[REMOVE ADS]

Susaye and the Supremes.

Come into my life on Soul Train. Nicely done. Was this being considered for a single release? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-go_ct...37HO8LGfyws%3D

One of my top 3 favorite Supremes tracks from any line up. Although obviously the Diane and Jean led groups had the top 10 hits, I think the Supremes' albums got better and better as they evolved and by the time the Scherrie-Mary-Susaye group was formed talent wise at least, I think they were at their best.

I love this song because to me it has an eerie, ethereal quality to it, and evoked a George Clinton/Parlet type vibe. I think it's unlike anything the Supremes ever did before. I always remember stating that once on this forum and speculating as to how Mary and Scherrie [[or so I thought) shared the lead...after which I was corrected most graciously by The Last Supreme, Susaye, who gently admonished me that it was "her and her" who shared the lead.

When I was lucky enough to meet Susaye at one of her concerts with Scherrie in LA, she said she remembered that exchange. What an elegant, lovely person she and Scherrie both are, and were, that night they performed so ably.

Very nice. They perform very elegantly here and have some of that supreme magic.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Come into my life on Soul Train. Nicely done. Was this being considered for a single release? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-go_ct...37HO8LGfyws%3D
    That could have been a single.

I don't think it was considered as a single according to the box set but I think there was a another song being considered Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good.
    great album ,great vocals. think I recall this was going to be their anthem or something to that

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I don't think it was considered as a single according to the box set but I think there was a another song being considered Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good.
    great album ,great vocals. think I recall this was going to be their anthem or something to that
    I know it was not a single. I was around at that time.

Motown 1064 : 'Love, I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good'/'This Is Why I Believe In You' was released here in the UK in March 1977...which I think made it the last official single release by The Supremes......

"We Should Be Closer Together" should have been a single. It's one of the best songs the Supremes ever recorded. That duet between Mary and Susaye is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "We Should Be Closer Together" should have been a single. It's one of the best songs the Supremes ever recorded. That duet between Mary and Susaye is gold.
    It definitely should have been a single. The Emotions released "Don't Ask My Neighbors" later that year , 1977 and it was a hit! "We Should Be Closer Together" was a better record, but hardly anyone got to hear it.

Though this is not my fave album by them, Berry liked it. I wonder after the fairly successful. High energy album it wasn't promoted more ?

Though this is not my fave album by them, Berry liked it. I wonder after the fairly successful. High energy album it wasn't promoted more ?

It wasn't promoted that well. Radio stations were not playing the single "Driving Wheel". I am going to frank, I think Suzanne DePasse and Motown kinda wanted them to fail for some reason.

Nice commentary! MSS is definitely a super group; my fav.

One of the reasons why it wasn't promoted according to my source from Motown was because everyone knew that the group were about to break up. Mary wanted out. Scherrie and Susaye wanted to continue but it would not have been right without Mary. I just wish Mary could have been replaced and the group re-named the New Supremes. With the right replacement both physically and talent wise that could have been a great line up.

1. Timing - MS&S was released in Oct 76. The Vegas-unidress disaster was in Dec when Mary, according to her book, decided to go solo and notified Motown.

Songs in the Key of Life was released in Sept 76. my understanding is that Motown had been waiting forever for this release from Stevie and then, because they were really banking on it having to be a massive seller, they shifted as much promotional activity as possible to SITKOL so that they could make money.

I think other groups suffered too because so much had to be pushed on Stevie. Diana released One Love In My Lifetime in Aug 76. and while the single edit might have been inferior to the lp version, it should have performed better than it did. Marvin released After The Dance around this time. Commodores release Hot on the Tracks and the single Just To Be Close to You

So there was a lot going on in late 76. I have seen a copy of Billboard magazine with the cover pic of MS&S on the front of the magazine. their tv appearances started to ramp up around this time too.

2. Group dynamics - I think the Pedro situation and group infighting was reaching a peak around here. Motown was growing tired of the endless problems within the group. Motown attempted to manage the group again but that didn't happen

3. wrong lead single - as a follow up to IGLMHDTW, Driving Wheel wasn't the strongest choice. the tone and style of the song wasn't a great fit. Let Yourself Go would have been a better lead single. also the single mix if Driving is inferior to the lp version.

4. group breakup - as stated, Mary's exit pretty much sealed the fate of MS&S album. it had been out barely two months when she announced.

I thought Mary decidedto leave after the MSG debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    With the right replacement both physically and talent wise that could have been a great line up.
    "Here's Brenda Holloway & the Supremes with their first hit '[[What Are You Gonna Do) When I'm Gone [[To the Disco)'".

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Motown 1064 : 'Love, I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good'/'This Is Why I Believe In You' was released here in the UK in March 1977...which I think made it the last official single release by The Supremes......
    You are correct. It was a UK only single. I far prefer it to DRIVING WHEEL which was wisely overlooked in the UK, but i would have prefered LET YOURSELF GO as the final single, but in the end it didn't really matter. The Supremes were finished.

I saw this trio perform in Detroit. I had seen the Supremes perform many times. I always observe what looks and feels right to the audience. Scherrie was outstanding and Susaye was a bubbling ray of sunshine. Those two women sang their butts offs. Unfortunately, watching the trio on stage something just did not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I saw this trio perform in Detroit. I had seen the Supremes perform many times. I always observe what looks and feels right to the audience. Scherrie was outstanding and Susaye was a bubbling ray of sunshine. Those two women sang their butts offs. Unfortunately, watching the trio on stage something just did not fit.
    The tensions were evident for all to see. Mary wanted out and whilst i could not blame her for that it left Scherrie and Susaye, two outstanding performers in no mans land. Whilst i adored MSS on record there was something just not quite right. The Supremes identity had been lost despite these girls producing some fine music. We can all have our opinions as to what was really going on here but it is perhaps best if we keep those thoughts to ourselves.