[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    If you're going to put SOLAR era Whispers into the mix, don't forget their first hit for the label [[still one of my favorite cuts by one of my favorite outfits). This is when Leon Sylvers came into his own as a truly great producer and musician.

Jerry, ironically that was the very first song they played at midnight New Years Eve 1980 at the party I was at!

Ok well then "Let's Start the Dance"!

Love like sunshine-teena marie

If somebody asked me what soul music is, I'd play this and ask if they had any more questions.

Marv, this song was one of the jams from my senior year in high school. It was from one of my favorite albums too.

Don't forget the song that broke Con Funk Shun on the national scene. This was their first big hit and they're still one of my favorite bands. Of course, their sound progressed a lot later but the horns were always a staple. I miss horns.

Cameo's first big record was "Rigor Mortis". Their sound also changed a lot but this was the cut. I wasn't old enough to go out when it broke but my big brother used to play it at home.

And wrapping up with "soul bands beginning with 'C'", here's the Commodores first hit. This song will be playing on a loop in my head until I go to bed tonight. The guitar and the keyboard solo are some of the best from that era. In my opinion, at least.

Don't forget the song that broke Con Funk Shun on the national scene. This was their first big hit and they're still one of my favorite bands. Of course, their sound progressed a lot later but the horns were always a staple. I miss horns.
    Jerry this one is from my Senior Year in High School. Our marching band use to play it during their half time shows and we use to play at all of our parties that Fall, 1977!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Love like sunshine-teena marie
    JAI, I wasn't sure, but is the one you meant?

Another from one of the very best years for recorded music.......1978! Third World and "Now That We Found " You better get ready to dance !

Last edited by marv2; 01-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry this one is from my Senior Year in High School. Our marching band use to play it during their half time shows and we use to play at all of our parties that Fall, 1977!
    Those horns are lit. Man, I miss horn sections in soul music.

Jerry, speaking of the Bar-Kays. This the one that was slammin' again during my senior year:

JAI, I wasn't sure, but is the one you meant?

HEHEHE,THAT'S IT MARV,NICE CATCH...[darned hooch].

It won't hurt-the o'jays

This will always be THE O'Jays record for me. They peaked at about the time this one jumped. And they rode that peak for years afterward. If I had to jump into a space ship that was leaving an exploding Earth and told to take the collective works of one soul group to listen to, I would be torn between the Four Tops, Spinners, and O'Jays. I probably wouldn't leave.

Like sister and brother-the drifters

There will be love-lou rawls

This:

Cameo will always be one of my favorite bands. This is from my favorite Cameo album.

And this is one of my favorite songs from the '80s by Cameo:

Finally, this is where they caught their true groove. They had this sound until they pared the group down to three members a few years later.

I hope this qualifies as a Classic Soul Jam as I don't think this song ever charted but I know I have heard it on the radio to this day.

What 'cha come out here for....

This will always be THE O'Jays record for me. They peaked at about the time this one jumped. And they rode that peak for years afterward. If I had to jump into a space ship that was leaving an exploding Earth and told to take the collective works of one soul group to listen to, I would be torn between the Four Tops, Spinners, and O'Jays. I probably wouldn't leave.
    I think IS NOT CASUALITY that the other mighty, mighty group, THE MIGHTY CLOUDS OF JOY versioned this great O'Jays song on their Live album on ABC REcords [[around 76 - 77), apart from "Love Train". This is a perfetc gospel - symphonic soul fusion!

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    I think IS NOT CASUALITY that the other mighty, mighty group, THE MIGHTY CLOUDS OF JOY versioned this great O'Jays song on their Live album on ABC REcords [[around 76 - 77), apart from "Love Train". This is a perfetc gospel - symphonic soul fusion!
    Just listened to it for the first time after reading your message. I both enjoyed it and felt a little sad to hear Joe Ligon singing and realizing that his passing is still fresh on the hearts of many.

Enchantment had a run of two fantastic albums in the late '70s. When you talk about smooth soul singing, it doesn't not come better than this.

Enchantment had a run of two fantastic albums in the late '70s. When you talk about smooth soul singing, it doesn't not come better than this.
    Another Great Addition!

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I hope this qualifies as a Classic Soul Jam as I don't think this song ever charted but I know I have heard it on the radio to this day.

What 'cha come out here for....

Great one! how I remember when, in 1978, I purchased my vynil copy of "Life Is A Song Worth Singing"... what a collection of SOUL GEMPS, EVERY TRACK... the mellow all time favorite of mine "Cold Cold World"... In fact, I think the "trilogy" Teddy Pendergrass self titled album, this second and the third, "Teddy" are FULL of "album tracks" and not "charted" numbers [["Easy, Easy, I Should Take It Easy", "Be Sure", "Do Me", "Life Is A Circle", "Set Me Free"... or the one included in "Let's Clean Up The Ghetto", the "raw soul" flavored "This Is The Time To Do It"... after this trilogy, IMHO, Teddy's music becomes more and more "smooth" and "corny"...

Forever-major lance

I and four of my high school buddies were to sing this at our school carnival just before we graduated. We practiced and then broke up over who was going to be the lead before the show! LOL!!!!

Memories from the Summer of 1970!

A single I played thousands of times in my teens is by The Floaters and I think is not good that they are remembered only for "Float On" as they were a "one hit wonder artist"

I refer to the dynamic and well orchestrated mid - up - tempo "I JUST WANNA BE WITH YOU":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzL30RtHTGI

After I purchased two albums at the same time and the same store "Floaters" and "Magic" [[this song belongs to the second)

Memories from the Summer of 1970!

Thanks Marv!! My favorite by them. They were amazing for being so young.

Song for our times - 'The Rich Get Richer' from the O'Jays Survival album [[Philadelphia International, 1975).
    Many soul artists accurately chronicled the black condition, but I'm not sure that even Curtis Mayfield pointed the finger with such unerring accuracy as the O'Jays did here.

I know it's Samba, but it's Brazilian Soul to me........................

I know it's Samba, but it's Brazilian Soul to me........................

Wow Marv - 🤗 Awesome. Great to see this and such a great song. Personally I think the composer of it Jorge Ben Jor does the best version and he even did a version on MTV that is an acoustic that rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    Song for our times - 'The Rich Get Richer' from the O'Jays Survival album [[Philadelphia International, 1975).
    Many soul artists accurately chronicled the black condition, but I'm not sure that even Curtis Mayfield pointed the finger with such unerring accuracy as the O'Jays did here.

Great addition Waynesville. So true. Love The O'Jays! Eddie and Walter are so amazing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Wow Marv - �� Awesome. Great to see this and such a great song. Personally I think the composer of it Jorge Ben Jor does the best version and he even did a version on MTV that is an acoustic that rocks.
    I like his version, Al Jarreau's, Mary Wilson's, The Black Eye Peas......but this is the one I loved since I was a kid! They rocked! LOL!

Ok, remember.........................

The long version........LOL!

Another choon about important things..The Supremes, Bill, When are You Coming Back?, Issued in 1970 as the B side of Up The Ladder To The Roof with Jean Terrell in absolutely stunning form.
    Why Motown never issued this as an A side defeats me, there were millions of Bills in the US at the time, and millions of their wives and girlfriends too

I'm a fan of late '70s/early '80s soul/R&B, which was trying to morph into a different direction than disco. For a while, it was hard to tell the difference between the two, which is why a lot of people think the hate toward disco was largely rooted in racism [[as well as homophobia). There was still a lot of fun music that was distinctly urban without the repetition of disco beats. That era saw a few bands that rose up for a short period of time but had songs that I still like and play. This is one of them:

And here is another one [[although it was a big hit at Black discos):

One of the most underrated songs of the period was D-Train's "Keep On". This song sounds like a New York song to me. It charted but I don't think it did as well nationally as I think it should have. Like the Sun song, it probably did better in the Black discos than in other clubs.

But if I need to get back to truly "classic soul", I don't think anybody will argue with that this one is as soulful as it gets:

And I'm not sure if "Thin Line Between Love and Hate" has been posted yet, but in my personal opinion, it is easily one of the greatest soul records ever.

Oh, and "Didn't I Blow Your Mind". I'm probably in the minority around here in believing that early '70s soul built upon and improved the foundation laid in the '50s and '60s. Somewhere around 1976 or so, it went off the rails and never came back.

Memories of the Fall of 1982! I use to argue with friends that this sounded an awful lot like "Watching Ladies" by Slave from 1980:

Oh, and "Didn't I Blow Your Mind". I'm probably in the minority around here in believing that early '70s soul built upon and improved the foundation laid in the '50s and '60s. Somewhere around 1976 or so, it went off the rails and never came back.
    No I am with you on that! Every song brings a memory for me. This one makes me remember right around Christmas 1969 and the start of 1970. Some of the best days when I was a kid.

And I'm not sure if "Thin Line Between Love and Hate" has been posted yet, but in my personal opinion, it is easily one of the greatest soul records ever.
    Classic, classic, classic!