[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supremes - You Are The Heart Of Me

I feel sure this must have been posted before, but it's the first time I've seen [[or heard it).

My favorite Supremes song. Thank you.

More than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    More than welcome.
    Mary never sounded better than she did on this beautiful song
    My favourite song from the MSS era.

She does sound good!

It's so ironic that their last song, was my favorite of all.

Great song and you can understand the words, unlike some of the songs today.

GT03uk
    http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/motown365/index

This was my favorite performance of the song. Their last television appearance in America before Mary went solo:

Not one of my favorites - Motown should have let Scherrie and Susaye utilize their writing talents further with the group. The song just laid there with nothing to grab on to or make you want to hear it again.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Not one of my favorites - Motown should have let Scherrie and Susaye utilize their writing talents further with the group. The song just laid there with nothing to grab on to or make you want to hear it again.
    It is a beautiful love song sung by a beautiful woman. That gets me every time! It was the most played cut from that album ..........at my house!

Also a bit ironic that the last song of the Supremes, "You Are the Heart of Me" had a similar title to one of their earliest songs, "Your Heart Belongs to Me".

Mary is simply stunning here. They should've shown Scherrie and Susayes faces though

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary is simply stunning here. They should've shown Scherrie and Susayes faces though

I think that was just a staging decision The Mike Douglas Show made. Check this out:

This was a waste of time, the song just didn't sell.

This was a waste of time, the song just didn't sell.
    Well they didn't sleep with the boss................Oh well. I love this song.

I remember seeing them in Detroit with my cousin at the time. I have said it many times that something just didn't fit with the group. Scherrie was just so pretty and Susaye was multi-talented but, there was just something not right.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well they didn't sleep with the boss................Oh well. I love this song.
    I could say something here about sleeping around with married men but I shall refrain. People in glass houses...........

I remember seeing them in Detroit with my cousin at the time. I have said it many times that something just didn't fit with the group. Scherrie was just so pretty and Susaye was multi-talented but, there was just something not right.
    Agreed. I loved the music they made together but visually it did not look right. They were three individuals rather than a group, but credit where credit is due. Mary killed this song.

As much as I love Mary I lost some respect for her during this time with the Supremes. She was doing the same exact stunts that she complained Diana pulled. On this Mike Douglas appearance during the interview segment he mentions he heard a rumor about Mary going solo and it's quite cringeworthy especially with Scherrie and Susaye standing right there!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    As much as I love Mary I lost some respect for her during this time with the Supremes. She was doing the same exact stunts that she complained Diana pulled. On this Mike Douglas appearance during the interview segment he mentions he heard a rumor about Mary going solo and it's quite cringeworthy especially with Scherrie and Susaye standing right there!
    They knew about it because we all knew about it. We knew that they were going to appear on the program before it aired. Mary and Cindy had to read it in the papers first that Diana Ross was going solo.

In regards to the staging for that last appearance. That was all the Mike Douglas' shows idea. Mary had been appearing on his show for years starting with the Original Supremes.

So true
    With Diana even Flo knew that Diana was being groomed for solo. Go Figure !!!

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post

Thanks for posting this, mysterysinger. I think the 1977 Soul Train performance is a prime example of the group's potential. The choreography is cohesive, and each woman has her chance to shine. It would have been interesting if they had sung live to a backing track like JML did in '73.

What did Mary say about the going solo "rumor"?

What did Mary say about the going solo "rumor"?
    She said [[on the Mike Douglas Show March, 1977) that she was recording a solo album and just learned that Marvin Gaye would be producing. As far as permanently going solo, she said let's just see what God had in store for her. Meaning that he had been discussed but nothing had been formalized at that point.

Now everyone else can throw in whatever they want. I am just telling you the facts as I remember them from back in the day.

Thanks. Did Scherrie and Susaye react? I wondered if Mary initially considered doing the solo project and staying in the group?

Thanks. Did Scherrie and Susaye react? I wondered if Mary initially considered doing the solo project and staying in the group?
    They smiled and Susaye commented "We all have aspirations for solo careers....etc." She went on to say that it was inevitable.

Can't you just hear a duet with Mary and Marvin doing Sexual Healing?? ...hot stuff!!

Naw Marvin did good by himself.

Can't you just hear a duet with Mary and Marvin doing Sexual Healing?? ...hot stuff!!

Here is the interview

Oh goodness no. That song was not a duet materail.

Thx for interview. They both have such sexy voices!

I think they may have........in private LOL! No, no not going to start any rumors but in "Divided Soul" the biography of Marvin Gaye by David Ritz he shares that Mary did go to visit Marvin while he was living in Belgium. One night as they lie on I think a bearskin rug he played the unfinished track of "Sexual Healing" for her. She told him that it was a for sure hit. I would have loved to have heard a duet between Mary Wilson and Marvin Gaye.

Here is the interview
    Great, thanks. It was getting hard to remember what was exactly said 39 years ago.

Ok so I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did Marvin Gaye ever produce anything for Mary ?

As far as I know no,though he had wanted to. I think Marvin was struggling a lot at this time in his life.

The supremes version of this song was way better than the original !

As far as I know no,though he had wanted to. I think Marvin was struggling a lot at this time in his life.

That's correct. He was also trying finish up his own album "Live At the Palladium" which gave us [[and Pharrell and Robin Thicke LOL!) "I Got to Give It Up".

Ok so I have to ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,Did Marvin Gaye ever produce anything for Mary ?
    A big fat resounding NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    A big fat resounding NO!!!
    Mary has a tendency to embelish things. Harmless but truth stretched just the same.

No one in Marvin's camp knew of this is why I was curious.

Fortunately, many people are discovering this great song for the first time thanks to Youtube. Thank God!

I agree harmless but, I always have to wonder .......Whats the point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Mary has a tendency to embelish things. Harmless but truth stretched just the same.

Everybody that was part of something worthy generally wants to play up their role, especially when they were a smaller, less known part - this is why you generally don't have Berry Diana Smokey and Stevie playing up their part. Lots of times, the lesser players have to play up those bits and ask for remuneration for their memories because - well, you've all heard the stories. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Everybody that was part of something worthy generally wants to play up their role, especially when they were a smaller, less known part - this is why you generally don't have Berry Diana Smokey and Stevie playing up their part. Lots of times, the lesser players have to play up those bits and ask for remuneration for their memories because - well, you've all heard the stories. Sad but true.
    Huh?????????????????????????

No one in Marvin's camp knew of this is why I was curious.

No one in Marvin's "camp" may not have been aware of it, but he sure was! He was one of Pedro Ferrer's buddies and it was he that approached Marvin with the idea. They hung out a lot in those days. Really it is very old news and I am not getting paid to keep correcting you. LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-16-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Every artist has projects that are announced and never materialize. Old entertainment magazines are full of these projects. Some get scrapped in the planning stages and some are place holders so the artist has something to talk about while making publicity appearances. I would have loved to hear what Marvin might have done with Mary. It's too bad the project never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Every artist has projects that are announced and never materialize. Old entertainment magazines are full of these projects. Some get scrapped in the planning stages and some are place holders so the artist has something to talk about while making publicity appearances. I would have loved to hear what Marvin might have done with Mary. It's too bad the project never happened.
    You are right thommg. Marvin producing Mary was actually carried by entertainment magazines. As I remember now, 1977-78 was the time Mary was involved in litigation with Motown. She also went on tour in Europe with Karen Jackson and Kaaren Ragland. A lot was going on at that time as I recall now.

This was their last charted Billboard single, right?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This was their last charted Billboard single, right?
    Ya, as the B-Side to "Let Yourself Go". Made #83 on the US R&B Charts.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ya, as the B-Side to "Let Yourself Go". Made #83 on the US R&B Charts.
    Yes that's right. If Motown had promoted this song just a little, it would have no doubt seen some real chart action. Several months the Emotions and Columbia beat them to the punch with "Don't Ask My Neighbor" Another great song,but to me cannot compare to this one by the Supremes.