[REMOVE ADS]

Jean and..............................

I've read that on the 'Right On' LP, Mary and Cindy were not on all the cuts. Can anyone tell me the one's they're on? On some of the songs, the background sounds like too many voices for 2 singers? Were the Andante's on most of the songs?

I think that Mary and Cindy are on the cuts produced by Frank Wilson. It sounds as if the Andantes are on the remainder of the songs.

The story has been that Mary and Cindy recorded everything but 4 songs, but the more I think about it, it sounds like the andantes added on to Mary and Cindy's vocals. One thing that most on here seems to forget is Jean also sings background ad well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The story has been that Mary and Cindy recorded everything but 4 songs, but the more I think about it, it sounds like the andantes added on to Mary and Cindy's vocals. One thing that most on here seems to forget is Jean also sings background ad well.
    Could not say for sure, but i do know that Jean spent time alone in the studio in late 1969. Not sure what was recorded during that time though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I can clearly hear The Andantes on the following tracks: Then We Can Try Again, Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me, I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be The Only Girl In Your Life), and Take A Closer Look At Me. There also seem to be additional voices on Baby, Baby and The Loving Country, but that could be Jean's voice added for a fuller background, or merely a trick of my ear.

Those are the four songs in question. Both Mary and Jean saidJean did sing background along with Mary and Cindy. And of what was said the bulk of the 69 recordings were the unreleased material.

The loving country. You can clearly hear 2 sets of background vocals. Also you can hear Mary's ad-libs'

some people have said that it's the Andantes doing additional vocals on Loving and Ladder. I think it's layered vocals of MJC. the backing vocal sound on Then We Can Try It Again is radically different from Loving Country. IMO the various layers and lines of backing vocals in Loving Country sound like the same people. so my vote is that MJC are doing multi-layer vocals on that and Ladder.

frankly I think the same with some of Touch[[the song) but I do hear Andantes on it too. I think MJC did multi layers and the Andantes added even more layers to it. especially on the outro - at that point you have M, J and C each doing various ad lib lead lines, MJC doing various backing vocals and the Andantes doing various backing vocals.

I do agree that on some of the other tracks on Right On it sounds like MJC and the Andantes

Didn't Jean sing background on Up the Ladder? I could've sworn at the end of the chorus after Mary and Cindy sing their verses, some other voice joins along and sounds awfully like Jean and then Jean's lead is brought up. I thought that was kinda weird. That picture of Berry looking like he's glaring at Jean recording her first Supremes album speaks volumes to me.