[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Cake

The Cake

Interesting story from a group you don't hear much about. These are basically the liner notes from the CD.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/t...y_of_the_dolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJtvXF_tI1E
    Last edited by lakeside; 09-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Sure, lakeside, I remember The Cake. Their "Baby It's Me" is one of my all-time favorite Girl Group tracks. It's a Wall-Of-Sound-alike that could have fit comfortably on the Yellow/Red-era Philles label, with a lead vocal that sure sounds like Judy Craig of The Chiffons to me. I bought The Cake's album on U.S. Decca back in the day, but, with the exception of only one other track - "World Of Dreams", the album was a huge disappointment. The rest of the songs sounded about as girl-group-ish as the man in the moon! "Baby It's Me" and "World Of Dreams", however, still made the album worth having.

Since you already posted "Baby It's Me" above, here's "World Of Dreams" [[posted to YouTube by BaronVonPenguin):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArGiY-MOwY
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-16-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Honestly, I had never heard of them until a few years ago. I'm not sure where I was? I guess I was mainly focused on the Motown girl groups. Their second CD is even stranger. I think they were getting into other sounds at the time....kind of medieval sounding stuff with a little folk thrown in for good [[or not so good) measure. I still enjoy the double CD for what it is. I wish they had stuck to more of a girl group sound a la Spector or Motown as their voices pretty well suited that genre. It was a flame the quickly burned out.
    Last edited by lakeside; 09-16-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Honestly, I had never heard of them until a few years ago. I'm not sure where I was? I guess I was mainly focused on the Motown girl groups. Their second CD is even stranger. I think they were getting into other sounds at the time....kind of medieval sounding stuff with a little folk thrown in for good [[or not so good) measure. I still enjoy the double CD for what it is. I wish they had stuck to more of a girl group sound a la Spector or Motown as their voices pretty well suited that genre. It was a flame the quickly burned out.
    Lakeside, thanks for letting me know about The Cake's 2-disc CD set. I had no idea that it was available, nor was I aware that they had cut a second album on Decca. Thanks to you, I ordered the CD set from a 3rd-party Amazon dealer tonight, although it's out of print already and I had to pay a gouger's high price for it.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-16-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Lakeside, thanks for letting me know about The Cake's 2-disc CD set. I had no idea that it was available, nor was I aware that they had cut a second album on Decca. Thanks to you, I ordered the CD set from a 3rd-party Amazon dealer tonight, although it's out of print already and I had to pay a gouger's high price for it.
    I think you'll really enjoy the CD, Gary. It's truly a mixed bag....from the Spector girl group sound to medieval, psychedelic and folk all throw into the mix. Many of the songs are originals penned by the girls. In my first posting, I included the entire liner notes, which are extensive. Fortunately, I bought mine a few years ago when it was first released and reasonably priced. The CD is well worth owning from the historical perspective of late 60's girl groups. Plus, it's such a 'groovy' trip! LOL! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I think you'll really enjoy the CD, Gary., It's truly a mixed bag....from the Spector girl group sound to medieval, psychedelic and folk all throw into the mix. Many of the songs are originals penned by the girls. In my first posting, I included the entire liner notes, which are extensive. Fortunately, I bought mine a few years ago when it was first released and reasonably priced. The CD is well worth owning from the historical perspective of late 60's girl groups. Plus, it's such a 'groovy' trip! LOL! Enjoy!
    Groovy? Far out, Man! It's outa sight!!! HaHa!