[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Supremes Go GO

Supremes Go GO

wit the forth coming deluxe edition, I was curious what you all thought of the original album. I always thought it was half baked, as some tracks really rock while other seem to laid back....I wouldn't even call them POP but more adult contemporary ..somewhat?? I like the idea of the album but its a mish mosh to me. I am sure the forth coming edition will correct all the flaws as I have the most faith in Andy and the gang. they have never let us down.
    that being said.... what is your favorite tracks from this album:
    Love is an itching in my heart
    shake me wake me
    put yourself in my place
    you cant hurry love
    this old heart of mine
    and Get Ready is good as well,
    your turn....your top 5

To me it always sounded like a 'quickie' put-together. Other than the two hits...can't say I like much of it.

I've always loved this album.

For our Halloween party, my kindergarten teacher brought it in and I became obsessed with it. I would look at the photo of it on those old Motown inner sleeves and wish I had it. But it seemed like I never could get a copy. I never saw it in a store until Motown reissued it in 1981. When I finally did get it, I loved it. My faves are LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART, YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, SHAKE ME,WAKE ME, BABY, I NEED YOUR LOVING, I CAN'T HELP MYSELF, and PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE.
    Last edited by reese; 09-27-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    For our Halloween party, my kindergarten teacher brought it in and I became obsessed with it. I would like at the photo of it on those old Motown inner sleeves and wish I had it. But it seemed like I never could get a copy. I never saw it in a store until Motown reissued it in 1981. When I finally did get it, I loved it. My faves are LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART, YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, SHAKE ME,WAKE ME, BABY, I NEED YOUR LOVING, I CAN'T HELP MYSELF, and PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE.
    The original release was before my time, I purchased it in 1980 as I was building my Ross collection. It's never been a favorite of mine, as half of the songs are just okay IMO. I was shocked to discover it was one of the biggest sellers. I prefer the Supremes Sing HDH. I'm excited to hear the expanded edition and learn more about the recording and song selection process. My faves:

You Can't Hurry Love
    Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Put Yourself In My Place
    This Old Heart Of Mine

I was in Grade 10 when this came out and I remember having a friend travel from Ottawa, Canada, my hometown to Plattsburgh, N.Y. and bring me back a copy with the purple Motown label. I opened it at a party when he returned, and we all danced and LOVED every track. It must be judged at the time of it release. "These Boots Are Made For Walking," was the weakest track of the set, but I loved it all! Having an expanded edition with mono & stereo versions, with deleted tracks would make this be a landmark album for me, that took the ladies all the way to the top of the charts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I was in Grade 10 when this came out and I remember having a friend travel from Ottawa, Canada, my hometown to Plattsburgh, N.Y. and bring me back a copy with the purple Motown label. I opened it at a party when he returned, and we all danced and LOVED every track. It must be judged at the time of it release. "These Boots Are Made For Walking," was the weakest track of the set, but I loved it all! Having an expanded edition with mono & stereo versions, with deleted tracks would make this be a landmark album for me, that took the ladies all the way to the top of the charts!
    Plattsburgh, my last stop on my way to Montreal! LOL! Great memories Mark.

My top five would be you can't hurry love, love is like a niche in, shake me wake me, baby I need your love and put yourself in my place. I also like it's the same old song and get ready a lot. I'm OK on boots, and I love hang on Sloopy except for that one note for hang I don't care for I can't help myself at all, and I almost always program app come and get these memories. If they were going to give Mary a lead, I wish it would've been something she was strong on I think this is the worst vocal I've ever heard of hers. But I've always loved this album since the day it came out side one was so strong lots of houses play this at parties the holes the whole album. It's a shame that this is the second consecutive Supremes album with Mary and Florence missing from so many of the tracks which I believe were recorded in LA. And I think with Flo not on you can't hurry love, and it being such a huge huge hit, I think that's when she really started to go over the edge great album ! Is there a release date?

I was in junior high when this was new and yes, it must be listened to in the context of the times...people loved it and I still do, can't wait for the expanded edition..

I've learned, like with politics, not to care what other people think. A Go Go is just a blast to listen to. I can't pick a favorite since I love them all. In anticipation of the release, however, my top 5 are:
    1. Love is Like an Itching in my Heart
    2. Love is Like an Itching in my Heart Alternate Version #1
    3. Love is Like an Itching in my Heart Alternate Lyrics
    4. Love is Like an Itching in my Heart 2016 Mix
    5. Love is Like an Itching in my Heart [[Florence Ballard Lead)
    Last edited by thanxal; 09-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.

I've always loved A' Go-Go since its' release. A major Boston radio station was playing the entire album before it was in stores. [[They did the same for More Hits the previous summer.)

At this point in 1966 I had just completed my collection of Supremes albums, including Motortown Revue albums and the CSAM single which had a non-album track as the flip, which appeared on HDH 6 months later. So I was very excited to be adding another Supremes album to my collection.

At the time, I loved every song, even Boots and Sloopy. Of course I favored their two hits but my other favorites are:
    1. Get Ready
    2. Shake Me Wake Me
    3. This Old Heart Of Mine
    4. I Can't Help Myself
    5. Baby I Need Your Loving

I was never fond of Get Ready by The Temptations but The Supremes version helped me appreciate this song and now I love The Temptations version and it's the version I will play when I want to hear that song. As a matter of fact, while I love this album and enjoy listening to it, I certainly prefer the hits by the original artists. Possibly Get Ready or Shake Me Wake Me could have been hits by The Supremes if they were released by them instead of the Tempts or Tops, but none of the other covers on this album are as good or better than the original hit versions.

I enjoy this album for what it is - a fun teen-oriented album in 1966 featuring some of Motown's best songs sung by their top group. I think these covers are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I can't say that for many other Motown covers done by The Supremes. I did not like the Motown covers on HDH at all and have only come to begrudgingly tolerate them in recent years. Many of their Motown covers, with a couple of exceptions, released in the CD era, are just unlistenable to my ears.

I agree Mary should have had a different song. I always thought possibly Mary Wells' The One Who Really Loves You or The Velvelettes' Haystack or Sayin' Somethin' or a Marvelettes song like Too Many Fish or Remedy might have worked.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 09-27-2016 at 10:48 AM.

there are parts of this album I love and some I don't.

Cover - I think this is an amazing graphic. Since image was such a massive part of the Supremes' magic, I think they made an excellent selection here of pics and style. The huge banner-style headline of SUPREMES and A'GOGO just jump out at you. and the three groovy individual pics of the girls in street clothes dancing just seemed hip and cool. yes their sequin glamour was awesome but they were chic outside of their stagewear too

You Can't Hurry Love - this is my all-time fav Supremes song. I actually made a playlist collecting all of the versions, live and studio, to just drown myself in it lolol

Strong Tracks - Shake Me, Itching, This Old Heart of Mine were all really solid

tracks that were fine enough - Put yourself in my place, Come Get Memories,

ok track but they never really spark - Boots, MOney and Hang on Sloopy. This last one was borderline ok and blah IMO. Frankly the production and vocals on it just never really get off the ground. it's so straight and predictable that it lacks any fun or excitement.

blah tracks - I think the production of Get ready, Baby I need yor loving and I Can't help myself suffer from being too fast and sound like 1-take wonders. sort of like Bit Of Liverpool but without any of the fun. yes Liverpool was clearly raced through but at least the girls are laughing and having fun.

Supremes A Go Go has always been, and still is, my favorite Supremes album, just because I love all the songs and you can play it as a party album all way through. Coincidentally, my two favorite Supremes singles are on it as well: Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart and You Can't Hurry Love. The earlier Supremes albums are more Motown -- A Go Go is more pop, always get a London mod vibe from it -- and include some better songs, but this album is so much FUN! Can't wait for the expanded edition.