[REMOVE ADS]

Early 70s Atlanta Soul

Hi!

I want to post my latest review also here, because surprisingly there are also some Detroit connections,

http://www.soulexpress.net/southernawareness.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

HI Heikki,

IMO the opening track by Dorothy Norwood "Big Boat Ride" is the best track of all... the arrangement is very powerful and ear-grabbing........ the booklet indicates that Dorothy opened for the Rolling Stones because Mick Jagger was so taken with her vocals....." In 1972 Norwood agreed to do a 30 state American tour with Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones. She was able to spread the Gospel in a mission field that was virtually closed to gospel artists."
    The King Hannibal track "Party Life" is also especially interesting to these ears. I love the Hotlanta Sound and the Ace CDs are excellent, though I do believe this is marginally the weakest of the four issues.................
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 08-31-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Slight digression but Mighty Hannibal with Elton John... Elton has a very long history and much credibility in supporting true black soul music.....

Yes Mike, the whole Hotlanta series is fascinating!

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Slight digression but Mighty Hannibal with Elton John... Elton has a very long history and much credibility in supporting true black soul music.....

Yes he does. Elton is a true soul music fanatic. When i worked with him we bonded well due to our mutual love of the genre. Back in the 90's he would pick up around 4 copies of a cd and have one in each of his homes. He loved the Ace compilations and i have little doubt he will pick up a few copies of this latest Atlanta Soul compilation. I have yet to purchase my own copy but i adore the previous volumes, and i am sure i will appreciate this one too. Just as i fear the well is finally running dry Ace come up with yet another great compilation [[i am assuming that i will like it). You have to love the guys at Ace. Now if only that deal to release physical product from Universal could be agreed i would be a very happy man.

I got to see Elton a few times back in the 60's when he was still Reginald Dwight and a touring musician backing up visiting soul acts such as Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I got to see Elton a few times back in the 60's when he was still Reginald Dwight and a touring musician backing up visiting soul acts such as Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles.
    Oh what great memories!! Love him or hate him but that guy is a star in every sense of the word.

I've heard that Elton could be a very nasty cat sometimes. Heard he called Stevie Wonder
    a motherf*cker and speculated he was faking being blind...

Elton can be a diva at times & he has a bad temper. I'm sure Stevie & he made up after the spat.
    Elton has remained close friends with Patti LaBelle since he backed her up on shows in the UK in the mid 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I've heard that Elton could be a very nasty cat sometimes. Heard he called Stevie Wonder
    a motherf*cker and speculated he was faking being blind...
    Yes he could be very unpleasant. He has an awful temper and can come out with some terrible insults, but once he has calmed down he is very apologetic. Such tantrums are fairly rare and for the most part he is a very pleasant guy to know, and he is one of the most generous stars I have ever worked with.
    Never heard the Stevie insult. Not sure if that is true but I do know that Elton and Stevie have been good friends for over 40 years.