[REMOVE ADS]

Bo-Mac's Lounge Detroit

For the last few weeks, I've been chatting with Ramona Collins [[Toledo -- Clark's Records "You've Been Cheating") and so asked her how she came to meet Rudy Robinson.
    Around 1998, she hire Rudy & his group to play behind her on some dates she secured up in the Ludington, Michigan area.
    She said she met him on jazz jam nights at Bo-Mac’s Lounge in Detroit [[281 Gratiot). That was of course the place where Bettye LaVette would play for $50 a night a few years before she was 'discovered' back in 2005/6/7/8. By all accounts, those jam nights @ Bo-Macs were legendary. Many nights, in the 90's the band at the club was led by Teddy Harris Jr [[who was a member of Choker Campbell's Band that went out backing the Motown Revue's in the 60's + played on Marvin's "What's Going On' album).
    Ramona never gave up on performing since the time her 45 was released [[1970). The last 30+ years she's mainlty been performing jazz sets in the greater Toledo area.
    BACK TO MY QUESTION THOUGH ... I know the owner of Bo-Macs was killed in a hit & run back in 2002 [[around the same time that Rudy passed) ... but when did the club close, shirtly after it's owner was killed ??
    Did Rudy lead the band at the club back in the 80's / 90's ?? .. I'd guess so.

Bo-Mac's Lounge, wow now that's a memory. I use to go there back in the 80s/early 90s. I've also had the pleasure of hearing Ramona Collins sing several times in Toledo. I have met Martha Harris, Teddy Harris' wife, but I cannot tell you if Rudy Robinson was the bandleader or not at Bo-Mac's.

I went to Bomacs lounge in 1992.
    We went twice actually...Friday night jazz session with Teddy Harris combo, and then we were invited back for a Sunday Big Band night. Lottie the Body was in charge..it seemed. We met Pat Lewis there...I gave her my Golden World t shirt!
    I bought Teddy's group some drinks and they joined us for the evening...we were asking them Detroit related questions..they were amazed at what/who we knew in terms of records/labels/artists ets. We met a saxophone player..the name Lasley springs to mind..who told me he played on some Chuck Jackson 45s.

A Detroit jazz museum was being opened , I think at/near the Graystone. The gang at Bomac's invited us along...we met Beans Bowled and Johnny Allen. The walls had the names of several Detroit singers that Northern Soul fans would know. It was a great visit.
    PS we had been advised to go to Bomacs by Martha Reeves, who we were due to meet, but unfortunately she had to attend the funeral of Mary Wilson's son/daughter? In LA. We met her a few days later.
    I wrote a letter thanking Lottie and Bomacs but did not get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I went to Bomacs lounge in 1992.
    We went twice actually...Friday night jazz session with Teddy Harris combo, and then we were invited back for a Sunday Big Band night. Lottie the Body was in charge..it seemed. We met Pat Lewis there...I gave her my Golden World t shirt!
    I bought Teddy's group some drinks and they joined us for the evening...we were asking them Detroit related questions..they were amazed at what/who we knew in terms of records/labels/artists ets. We met a saxophone player..the name Lasley springs to mind..who told me he played on some Chuck Jackson 45s.

A Detroit jazz museum was being opened , I think at/near the Graystone. The gang at Bomac's invited us along...we met Beans Bowled and Johnny Allen. The walls had the names of several Detroit singers that Northern Soul fans would know. It was a great visit.
    PS we had been advised to go to Bomacs by Martha Reeves, who we were due to meet, but unfortunately she had to attend the funeral of Mary Wilson's son/daughter? In LA. We met her a few days later.
    I wrote a letter thanking Lottie and Bomacs but did not get a reply.
    That's when they all went out to LA for Mary's son Rafael's funeral in January of 1994.

Was it 1994....my memory is ,as the Temptations might say, "Fading Away"

Just checked..the accident was 29 January 1994.
    That ties in with my visit..early February 1994
    A few days before our trip, the UK newspapers carried stories of the Detroit river freezing solid.
    It was cold when we arrived.
    On the day we left, there was a huge snowfall...I have never seen such a strong snowfall...in a matter of hours it was about 3 foot deep. I distinctly remember sitting on the plane whilst air crew were on cranes de-icing the wings!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Just checked..the accident was 29 January 1994.
    That ties in with my visit..early February 1994
    A few days before our trip, the UK newspapers carried stories of the Detroit river freezing solid.
    It was cold when we arrived.
    On the day we left, there was a huge snowfall...I have never seen such a strong snowfall...in a matter of hours it was about 3 foot deep. I distinctly remember sitting on the plane whilst air crew were on cranes de-icing the wings!
    Yes there was a huge contingent from Detroit that went out to LA for Mary's son's funeral. Some of the ladies stayed behind in LA for a few weeks to attend to her.

Thanks for the replies but does anyone know when the club closed ??

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Thanks for the replies but does anyone know when the club closed ??
    Bettye said it was very soon after the owner died. He had a partner that could not keep it open. She gave me some leads to ask for a date. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Kevin.

Bo-Macs Lounge, Gatiot ... think the club was housed in the red brick building on the left ...Attachment 11765