[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes that's right. If Motown had promoted this song just a little, it would have no doubt seen some real chart action. Several months the Emotions and Columbia beat them to the punch with "Don't Ask My Neighbor" Another great song,but to me cannot compare to this one by the Supremes.
    Yes, especially since "Let Yourself Go" is also a BRILLIANT song! Complete disco floorfiller, surely would have been perfect for where music was going in the mid/late-'70s.

"I'm feeling good, I'm feeling loose...!"

No wonder it was so good of a song....the Holland Brothers wrote it. It is available on i-Tunes and Amazon MP3.

Soft and warm is your gentle touch
    When you give the love that I need so much
    You are the dream that came to life
    An answered prayer that I say tonight

You are the heart of me, the very life of me
    You're everything to me that a love could ever be
    You are my everything, my everything

Where you are is where I wanna be
    Close to you for all eternity
    You're the summer sun on a winter's day
    You're the starry night over moonlight's bay

You are the heart of me, the very life of me
    You are my everything, oh, the very life of me

You are the heart of me, oh, the very life of me
    You are my everything, oh, the very life of me

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh, everything
    You are everything [[you're the one)
    Everything [[you're the heart of me)
    Everything [[you're the one, whoo)
    Everything [[you're the heart of me)
    You're everything [[you're the one)
    Ah [[you're the heart of me)
    You're the heart of me [[you're the one)
    You are my life [[you're the heart of me)
    You're my heart [[you're the one)
    You are the [[you're the one, ah-ah)
    Everything [[you're the one)
    Everything [[ooh baby) everything
    [[you're the heart of me)
    Ooh, baby [[you're the one)
    Oh, oh [[you're the heart of me)
    [[You're the one) baby, baby

Songwriters: EDWARD HOLLAND, EDWARD, JR. HOLLAND, MIKE SMITH
    © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group
    For non-commercial use only.
    Data From: LyricFind

Now I'm wondering if Mary would consider singing it in her current act. hmmmmm...........

No wonder it was so good of a song....the Holland Brothers wrote it.
    Oh yea, the Holland Bros.
    When did they actually come back to Motown? And what happened to Lamont Dozier? LOL

I didn't really care for "Let Yourself Go" when I heard it on the album Christmas 1976. I liked it slightly better once I saw the performance clips later on. Since we can never go back to the Disco days of the 70s, it does not matter. Now, "You Are the Heart of Me" is timeless and very listenable today for a mature audience. There is no real love music being made today by younger artists. I don't listen to them so really don't know, but I have a pretty good idea that they don't make make out music today. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh yea, the Holland Bros.
    When did they actually come back to Motown? And what happened to Lamont Dozier? LOL
    The Hollands returned to produce the Supremes in the mid 70s. They produced High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Nothing happened to Lamont Dozier. He was signed to Warner Bros. as an artist and he had some really great records out in the 70s as a vocalist.

The Hollands returned to produce the Supremes in the mid 70s. They produced High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye. Nothing happened to Lamont Dozier. He was signed to Warner Bros. as an artist and he had some really great records out in the 70s as a vocalist.
    Thank you, Marv! Oh, and I meant more "what did Lamont Dozier do?" rather than "did something happen to Lamont Dozier?" LOL! I think I read somewhere that he wrote and recorded the original version of "Going Back To My Roots", made a huge UK hit by disco group Odyssey.

"You Are the Heart of Me" caught the attention of Hip Hop artists 14Kt. They sampled it or rather Mary's "sounds" for their 2009 CD "Nowalataz" / Check it out:

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thank you, Marv! Oh, and I meant more "what did Lamont Dozier do?" rather than "did something happen to Lamont Dozier?" LOL! I think I read somewhere that he wrote and recorded the original version of "Going Back To My Roots", made a huge UK hit by disco group Odyssey.
    Oh he had much bigger records than that in America. His "Trying to Hold On to My Woman" seems like it was number one for weeks around Christmas '73 and then that Spring of '74 he had a huge hit with "Fish Ain't Bitin' ".
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.

gba Guest
    I agree - her vocals in this is stunning - I wish she would include songs like this in her current act. And who cares who slept with who back in the day - none of them were innocent. They just gave us beautiful music to enjoy.

gba Guest
    My comment was about someone bringing up Diana sleeping with boss. What did that have to do with this thread?
    Last edited by gba; 10-16-2016 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    No one in Marvin's camp knew of this is why I was curious.
    Clearly you know Marvin was his own boss... he did things on his own whim. I would not be surprised. No one brings up the historical fact Marvin co-produced [[and sang background on) Yvonne Fair's version of "Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On" from The B*tch is Back when Yvonne was Motown's version of Betty Davis...

Dionne did this song before the Supremes three years earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    This was a waste of time, the song just didn't sell.
    At this point, Motown was through with them... it's no surprise really. That said, it's a decent quiet storm number for the group as they reached the autumn of their legendary career.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    At this point, Motown was through with them... it's no surprise really. That said, it's a decent quiet storm number for the group as they reached the autumn of their legendary career.
    Motown made a mistake!

^ You mean "mistakes", right? Because it wasn't just the Supremes they managed to screw up during the '70s...

Yikes. Mary's version is so much better. Comparison helps to show the depth and power of Mary's voice. Of course I love Dionne but it's a terrible arrangement with the music and backgrounds overpowering her weak vocal. Much too MOR

Quote Originally Posted by gba View Post
    My comment was about someone bringing up Diana sleeping with boss. What did that have to do with this thread?
    Nothing at all!! It was brought up by the very person you would expect it to be brought up by but when i discreetly brought up the fact that another member of the group had more experiences of sleeping with married men he suddenly realised he had scored an own goal. I could have said much more but decided not to. Oh the irony..........

I understand why there are still issues with Diana and the other Supremes.

In Joel Whitburns book, it says that if you combine Diana's hits with the hits she had with the Supremes, she ranks within the Top 5 Artists of all time.

When you are in such a position, even 50 years later, all this "chat" matters.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yikes. Mary's version is so much better. Comparison helps to show the depth and power of Mary's voice. Of course I love Dionne but it's a terrible arrangement with the music and backgrounds overpowering her weak vocal. Much too MOR
    You know, Luke, I feel exactly the same way about "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary's interpretation and arrangement are magnificent...Dionne's, not so much. And I live and BREATHE Dionne Warwick.
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-17-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Yeah. It actually shows how better the Supremes' version is. Better production. That's one reason I prefer Aretha's "I Say a Little Prayer" over Dionne's lol

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You know, Luke, I feel exactly the same way about "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You." Mary's interpretation and arrangement are magnificent...Dionne's, not so much. And I live and BREATHE Dionne Warwick.
    I agree entirely. Despite Dionne having by far the superior voice The Supremes versions are without doubt the better versions. The production and arrangements are stunning, and Mary never looked or sounded better during this period.

I totally love Aretha's version of I Say
    a little prayer. She makes it like another song. One of the few songs she doesn't steal is Oh Me Oh My Im a fool for you baby. I think Lulu owns that song!

^ You mean "mistakes", right? Because it wasn't just the Supremes they managed to screw up during the '70s...
    Yeah but they thought of re-grouping the Supremes just 5 years later in 1982. Those women could sing ,they gorgeous and they were well known at the time. They just needed a bit of company push and investment. I don't know if it is cheaper to find, groom and produce new acts and build up there names than it is to maintain your establish acts at the highest level.

Mary knocked that out of the park! Her delivery was perfect. Scherrie and Susaye's backing support was superb.

Love Dionne completely, but "You Are the Heart of Me" is Mary's song! I liked "I Don't Want to Lose You" equally done by the Supremes and the Spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Exactly! It's like no one in the World can sing songs like "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and "The Theme from the Valley of the Dolls" like Dionne Warwick. No one! But the couple of songs we are mentioning here, Mary Wilson just does a better job of delivering and connecting with the listener.

No, you're right and I will acknowledge that. Motown did screw up during the 70s after they had moved to L.A. Can you image how big and influential Motown would still be if they had invested in all of their acts? They had gifts from God sitting right there under their roof!

Yeah but they thought of re-grouping the Supremes just 5 years later in 1982. Those women could sing ,they gorgeous and they were well known at the time. They just needed a bit of company push and investment. I don't know if it is cheaper to find, groom and produce new acts and build up there names than it is to maintain your establish acts at the highest level.
    The most frustrating thing for me about the breakup was that all three women could sing lead. No studio trickery needed for them. Unlike so many of the girl groups of today, individually they all had instantly identifiable voices which gave them an edge. The only down side being that their choreography was a little over the top at times.
    It really is such a great shame the group was never re-formed in 82. Their last two albums were strong affairs and showed there was still much potential to be had. Ah well.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-18-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Was that De Passe idea? MCS or MSS? MSS is fav grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Was that De Passe idea? MCS or MSS? MSS is fav grouping.
    I believe it was hers because of the successful Temptations reunion.