[REMOVE ADS]

Happy 40th Birthday to Stevie Wonder's "Songs In the Key of Life"!

Stevie's monumental album, "Songs In the Key of Life" was released 40 years ago today......September 28, 1976. Happy Birthday!!!!

What a masterpiece

I first heard "I Wish" in January of 1977. The minute I heard it, I rushed out to buy the 45. At the time, the album was so popular that it was hard to find a copy, and I remember Motown had to go into overdrive to get copies out. Maybe they didn't think it was going to be such a huge seller because it was a double+ album. I don't know. But, two months later, by friend bought the album and let me borrow it so I could tape it. I was still a bit more into singles at the time, and figured I could get more of the music I liked by buying various 45s. I'm glad I did.

Several months later, my sister bought the album on 8-track, and I still bought the singles from the album. I'm not sure about exactly when I finally bought the vinyl version or the CD in the 80s. But, I can tell you that I was deeply disappointed in the remaster in 2000. They are horrible because they spiked the treble to the point where you can hear the tape hiss and erratic fades, partly due to the added compression. I'm glad Audio Fidelity decided to remedy the problem by releasing the gold CD versions of all of his classic 70s albums, and Motown subsequently issued the excellent hi-rez versions.

I am happy that I have the 45s from the album because I also have the edited version of "Another Star". I used it as the guide to recreate it digitally.

Oh yeah, the music. I was never too impressed with the album's opener "Love's In Need Of Love Today", but the rest of that first side is phenomenal! "Village Ghetto Land" blew me away, and the song I played off that first side the most was "Contusion". Side two is perfect, though I never cared for "Pastime Paradise".

I never cared for "isn't She Lovely". OK, throw flames now, but I just never liked it that much. I was never a fan of "Joy Inside My Tears" because it achingly drags on and on verrrryyy slowwwwlyyyyy. "Black Man" is just too damn long!

Side four is much better! "Another Star" is the centerpiece of the album, IMO. I love songs with tons of instrumentation in them.

I never cared too much for the EP, but "Ebony Eyes" is a feel-good pop tune, and and "All Day Sucker" goes back to the funk he was famous for in 1972.

As much as I love this album, I usually pick "Talking Book" or "Innervisions" to listen to.

My mother bought it around November of 1976 and it became the music of the household. LOL!

Incredible album! Classic Motown are featuring Songs In The Key of Life as their Album of the Month too:

http://classic.motown.com/story/song...stevie-wonder/

What's your favourite track? It's a tough decision...

I had several "favorite" tracks:

"As"
    "Isn't She Lovely"
    "Love's in Need of Love Today"
    "Sir Duke"
    "Joy Inside My Tears"
    "Knocks Me Off My Feet"
    "I Wish"

One the bonus 45 single, my favorite was :

"Easy Goin' Evening [[My Mama's Call)"

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsville_Jazza View Post
    Incredible album! Classic Motown are featuring Songs In The Key of Life as their Album of the Month too:

http://classic.motown.com/story/song...stevie-wonder/

What's your favourite track? It's a tough decision...
    I would have to say "As." Magnificent.

I do agree that the Universal 2000 remaster contains way to much treble. Could someone advise as to what the very best remastered version is out there.
    Like quite a few others i adore this album. "If It's Magic" for me is the finest song ever written......As in of all time.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-28-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Much as i love the album i think i slightly prefer INNERVISIONS and TALKING BOOK, but we are talking all time world beating albums here. Stevie has probably more essential albums than any other artist with the possible exception of Marvin. We could debate this all night.

I-C-O-N-I-C.

And I agree with Bluebrock. Stevie & Marvin are the ultimate album kings.

Happy 40th to Stevie's classic Songs In The Key Of Life. Still my favorite LP by him. Here's a piece from Rolling Stone Magazine.com celebrating the album.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...f-life-w442279

Thanks Eddie. Check this out:

Thanks Marv; that clip was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Happy 40th to Stevie's classic Songs In The Key Of Life. Still my favorite LP by him. Here's a piece from Rolling Stone Magazine.com celebrating the album.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...f-life-w442279
    Great piece! Much obliged.

Nice that he became a cartoon on the PBS site. Nice 2005 interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks Marv; that clip was cool.
    You are most welcome Motown Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I do agree that the Universal 2000 remaster contains way to much treble. Could someone advise as to what the very best remastered version is out there.
    Like quite a few others i adore this album. "If It's Magic" for me is the finest song ever written......As in of all time.
    I already posted that either the Audio Fidelity gold CDs, or the hi-rez and redbook albums from HD Tracks, 7-Digital, and Pono, sound the best.

My favorite songs from the album are:

Village Ghetto Land
    Contusion
    Sir Duke
    I Wish
    Knocks Me Off My Feet
    Summer Soft
    Ordinary Pain
    As
    Another Star
    All Day Sucker
    Ebony Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I already posted that either the Audio Fidelity gold CDs, or the hi-rez and redbook albums from HD Tracks, 7-Digital, and Pono, sound the best.
    Many thanks soulster.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-30-2016 at 12:08 PM.

I didn't get the full majesty of SITKOL until I saw Stevie perform it live at the L.A. Forum in December 2014. Jaw-dropping. "Another Star" has long been my favorite Stevie track but now I listen to the whole collection often.