[REMOVE ADS]

1988 Induction ceremony ;Mary , Bruce etc Mike Love goes off

Mary and Bruce etc then Mike Love goes off after Dylan induction https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...kUGyoLQrj3PDHc

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary and Bruce etc then Mike Love goes off after Dylan induction https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...kUGyoLQrj3PDHc
    Luke which video is it? You included a link for a whole list of videos.

Top one. George Harrison.... Should be big red arrow at top to push

Top one. George Harrison.... Should be big red arrow at top to push
    Ok thanks. Mike Love gave a historical speech. LOL!

He sure did but he didn't know when to stop!!

He sure did but he didn't know when to stop!!
    I remember watching it on CNN. I just couldn't stop. I made a 45 min video tape of all the clips from that night. LOL

Why haven't they released lLittle RichArd inducting Supremes and Mary and Flos daughter acceptance speeches? Or aren't the Supremes as interesting ?? !!

Why haven't they released lLittle RichArd inducting Supremes and Mary and Flos daughter acceptance speeches? Or aren't the Supremes as interesting ?? !!
    I wonder about that too. Mary gave a great, heartfelt speech. They aired it on television. This makes me think about what was said here previously about Rock Critics and their disrespect for the Supremes.

Exactly . Me too. Did you hearLittle Richard? Didn't he say Diana Ross had been copying him for years?!! lol.

Exactly . Me too. Did you hearLittle Richard? Didn't he say Diana Ross had been copying him for years?!! lol.
    Yes, she even looked like him at times without a moustache. LOL

Luke, here it is. Mike Love let's them have it at 3:50 in this clip!

Mike Love is such a weirdo. Annoying Brian during his speech, interrupting and causing him to be nervous when he knows Brian has emotional issues. MAJOR jerk head. It sucks they don't show The Supremes and that Mary was given more inclusion in the songs. This is BS. I'm certain that Diana not being there makes them think no one cares about the other Supremes, but some of us really do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mike Love is such a weirdo. Annoying Brian during his speech, interrupting and causing him to be nervous when he knows Brian has emotional issues. MAJOR jerk head. It sucks they don't show The Supremes and that Mary was given more inclusion in the songs. This is BS. I'm certain that Diana not being there makes them think no one cares about the other Supremes, but some of us really do.
    Even though personally I was glad she didn't show up. She just looked like an asshole to everyone else for snubbing the Rock Hall.

Funny how no one ever does the math or connects the dots about Diana having given birth to Ross three months prior to the ceremony or the fact she was already expecting Evan when it took place. Taraborelli claims in his last book those pregnancies were difficult and that Diana went so underground for the second one that most people didn't know she had been expecting until the news broke in August. That was quickly followed by Evan's birth announcement days later. Two babies born ten months apart to a 44 year old. Lets see if any of you can slip on a Supreme gown and sing Baby Love at an induction ceremony while caring for a newborn and trying to get your post baby body back. Of course none of this fits the poor lonely snubbed Mary at the ceremony narrative put forth in Supreme Faith but thats her view and shes entitled to it as her truth - it just doesn't mean its the actual one or Diana's...
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Didn't Mike Love recently write about his addiction issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Funny how no one ever does the math or connects the dots about Diana having given birth to Ross three months prior to the ceremony or the fact she was already expecting Evan when it took place. Taraborelli claims in his last book those pregnancies were difficult and that Diana went so underground for the second one that most people didn't know she had been expecting until the news broke in August. That was quickly followed by Evan's birth announcement days later. Two babies born ten months apart to a 44 year old. Lets see if any of you can slip on a Supreme gown and sing Baby Love at an induction ceremony while caring for a newborn and trying to get your post baby body back. Of course none of this fits the poor lonely snubbed Mary at the ceremony narrative put forth in Supreme Faith but thats her view and shes entitled to it as her truth - it just doesn't mean its the actual one or Diana's...
    Nobody cares about that stuff. What people care about is that she NEVER shows up whenever the Supremes are honored but somehow is ALWAYS available when she is to receive a solo honor. She is a creep of the highest order in my opinion! She doesn't like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Didn't Mike Love recently write about his addiction issues?
    I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nobody cares about that stuff. What people care about is that she NEVER shows up whenever the Supremes are honored but somehow is ALWAYS available when she is to receive a solo honor. She is a creep of the highest order in my opinion! She doesn't like to share.
    I don't know that anyone cares who attended what 30 years ago. Diana WAS inbetween births and probably had no desire to cavort around with Mary after her trashing Diana on TV, Radio & in print for the previous two years. Awards mean more to some than others and Diana rarely accepts solo honors in person as well. She has never publicly accepted the key to the city on her tours that I know of, and the offers are frequent - usually resulting in no honor at all, but sometimes they give it to her anyway without her participation. I think she just doesn't GAF about awards anymore.

I don't know that anyone cares who attended what 30 years ago. Diana WAS inbetween births and probably had no desire to cavort around with Mary after her trashing Diana on TV, Radio & in print for the previous two years. Awards mean more to some than others and Diana rarely accepts solo honors in person as well. She has never publicly accepted the key to the city on her tours that I know of, and the offers are frequent - usually resulting in no honor at all, but sometimes they give it to her anyway without her participation. I think she just doesn't GAF about awards anymore.
    The Supremes were inducted into the R&B Hall of Fame less than a month ago and she did not show.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Thank you for bringing this up, Glenpwood. Diana was to tour right around this time period, and in fact, had a stop in Minneapolis which she ultimately cancelled due to her pregnancy. I think we all can agree that it's a rare occasion when Diana cancels a concert. Add to it, the wounds were still pretty fresh in 1988 from Mary's "Dreamgirl" book. Why on Earth would Diana want to put herself through that stress, especially at the expense of her baby?

Truth told, since Mary had kept the group alive for so long, it made sense for the Rock Hall to deal with Mary versus Diana. And if anything, I think Diana was generous to give Mary the spotlight that night. She certainly soaked it up, and I dare say, may have been overshadowed by the presence of her former singing partner.

I only wonder if Diana had been involved, if she would have pushed for Cindy to be inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Thank you for bringing this up, Glenpwood. Diana was to tour right around this time period, and in fact, had a stop in Minneapolis which she ultimately cancelled due to her pregnancy. I think we all can agree that it's a rare occasion when Diana cancels a concert. Add to it, the wounds were still pretty fresh in 1988 from Mary's "Dreamgirl" book. Why on Earth would Diana want to put herself through that stress, especially at the expense of her baby?

Truth told, since Mary had kept the group alive for so long, it made sense for the Rock Hall to deal with Mary versus Diana. And if anything, I think Diana was generous to give Mary the spotlight that night. She certainly soaked it up, and I dare say, may have been overshadowed by the presence of her former singing partner.

I only wonder if Diana had been involved, if she would have pushed for Cindy to be inducted.
    I doubt that Mary would have been overshadowed. She wasn't overshadowed by Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen and George Harrison who are far greater stars than Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

Your logic is real fair marybrewster but your dealing with a few Mary Wilson fans who harbor 30 year old grudges and have a real dislike and real obsession of Diane Ross. I dont care for Gladys Knight but i raerely if ever post in Gladys Knight threads. Why would I waste my energy and time on a woman i dont care for?

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Your logic is real fair marybrewster but your dealing with a few Mary Wilson fans who harbor 30 year old grudges and have a real dislike and real obsession of Diane Ross. I dont care for Gladys Knight but i raerely if ever post in Gladys Knight threads. Why would I waste my energy and time on a woman i dont care for?
    Roberta the word PATHETIC springs to mind,Mary Wilson would attend a stamp licking letter party just to be seen,as she is still only known for being a background singer,no comparison when it comes to the most successful singer of the 20th century,the amazing Diana Ross, she does n't need to bother if she is too busy living ,cheers.

mpn1jco Guest
    I think if Diana was not available, Mary Wilson an original member, was the logical choice to accept the honor. Was Cindy available to accept the honor along with Mary? Diana does not accept honors for the Supremes because I do not believe she wants to share the stage with Mary. I do remember Diana Ross stating in a Barbara Walters interview that Mary Wilson was touring singing 'her songs'. That indicates she doesn't think of the Supremes as a group effort.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    I think if Diana was not available, Mary Wilson an original member, was the logical choice to accept the honor. Was Cindy available to accept the honor along with Mary? Diana does not accept honors for the Supremes because I do not believe she wants to share the stage with Mary. I do remember Diana Ross stating in a Barbara Walters interview that Mary Wilson was touring singing 'her songs'. That indicates she doesn't think of the Supremes as a group effort.
    Exactly she has to sing Diana's songs as she has never hit with anything solo in 40 years plus,just saying.

I think we need to try and disagree without trashing ANY former Supreme. The First Lady always says "When they go low. We go high" Real great advice imo.

I can see why some don't take Supremes fans seriously

I think you are right.

I doubt that Mary would have been overshadowed. She wasn't overshadowed by Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen and George Harrison who are far greater stars than Diana Ross.
    I think Mary was overshadowed – greatly overshadowed. Even Mary felt overshadowed and wrote about it in her book saying that people didn't know who she was and that they weren't paying attention to her and that acted like Diane was the only supreme that mattered. Even in that clip Bruce and George and Mick are not bringing Mary into the song at all and that stinks. Mary was representing Supremes beautifully that night. Yes, it would've been better if Diana had been there and for that matter if Flo had been there and Cindy. That Mary did an admirable job and represented the Supremes well, and I feel that she was not treated correctly and she evidently agrees. Even today they are not even releasing the video of the Supremes being inducted and we all know that if Diane had been there and was on those clips that they would be releasing it.

I agree absolutely Mary was the logical choice – who else? Even if Diana had been there Mary should've been there as well. Yes, Cindy was available to except the honor however there was a big disagreement between Diana and Mary about that issue. Mary felt that, since "the Supremes" we're being inducted and not "Diana Ross and the Supremes" that Cindy did not belong because she was not a member of that grouping. Diana felt it was a slap in the face to Cindy and insisted that Cindy be included, however Mary felt it was unfair to Flo to include Cindy under that moniker. And since Diana could not provide proof that Cindy was a member of the Supremes, the rock 'n' roll Hall of Fame sided with Mary on this issue and did not include Cindy. Mary explained to Cindy that this was nothing against her and Cindy did not put up a fuss, however, she truly was not happy about it And in 2004, she still was not happy about it. Mary's version of the story is basically the same, except she says that that was Diana's original reason for not attending the ceremony in protest for Cindy's omission. Mary's version of the story is basically the same, except she says that that was Diana's original reason for not attending the ceremony in protest for Cindy's omission.

I think Roberta is dishing some good advice, gang. Scroll up a few and read it.

Hey Ralph I couldn't agree more, but I'm asking did you post that somehow referring to me and when I just wrote? Because I really wasn't trashing any Supremes, I certainly was not intending to as I have no malice in my heart for any Supremes and was just responding to the question honestly and I felt respectfully. If I'm somehow incorrect and how this is coming across please let me know where and what I said that was not acceptable and I will work on my verbiage as I really like this forum and I like that it has become so much more pleasant to be around. I would never in any way shape or form want to bring unpleasantness to this group. Thank you, Jason

No Jason. I wasn't referring to any particular post. I just think the thread is unraveling a bit. Your cred is good here.

gba Guest
    Interesting thread - did Mary not want Cindy included? If so, why not? From my perspective, everyone loved Cindy.

Take heed to Roberta's message, everyone. This issue has been talked about verbatim. The women are much older than they were when the original Supremes were inducted and times have changed and Cindy is ill so why go back 30 years over that mess?

Everything on this board is 30 years or older. We are discussing it because it interests us and I see no harm in it at all. I can see a lot of topics that don't interest me, but this is one that does as I know both Mary & Cindy and have some knowledge on the topic plus my own spin.

Mary's official version is in my post above, however I think there's a little more to all of this than meets the eye. I'm pretty certain that Mary has decided not appear as a Supreme in public unless she is with Diana or solo. I think that she does not want to be just another name in that group whereas if it's just her and Diana, she is in the elite class. I think this is one of the reasons why there has never been a 70s reunion, although the financial realities would be a big part of that as well. As far as Diana goes, I doubt very much that, understandably, she ever wanted to be standing next to Mary Wilson for any reason whatsoever so close to the Dreamgirl campaign. Perhaps she felt that if Cindy were there she would have a bit of a buffer between she and Mary, or maybe even if Cindy had been inducted Diana still might not have shown. Of course these are both all just conjecture on my part, except that Mary has not appeared publicly with the 70s Supremes including her last-minute bail out at the launch of the Jean Terrell Years. Mary did invite former 70s Supremes to HER appearance at the Grammy Hall of Fame talk however it was not a public appearance together it was a Mary Wilson appearance with them in the audience that does not count. I was at the opening of Motown the musical I saw the look on Diana's face as Mary approached her, and on my mothers eyes, I can testify that she did not look happy that Mary was approaching her at all. I wish that whole thing had been on video tape because the body language of both Mary and Diana spoke volumes and for that reason I doubt that we will ever see them together again publicly… Willingly anyway.

Bottom line: both women have more than earned the right to feel the way they feel and I don't think either of them owes us anything. If Mary does not want to appear for whatever reason whatsoever with the other 70 Supremes, she's earned that right and doesn't have to explain herself to anybody. If Diana chooses never to be around Mary Wilson again that is her right, and whatever her reasons, I feel it's none of our concern. I am thrilled that both of them are still with us performing and looking great I would not dare ask fate any more than that!

Mary looked and sounded great that night. Yoko Ono sang backup for her on "Stop In the Name of Love".etc. It was one big party and Mary was at the center of it all. Berry Gordy was there but kept a pretty low profile.

Were you there? Reason I am asking is because that's not at all what she said in her book.

Were you there? Reason I am asking is because that's not at all what she said in her book.
    I watched the ceremony on video. I saw all the reports on HLN and CNN and the televison networks. I also had 3-4 people I knew personally there, including Mary. She was the belle of the ball that night. She may have felt differently,but all eyes were on her!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-27-2016 at 11:49 AM.

I remember Mary walking down the grand staircase at the Waldorf and there were times where you couldn't even see her because of all of the camera flashes from the media. At the foot of the stairs there were dozens of reporters, photographers etc waiting for her [[this was all covered by CNN).

The Class of '88!

Attachment 11722

Name:  1988 rock hall.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  56.2 KB
    Last edited by marv2; 09-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.

yes, she even looked like him at times without a moustache. Lol
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...marv,you ain't right.

But it's true that Mary looked beautiful and she did a great job representing the Supremes, and I don't know why she would miss represent how she was treated at the event and her book, but I'm glad to know that she was treated with respect, honor and receive the attention do to someone of her statute. And thank you for that picture have Mary and Nick they look great together!
    I remember Mary walking down the grand staircase at the Waldorf and there were times where you couldn't even see her because of all of the camera flashes from the media. At the foot of the stairs there were dozens of reporters, photographers etc waiting for her [[this was all covered by CNN).

And Marv is right Diana did look like little Richard without the mustache like in Beachball etc. I've always thought she look like little Richard during that period: all eyebrows and lipstick! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm just sayin' hehehehehehehehe...............

But it's true that Mary looked beautiful and she did a great job representing the Supremes, and I don't know why she would miss represent how she was treated at the event and her book, but I'm glad to know that she was treated with respect, honor and receive the attention do to someone of her statute. And thank you for that picture have Mary and Nick they look great together!
    You are welcome.

And Marv is right Diana did look like little Richard without the mustache like in Beachball etc. I've always thought she look like little Richard during that period: all eyebrows and lipstick! LOL
    They wore their hair similarly and with the heavy pancake makeup, well.........................LOL!

I think Mary felt some stars weren't as welcoming as others. I think she signaled out maybe George Harrison and Elton as being very warm. Would have to check her book to make sure who. Of course considering our discussion of the hall of fame it wouldn't be entirely surprising

I think Mary felt some stars weren't as welcoming as others. I think she signaled out maybe George Harrison and Elton as being very warm. Would have to check her book to make sure who. Of course considering our discussion of the hall of fame it wouldn't be entirely surprising
    Yeah well she had to run from Muhammad Ali trying to chase her and Mike Love whispering sweet nothings in her ear. I am not even going to tell you how Mick Jagger was trying to push up on her LOL!!!! From what I remember everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Paul Shaffer to Ben E. King hugged and kissed her . They did everything short of crowning her Queen of the Universe that night. I don't know why she felt otherwise.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-27-2016 at 09:29 PM.