I suspect that it will not have sufficient general appeal. Shame really and I hope I am proved wrong.

Claudette recently sued Smokey. Not sure how it was settled.

I'm telling you. They were the type that would get together, go to a local shopping center and hand out toys to low income children during the holidays. The Dramatics did things like that too and Ron Banks had this major winter coat and shoe drive every year in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Claudette recently sued Smokey. Not sure how it was settled.
    I remember that from a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Of all the possible film projects about Motown artists, this [[to me) has the most potential for a Motown fan. However, I suspect that it will not have sufficient general appeal. Shame really and I hope I am proved wrong.
    I understand what you are saying. In order for it to have that type of broad base appeal they would have to rely heavily on the drama like the drug abuse Smokey experienced, the miscarriages, the affairs, the surrounding "criminal element", the inter-group squabbles, etc,etc.

They would have to tell their story with warts and all.

Heck they even played cards! "Bid Wiz" at that! LOL! You know what I am talking about.

In other words,they were human beings who didn'tlet thier[celebrity]go to thier heads.

In other words,they were human beings who didn'tlet thier[celebrity]go to thier heads.
    Drank the beer right out of the bottle......

I understand what you are saying. In order for it to have that type of broad base appeal they would have to rely heavily on the drama like the drug abuse Smokey experienced, the miscarriages, the affairs, the surrounding "criminal element", the inter-group squabbles, etc,etc.

They would have to tell their story with warts and all.
    You said it for me more directly....

lol

That's why if done it should be in the hands of-spike lee.

That's why if done it should be in the hands of-spike lee.
    Oh man, I would to see Spike Lee do another period piece like Malcolm X. I know he would want to film the Miracles story in Detroit vs what they did with the Temptations movie.
    I can see Spike recreating the 1950s Doo Wop scene in Detroit. Who would play
    Jackie Wilson? Howard Huntsberry did an excellent job years ago, but he is way out of the age range now.

This would be an awesome movie. I just worry whoever makes it that they will primarily focus most of the story on Smokey and Claudette.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    This would be an awesome movie. I just worry whoever makes it that they will primarily focus most of the story on Smokey and Claudette.
    I agree that the risk would be too much focus on them as a couple at the expense of the other group members.